Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Most people I know lived just fine....the idea of a warzone was primarily those who were trouble makers...and no matter where they went the trouble followed.
stick to your boosterism and promotions anyone who REALLY knows the bronx knows the truth!

Old 06-19-2008, 03:12 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
Hey Gerri..where are you living now? Have you come by the old neighborhood lately? You should do a search on here for Bronx and South Bronx threads especially...you can learn alot about the changes that are occuring. It's interesting to say the least.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,807 times
Guywithacause,

You wrote,"It is the VERY extreme case that someone has a high enough income that they no longer qualify to live in the projects". What exactly did you mean? Are you saying that to intially move in the projects, it is easy? Or are you trying to say they will let you stay if you used to qualify but have since earned a higher income. Either way, you are mistaken.

The max a single person can make and still get into the pjs is around $40,000 a year. This is not a lot of money. Furthermore, someone making close to the maximum salary allowed would be VERY low priority, especially if they had no children and were not residing in a shelter. The waiting list for the pjs is very long. Homeless mothers and abused mothers get the first priority.

A family member of mine worked for housing for many years. You can be asked to leave your apt if you no longer qualify financially. However, it is not always a high priority for housing. It depends on the size of your apt. Bigger apartements are needed for large families. If housing wants your apt, they will find a way to get it.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 AM

I agree that with your comment Sam82...the issue is however, that people are not as dumb as you believe. They are well aware of the income limits..who would not change jobs, or take a pay cut to stay in the housing projects and live virtually rent free? The other option of course is to move to a market rate rental..which in this city, just abotu everywhere, is far more than the rent in the projects. So the net effect is, very few are actually asked to leave due to having a high enough income...as it is those in the housing projects are absolutely destitute and have more of a chance at hitting the lottery for $50 Million than earning $40,000.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
stick to your boosterism and promotions anyone who REALLY knows the bronx knows the truth!
Guy has lived in the Bronx pretty much his whole life, I think he knows the Bronx a whole lot better than you do.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 06-20-2008 at 08:22 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 08:00 AM

Thanks NYur...but I just ignore that one...eventually...he/she/it will go away. But back to the post..the Bronx is clearly not in a decline, especially not areas like the South Bronx (specifically from East to West, 163 street and down, areas including Melrose, Concourse, Hunts Point, Mott Haven) where major investment, public and private, as well as greening, new parks, transportation, etc are transforming the areas into very livable, healthy, dynamic, working/middle class enclaves.

That being said, I think there are some neighborhoods that are stagnant..drifting towards increased crime...specifically areas in the central Bronx like Tremont, University Heights, Mount Eden, etc....those communities are not getting the investment, attention that areas in the South Bronx have been earning...and some deterioration is occuring.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 AM

75 posts, read 92,897 times
If you want to move you can move out of the Bronx. There are plenty of low prices houses in Orange county, NY Eagle's Point - Condominium OR Woodside Knolls - New Construction Single-Family and Townhome is Orange County, Wallkill, NY (http://www.bakerresidential.com/residential/profile.asp?CID=1314&page=profile - broken link) Go live there! I like the Bronx, i like trhe close proximity to the city. I dont believe that the Bronx is declining, i am a young professional who know the Bronx very well and i have done my research and decided to invest in the south bronx and brought my condo. I started taking salsa class on 138th and third ave, I felt like i should be supporting local businesses in my area. I could have easily taken the many salsa classes offered in midtown where i work. I hear so many people on these threads talking about if i could leave i would, so leave then! Or did you create a situation for yourself that you can not leave? No ones fault but your own!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Easy now jts...I agree with you. It is human nature to whine, complain and criticize..that's how the bulk of the population feels "fulfilled" and better about themselves...by looking down on others..no matter what they do/not do.

I am glad you are my new neighbor..welcome! There are many new people joining you that are equally happy to be living in the Bronx, and investing in their future. I am looking forward to all the new development, retail and parks coming online in the next 2 years!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM

59 posts, read 238,197 times
I am tired of people always speaking negatively about the Bronx half of them probably don't live here nor have they ever been in the bronx they are just going by what they see on t.v or read in the papers. The Bronx has it's good/bad parts just like any other borough in the city.

Me personally I am happy but somewhat sad to see the changes being made in the Bronx being born and raised here I don't want what happened in Harlem and some parts of BK to happen here. When you walk through Harlem and Bk it's not the same anymore it has become so commerical and superficial that it lost what made those areas popular and distinct. I am starting to see that slowly happen to the Bronx. Does anyone else feel like that? Or is it just me? I still love it regardless. I just hope the Bronx never loses the bodegas they make the BEST sandwiches.

By the way good posts guywithacause

Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 PM

I think what has/is occuring in Harlem is long over due. Let's be real here..how can we continue to have an area in such a state of disarray, chaos, and neglect? The area was desperate for investment and I, along with many true Harlemites, are happy to see the reinvestment, new faces, new businesses, and attention....it's about time.

You are right though..when you walk through Harlem it is not the same....there are not nearly as many burned/abandoned buildings, not as many drug addicts roaming the streets, crime is way down, and you can actually walk around and not worry (tto much) about being attacked.

I am glad to see the changes that are ocurring in the Bronx as well..and for the same reasons. I can take or leave the bodegas...in general they are way too dirty and the losers hanging out there constantly are a deterrent...the idea that you would eat a sandwich from a bodega makes my stomach turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City