Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the MTA ever bring back the 1-day fun pass?
Yes 3 21.43%
No 11 78.57%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

For a person who only visits New York City a few times a year, I found the 1-day fun pass to be very convenient. I was upset when the MTA discontinued it about 2 years ago. For tourists who want to travel all over the city it's very annoying to pay fare every time they get on a subway line. Using the 1-day fun pass made things much more quick and efficient until the MTA got rid of it. I find this unacceptable and somewhat embarrassing for a city that's suppose to be the best in the country when it comes to mass transit. My question to all of you is "Do you think the MTA will ever bring back the 1-day fun pass?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
The MTA has problems balancing it's own budget, and would therefore put the the citizens of New York City/State first since most of the MTA is taxpayer funded.

Most tourists visit for longer than 1 day, and end up with a 7 day Metrocard, which for $30 isn't a bad deal at all- considering how many places tourists tend to go. You will never see any new unlimited metrocards pop up for sale, though annual metrocards via payroll deductions are becoming a norm.

While tourists aren't treated as nicely as they used to be by the MTA, it's still less deplorable than a situation like the SF BART, charging a $5 surcharge on all BART tickets that start or end at SFO airport. That strictly hoses tourists and makes public transit less desirable, and was how they opted to rebudget rather than share the costs amongst all riders.

I don't necessarily find any of this embarrassing as a New Yorker though. Those who live here tend to have monthly metrocards, it sucks they are getting much more expensive but it's still far cheaper than it should be to balance the budget.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I voted no.

It seems to me that the exact reason they got rid of it is because it only benefits tourists by allowing them to pay less money to the MTA. The MTA needs tourist dollars.

Getting rid of the fun pass obviously did not hurt tourism in the city, so it seems to me they did the right thing.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Using the 1-day fun pass made things much more quick and efficient until the MTA got rid of it. I find this unacceptable and somewhat embarrassing for a city that's suppose to be the best in the country

Two more points:

What does "quick and efficient" have to do with it? Just buy a $10 or $20 MTA pay-per-ride card. You only have to stand at the machine once to buy it, then you swipe it every time you ride.

Also, I read that the fun pass made things too easy for scammers, as they would buy them in bulk (to get around the 18 minute rule) and then sell rides for $2.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Two more points:

What does "quick and efficient" have to do with it? Just buy a $10 or $20 MTA pay-per-ride card. You only have to stand at the machine once to buy it, then you swipe it every time you ride.

Also, I read that the fun pass made things too easy for scammers, as they would buy them in bulk (to get around the 18 minute rule) and then sell rides for $2.
For a tourist that is just only visiting the city for 1-day may not know the exact amount of times they will use the subway for the day and could easily over budget their pay per ride card. For a tourist who is staying for a least a week, than this may not be a big deal but for tourists who are only in the city for a day or so this can be a huge annoyance. For a subway system as large and complex as NYC is, a daily pass really helps.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
For a tourist that is just only visiting the city for 1-day may not know the exact amount of times they will use the subway for the day and could easily over budget their pay per ride card. For a tourist who is staying for a least a week, than this may not be a big deal but for tourists who are only in the city for a day or so this can be a huge annoyance. For a subway system as large and complex as NYC is, a daily pass really helps.
If they don't know how much they're going to use, start with 5 bucks, and add as you need it.

You want the convenience of unlimited, pay the $29/30 dollars for a 7 day unlimited.
Hell, many metros don't have unlimited anything.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
While tourists aren't treated as nicely as they used to be by the MTA, it's still less deplorable than a situation like the SF BART, charging a $5 surcharge on all BART tickets that start or end at SFO airport. That strictly hoses tourists and makes public transit less desirable, and was how they opted to rebudget rather than share the costs amongst all riders.
Not really any different than the $5 Airtrain charge.

The one day fun pass might encourage more random trips. Sometimes when I visit I might avoid back and forth short trips around Manhattan or walk instead. Not usually watching $ that carefully on a visit, but it could encourage more city exploration.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If they don't know how much they're going to use, start with 5 bucks, and add as you need it.

You want the convenience of unlimited, pay the $29/30 dollars for a 7 day unlimited.
Hell, many metros don't have unlimited anything.
This might be the one thing that Septa has complete superiority over MTA.

SEPTA | One-Day Individual & Family Independence Pass

Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not really any different than the $5 Airtrain charge.

The one day fun pass might encourage more random trips. Sometimes when I visit I might avoid back and forth short trips around Manhattan or walk instead. Not usually watching $ that carefully on a visit, but it could encourage more city exploration.
The AirTrain goes a significant distance, and while I wish there were no fee for it, it does have to cover it's costs. Residents can make a significant saving buying a 10-pass.

The BART charge is simply a airport surcharge fee. It's cheaper to go from SF city to Oakland on BART, thru the transbay tube and triple the distance than it is to go to SFO airport.
For two people that 10 dollar charge makes it often less affordable to take public transit than to share a cab, which is certainly the opposite of the purpose of public transportation.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
When you mentioned quick and efficient, it appeared you were talking about ease of use. I guess now you are talking about trying to save a buck or two. Again, the MTA doesn't seem interested in helping the tourist save a buck or two -- they would prefer the tourist dollars go into their coffers. I know this doesn't help your wallet and perhaps it annoys you, but MTA doesn't care. And as a resident, I don't care whether a tourist has to spend a few dollars extra either.

Every time I have visited Chicago, Boston and DC, I have ended up with extra money on that city's metro card that I have then ended up taking home with me and left in a dresser drawer somewhere until either 1) it expires 2) I forget about it or 3) I am lucky enough to remember to bring the card with me the next time I visit that city. In addition, DC has the added complication of zone fares, which means you have to be a bit more aware when riding to make sure you have enough money on your card and you have to remember to carry your card with you for swiping on your way in as well as out!

So with all these other cities getting my extra tourist dollars and not (as far as I know) offering a one-day pass, I am not in favor of offering NYC tourists what essentially amounts to discounts to use our system. Sorry. You lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: