Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 PM

34 posts, read 64,219 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of visiting new York in the spring. What I've been wondering
is if the city has recovered from hurricane sandy. I've been hearing a lot of
rumors about the condition of the city. Can anyone tell me what the true state
of NYC is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Most areas are fine. Come on over.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:00 PM

387 posts, read 679,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Most areas are fine. Come on over.
Yea you think?? Been down to Manhatan ave, New Dorp beach, fox beach, midland & South beach lately?? Maybe take a ride up Hylan blvd from Lincoln ave to about Seaview ave. How about Father Cap?It's not fine.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Most of New York is fine but as evident by the posts above Staten Island and the Rockaways in Queens are still recovering.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Hurricane Sandy was only a temporary inconvenience for the vast majority of New Yorkers.

The hardest hit were those living in older housing in low laying areas of Atlantic coast. Areas like Rockaway Queens, Coney Island Brooklyn and Southeastern Staten Island.

For 98% of the city, nothing has changed.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Yea you think?? Been down to Manhatan ave, New Dorp beach, fox beach, midland & South beach lately?? Maybe take a ride up Hylan blvd from Lincoln ave to about Seaview ave. How about Father Cap?It's not fine.
I know, dear. I live on SI. I doubt the OP plans on visiting us.

I was all over Manhattan yesterday. No problems other than the downtown subway stations.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Most of the areas that a tourist would visit are fine.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post

While many New Yorkers consider these places home, many tourists have never heard of these places. That's why there is sometimes confusion by those who think New York only encompasses Manhattan on what the condition of "the city" is after the hurricane. When people see images on the tv but aren't familiar with the vast amount of neighorhoods, or the five boroughs, they sometimes assume a different reality.

To OP - most likely, where you are visiting you will not notice remnants of a storm. But do understand this is a very different story elsewhere in the city unfortunately.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
The only parts of Manhattan that actually got flooded where parts of the Lower East Side and parts of downtown Manhattan. Areas in Manhattan that lost electricity (south of 34th street) had power restored way back in early Nov. Basically, particularly the main tourist areas of Manhattan, if you walked around you'd never know anything happened. Most of Queens is okay too, except for the beach areas like the Rockaways. Brooklyn as whole is fine, except for again, Red Hook and the beach areas. The Bronx is fine except for maybe parts of Throggs Neck.

For the city as a whole, Sandy did not cause much damage and overall things are fine. Not for those living on barriers islands or on former marshland, but that is a whole different matter.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM

How To Help Hurricane Sandy Victims This Holiday Season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City