U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,595,473 times

Advertisements

Friends from out of town coming in for the holidays and want to know: Do you tip the doorman at a hotel when he gets you a cab? Since I dont stay at hotels here I dont have the foggiest idea. I will do it at a downtwon hotel in other big cities, but is it expected/normal here, is it optional, or what?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,568,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Friends from out of town coming in for the holidays and want to know: Do you tip the doorman at a hotel when he gets you a cab? Since I dont stay at hotels here I dont have the foggiest idea. I will do it at a downtwon hotel in other big cities, but is it expected/normal here, is it optional, or what?
$2 to 3$ is average, Given it's the holidays just throw the door-person a $5. it will be appreciated.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 PM

13,315 posts, read 12,386,304 times
ALL tipping is optional. However, yes, it's probably expected.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,595,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
$2 to 3$ is average, Given it's the holidays just throw the door-person a $5. it will be appreciated.
That's aobout what I would have thought. Thanks

Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM

46,038 posts, read 32,906,867 times
Yes you should tip the doorman when they grab you a cab. I was a bellman/valet for almost 10 years in Oregon and these guys make good money, but they live off tips so any time they get stiffed for doing work for you, you are basically screwing them out of their hard earned money. I will say, I was always pleasantly surprised when someone tipped me a couple bucks for grabbing them a cab, it is a nice gesture and it is even nicer when the weather sucks outside.

$2-3 is fine, if you throw them a $5 that is even better, and if you do a $5 every time you interact with the door staff you will notice them to start learning your name. You give them a $20 or higher each time you interact with them, and they will drop other people's stuff to help you.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 4,880,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Do you tip the doorman at a hotel when he gets you a cab?
If there's a line of cabs & he's just opening the door, $1. If he's got to hail the cab for you, or help load your bags into it, $2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
these guys make good money, but they live off tips so any time they get stiffed for doing work for you, you are basically screwing them out of their hard earned money.
AFAIK, most hotel staff in NYC are unionized & are paid a decent salary, so they don't live off tips. Apartment building doormen will be averaging $44K next year, presumably hotel doormen about the same, plus a benefits package averaging another $25K annually. It's their job to do things for you, so you are neither stiffing nor screwing them, by not tipping; although it is a nice gesture.
Quote:
if you do a $5 every time you interact with the door staff you will notice them to start learning your name. You give them a $20 or higher each time you interact with them, and they will drop other people's stuff to help you.
I can't imagine tipping a doorman $20, unless you're wealthy, & he unloads your wheelchair & pushes you into to the hotel!

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-30-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
If there's a line of cabs & he's just opening the door, $1. If he's got to hail the cab for you, or help load your bags into it, $2.

AFAIK, most hotel staff in NYC are unionized & are paid a decent salary, so they don't live off tips. Apartment building doormen will be averaging $44K next year, presumably hotel doormen about the same, plus a benefits package averaging another $25K annually. It's their job to do things for you, so you are neither stiffing nor screwing them, by not tipping; although it is a nice gesture.

I can't imagine tipping a doorman $20, unless you're wealthy, & he unloads your wheelchair & pushes you into to the hotel!
True, and you also know $44K doesn't really go far in NYC after you take out the taxes so yeah, I am pretty sure that doorman is living off his tips in the sense that he is probably able to afford something more than a closest to live in because his tips are probably bumping him up to $80-100K in this city. In Portland my pay was about $15K a year before tips, with tips I made about $35K-45K a year in Portland, Or which is fantastic. I was taking trips everywhere and enjoying a good life thanks to my tips, without that I would of been struggling to make ends meet with the paychecks I was getting.

Also you would be surprised who tips a doorman $20, usually they tend to be more on the wealthy side, but that doesn't mean they need to be wealthy. Though with hotel staffs there are usually a number of guys that work morning and evening, so it is much more effective to spread that $20 out among the two shifts, $2-5 here and there goes a long way with those guys.

There was a woman I would get her car everyday and often times park it for her as well, each time she would leave she would give me $2 and every time she came back she would give me $2, by a couple days of this, you can guarantee I knew her name and took off for her car when I saw her get out of the elevator.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM

7,942 posts, read 9,714,254 times
Quote:
True, and you also know $44K doesn't really go far in NYC after you take out the taxes so yeah, I am pretty sure that doorman is living off his tips in the sense that he is probably able to afford something more than a closest to live in because his tips are probably bumping him up to $80-100K in this city. In Portland my pay was about $15K a year before tips, with tips I made about $35K-45K a year in Portland, Or which is fantastic. I was taking trips everywhere and enjoying a good life thanks to my tips, without that I would of been struggling to make ends meet with the paychecks I was getting.

Also you would be surprised who tips a doorman $20, usually they tend to be more on the wealthy side, but that doesn't mean they need to be wealthy. Though with hotel staffs there are usually a number of guys that work morning and evening, so it is much more effective to spread that $20 out among the two shifts, $2-5 here and there goes a long way with those guys.
36k-56k in tips a year? those are pretty big assumptions

During my brief experience in the service industry, I personally find it the most wealthiest are cheapest people i've met. I concluded that they are wealthy for a reason!! Its a personality thing. Even now, I work with some very high income earners & they are pretty frugal. The best tippers in my experience are new money wealthy or just middle class people. I am sure everyone's experience is diff.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
36k-56k in tips a year? those are pretty big assumptions

During my brief experience in the service industry, I personally find it the most wealthiest are cheapest people i've met. I concluded that they are wealthy for a reason!! Its a personality thing. Even now, I work with some very high income earners & they are pretty frugal. The best tippers in my experience are new money wealthy or just middle class people. I am sure everyone's experience is diff.
For NYC, it is an assumption that depends on the city you work in and basing it on past experiences with people I have known that work in the industry. You are right that often times the wealthiest are the worst at tipping because they tend to think everything should be done for free. I personally liked middle class hotels cause they tend to tip the most because they are on vacation and often times spoiling themselves.

New money wealthy are also a good bunch when it comes to tipping because they like to throw their money around.

In the end, I based much of it off my years of working in the industry in Portland, Or where I would make about twice the amount I made a month on my checks and I imagine NYC isn't much different, but it is definitely a hotel market I have no interest in working in. I am done with hauling bags and dealing with fickle guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City