Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,184 times

Advertisements

Well if they're anything like my parents, they'll move south. My folks couldn't afford Boston anymore between the rents and the taxes so they moved to Atlanta a few years ago and have been living like kings in a 2 story house with a pool and huge yard. That's how to go from living in the ghetto to being upper-middle class in 1 easy lesson: Sell your stuffy 200 year old condo and go somewhere it never snows.

I've been down there before but it isn't really my cup of tea, having to drive everywhere and sit in never-ending traffic at all hours of the day, but at least they're happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Well if they're anything like my parents, they'll move south. My folks couldn't afford Boston anymore between the rents and the taxes so they moved to Atlanta a few years ago and have been living like kings in a 2 story house with a pool and huge yard. That's how to go from living in the ghetto to being upper-middle class in 1 easy lesson: Sell your stuffy 200 year old condo and go somewhere it never snows.

I've been down there before but it isn't really my cup of tea, having to drive everywhere and sit in never-ending traffic at all hours of the day, but at least they're happy.
What happened to your folks mainly happens if people are at least lower middle class in places like New York or Boston. Obviously they had some money as they were able to purchase a home.

It would be different for the actual destitute who get pushed out of NYC to other places. They are not getting a nice house with a pool. The cost of living is lower in the south, yes, but that doesn't mean a person with no job skills is going to live like a king. If you're low income its trailor living for you, or some sort of rental situation.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Yes, Not many NYC Transplants in the Upstate ghettos despite what some may believe.
That's not true. I've lived in Cortland, NY, and there are a fair number of NYC transplants in upstate towns like that. Its cheap to live in Cortland (you can get an one bedroom apartment for $400 a month with utilities included) so yes, they have certainly attracted a decent number of ex NYC residents. With low rents like that, you can pay the rent working even full time minimum wage jobs, or with SSI/Disability if you're on that.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Nailed it. Just one of these buildings is enough to stop progressive up and coming neighborhoods from taking off. Sadly, our politicans injected these buildings all ove the place. No plan, they just caved in to those with more influence, more money, more power and built accordingly.
Well, you know, the projects didn't stop neighborhoods like Chelsea, Lower East Side, etc from gentrifying. To tell you the truth, the Upper East Side and the Upper West Side themselves have housing projects. Many of the most expensive neighborhoods have projects in them.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYorker View Post
probably to westchester county where they are moving to. The suburbs are going broke and people from the burbs are moving back to the city. Its is now cheaper to live in the Burbs than it is to live in the City. A house in the Burbs is more affordable than one in the City. Rents are also cheaper. People from Brooklyn and the Bronx are heading to White plains and Westchester and Connecticut in Droves.
Suburban life can't be that cheap. For starters, you have to drive. Commuter railroads don't go everywhere, and they are pretty expensive to take too. Westchester and CT are not poor people's paradise.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
The only "affordable" area I can think of in Westchester is Southwest Yonkers by City Hall. All those side streets are a bunch of low income poorly maintained housing where I suspect people may move to. Other than that, I would guess poor people will move further upstate like Newburgh or leave NY State all together and move down south like Georgia where you get more bang for your buck. Alot of Black people from NY who can no longer affordable NY have moved down south. They did the right thing in moving instead of starving in NY.
Yes, a lot of black people priced out of New York have moved to the South. Also, a lot of blacks and hispanics who can't afford to NY have also moved further upstate to small towns in the finger lakes, and other parts of upstate. Some have moved to Pennslyvania.

And yes, living in a small town is always better than homelessness.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
the closest, least expensive places.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYorker View Post
probably to westchester county where they are moving to. The suburbs are going broke and people from the burbs are moving back to the city. Its is now cheaper to live in the Burbs than it is to live in the City. A house in the Burbs is more affordable than one in the City. Rents are also cheaper. People from Brooklyn and the Bronx are heading to White plains and Westchester and Connecticut in Droves.
Actually, Westchester county has experienced a huge boom in rentals over the last two years with rents going up a great deal. (The sales market has been largely flat in most areas, though lately prices and activity has been going back up.) Anyone looking for a cheap rental in Westchester will be very hard pressed to find one outside of the few poor cities like Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, and Peekskill. As for people moving out of the burbs to the city, I've never known of anyone who has done that. My neighborhood is indeed full of people who've recently moved up from Brownstone Brooklyn and the Upper West Side to get better schools and a better overall lifestyle, but none of them are poor.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Actually, Westchester county has experienced a huge boom in rentals over the last two years with rents going up a great deal. (The sales market has been largely flat in most areas, though lately prices and activity has been going back up.) Anyone looking for a cheap rental in Westchester will be very hard pressed to find one outside of the few poor cities like Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, and Peekskill. As for people moving out of the burbs to the city, I've never known of anyone who has done that. My neighborhood is indeed full of people who've recently moved up from Brownstone Brooklyn and the Upper West Side to get better schools and a better overall lifestyle, but none of them are poor.
I think you have recent graduates from the suburbs who at the beginning of their careers are more likely to live in the city. Some will stay and some won't.

I had a friend who worked at Morgan Stanley, and she worked 80 t0 100 hours a week. For someone like her, living in the suburbs wasn't an option. She lived downtown Manhattan, within walking distance of her job. A certain number of people working hectic hours do have to move to the city, to be closer to work.

It all depends on what you do.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
I believe dma1250 was talking about families now settled in Weschester; they are unlikely to move back to cities. Young adults moving to cities to leave the nest and live independently are fairly common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City