Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times

Advertisements

Let's recap. What's been the best and worst we've seen this year in the city?

Psychos pushing people onto the tracks of on-coming trains is probably up there amongst the worst.

One year less of the Bloomberg administration has to be amongst the best.

What else has been good and bad for NYC this year ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times

Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 PM

This hood gets the 'father of the year' award.

-----------------------------------------
The 14-year-old and his father, 34, were set upon by three masked assailants as they stepped out of their Jefferson Ave. home in Bedford-Stuyvesant at 12:15 a.m., cops said.

'The dad runs inside the building and he locks the kid outside. We dont know if that was intentional,' said a law enforcement source.

A gunman 'puts the gun to the kids head and tells the father to come outside. The father doesnt, the source added.

The teen was then shot in the back, police said.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1227307

Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Hurricane Sandy By the Numbers: A Superstorm’s Statistics, One Month Later | TIME.com

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM

This is probably the worst thing not only this year but in decades.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
This is probably the worst thing not only this year but in decades.
I know people will gloss over the negatives and talk about the doctored crime rates diminishing and the beyond belief doctored murder statistics and claim NYC is better off than we've ever been but this Hurricane Sandy has to be the biggest story specifically for NYC of the year... People living in areas not Zone A or B won't completely understand but if you took the time out of your schedule to help those who took the full blow of Hurricane Sandy you'd understand how devastating this storm truly was for so many New Yorkers...

Honorably mention only because there were families related to the victims would be the Sandy Hook massacre... If it were to have happened here it would by far be number one... The last time I actually sat down and cried listening to the news was eleven years ago on September 11th... This tragedy was probably one of the most disgusting and heinous crimes I have ever witnessed...

Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I know people will gloss over the negatives and talk about the doctored crime rates diminishing and the beyond belief doctored murder statistics and claim NYC is better off than we've ever been but this Hurricane Sandy has to be the biggest story specifically for NYC of the year... People living in areas not Zone A or B won't completely understand but if you took the time out of your schedule to help those who took the full blow of Hurricane Sandy you'd understand how devastating this storm truly was for so many New Yorkers...

My lights hardly flickered that day. But I have volunteered a few times out in the rockaways. It's still pretty damn devastated. Most people don't realize.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM

Now that the worst of 2012 has been covered there were smaller and relative to the circumstances fairly inconsequential goods and bads to NYC 2012...

Good- As much the kids today like to hype up how three letter gangs are what's in vogue now for NYC and how gangs are popping up all over the place... Just based on the eye test, I'd say this was one of the best (best meaning less occurences) years for gang activity since I've been alive...

While I don't want to overstate this... It just feels as if for the first time in NYC there is no major gang presence that has a stranglehold on inner city youth... The last couple of years it seemed as if the YG'z and YB'z (Young Gunnaz and Young Bosses) were going to become a major problem for the youth within the remaining struggling areas of this city... Thankfully, these crews had no direction and have not been the problem that many thought they would become... Similarly, while long term gangs like the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings still hold weight in this city and have a number of active members... There are nowhere near as strong or as violent as they used to be... You'll hear of random cases hear or there that appear to be gang-related but it has cooled off considerably...

Another positive for NYC 2012 is that there were a number of schools that had done poorly the previous year/s that improved substantially and were taken off the needed improvement list or were given another chance as opposed to closing and re-opening as multiple charter schools... I am a big proponent of Public Schools because I do feel charter schools are an obscene waste of money where you have to hire multiple principals, administrative assistants, teachers for a building that typically catered to only one school... This is unnecessary money being spent that could be better served to give the students and teachers at these public schools more resources that it seems as if so many schools across the country already have...

Worsts for 2012 -

1) A further gap spread between rich and poor along with a fading middle class population...
2) Because of the increasing need to be politically correct, it seems as if race tensions have only increased in recent years (whereas 5-10 years ago this wasn't as big of a problem)
3) Bloomberg's continued failed attempts at speaking Spanish during Hurricane Sandy press conferences... (because that is what's important at that time as opposed to having a translator)

These are just some of the best and worst from my list...

Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
My lights hardly flickered that day. But I have volunteered a few times out in the rockaways. It's still pretty damn devastated. Most people don't realize.
Exactly... I did the same thing... I volunteered with my church helping victims from different congregations who lost everything over there and it was incredible how just a couple miles away from me, the neighborhoods were like night and day...

I don't know if I mentioned this before but one of the sisters from a congregation down there who I helped not only lost all of her important documentation (her family came from Poland) as well as food and other things, but because she had left to visit family back in her country, her husband died from a heart attack in his home while hurricane sandy devastated his home and left him without any help medical or family help for days... Who knows whether or not he would have survived had he been tended to immediately... You can only imagine how it was trying to help remove all of her husbands things from the wreckage while she was there... It really was an eye-opening experience...

Here you had folks making fun of the storm and tempting hurricane sandy by heading outside doing stupidities knowing the potential risk involved... And not too far from them were people losing everything they had including family members...

Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 PM

City officials report the lowest number of murders since the stats are being recorded. So that's good news.

On the other hand, iPhones and apple products are being stolen at record numbers.

What else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City