Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times

Advertisements

sobro, i think u made it abundantly clear, that u dont like it, thank you! peace out!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
No..I made it clear that it CAN be art, and there are some that are amazing, but when it defaces public/private property (they don't have permission) is where I have a problem. Furthermore, I don't believe that graffitti, or rather the defacement of public/private property, is representative of "us" or part of NYC culture, any more than I believe Michael Vick's claim that dog fighting is part of "black culture" (that was one of his excuses).

Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
NYC rican....I am not sure why you are quoting Wikipidea...it is not based on facts, it is just based on whatever the contributor decides to say. Please quote a real source. Your definition of culture is skewed....as skewed as saying the culture of crime is "us", or the culture of litter is "us" or the culture of drugs is "us". If you can qualify graffitti as the culture of "us" then you can qualify the crime/litter/drug culture as "us" as well. Do you? None of those are culture, they are in fact the product of being culture-less. And to repeat..Graffitti is NOT a part of NYC culture any more than murders, drugs, and pedophilia are...these are NOT Cultures...these are CRIMES. Just because you SEE graffitti, does not make it part of NYC history or culture....there is nothing historical or cultural about it no matter how hard you want to rationalize it. I have no problem with graffitti itself and it CAN be art, but if it were treated as art, it would be created by ARTISTS and not just anyone with a can of spray paint or marker who feels like defacing other people's property/public areas. See the difference?
Wow lol Sobro I do not think you are getting my point lol. So I will not further argue with you lol.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Sobro, graffitists don't see it like that. They have to rationalize what they do.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:05 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
No...thats what NYC rican is saying...he is claiming the act of defacing public and private property is somehow a part of "us" and NYC culture. That "culture" is also the culture that led to the burning down of half of the South Bronx..so I guess arson is part of "us" too.....as well as the violent crime and crime "culture" that is part of NYC and "us." You cannot claim one to be a NYC "culture" and representative of "us" without the other. So which is it? They are all a product of the NYC "culture" of the 70s....right?
Graffiti as we know it started in the Bronx as a sub-culture of hip hop. Thats when we get the big bubble letters and the murals and all that. Before hip hop, graffiti consisted mainly of simple designs, for the most part intials and things like that. So u can say that graffiti is apart of the NYC "urban" culture

Old 04-18-2009, 01:50 AM

84 posts, read 283,898 times
Love it, wish there was more of it to give this city some more personality!

Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 AM

7 posts, read 21,130 times
Graffiti is great. NYC has such good graffiti its a shame the administration is so against it. Its an unstoppable force though. I see the same areas get bombed time and time again. They slack on the clean up just a tiny bit and the graffiti explodes like a virus. I find the transit system very interesting. It's like the graffiti is just iching to take over.

The money used to combat all graffiti should be redirected towards strait vandalism (like hateful messages) or just completely rerouted. It's the voice of the people.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 PM

304 posts, read 1,304,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedestrianscomefirst View Post
The money used to combat all graffiti should be redirected towards strait vandalism (like hateful messages) or just completely rerouted. It's the voice of the people.
Uh -- a lot of people regard graffiti itself as a hateful message, since it says "My wants/needs trump your property, neighborhood, and preferences, and you can't do anything about it."
Because the basic _point_ of graffiti is to mark and claim territory -- which normally is someone' else's property.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 13,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yeah it is true what you say that Graffiti originated in Wash Heights.

Now I will talk about what Sobro said in the post that he was directing to me. Sobro seems like he is offended... Let us not feel offended in any way, because we all are from NYC. I will always support the people of NYC in any way I can, becaue that is where I am from. Yes I knew you were from the South Bronx, that is why I said that maybe you went to private schools that is why "maybe" you were not exposed to such things. I will have to disagree with the statement "Well Graffitti is a recent addition to NYC and not a part of its history." This is incorrect. Graffiti it is part of NYC. I read in Wikipedia that Graffiti is an element of Hip Hop. "Graffiti is one of the four main elements of hip hop culture (along with rapping, DJing, and break dancing)."

I totally disagree that people should spray paint on the properties on which you speak. There I cannot argue, because I know that that is true. Now getting back to the culture of the NYC. Graffiti indeed is a part of the culture of NYC. Now if you decide not to take part of that culture it is up to you. According to Wikipedia.org "The relationship between graffiti and hip hop culture arises both from early graffiti artists practicing other aspects of hip hop, and its being practiced in areas where other elements of hip hop were evolving as art forms. " My point that I am trying to prove here is that Hip Hop and graffiti is part of the culture of NYC. There are people who choses not to take part of it and some do.
Graffiti didnt start in new york, it started in philly in the 60's by a dude named cornbread. he moved to new york.

And Mod cut: languageno one in here really knows what they're talking about.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-19-2009 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapist View Post
Graffiti didnt start in new york, it started in philly in the 60's by a dude named cornbread. he moved to new york.

And Mod cut: languageno one in here really knows what they're talking about.
I have to disagree with you. You are talking about TAKI 183. He was from Philly but moved to NYC. He did not do the Graffiti in Philly. He did it in NYC. So therefore Graffiti is from NYC. It is similarly to Hip Hop. Hip Hop is from NYC. Many of the old-school rappers were not from NYC they moved from Jamaica, or from other place of the carribean. They did not do Mcing in those places. They did it in NYC. So that is why, Graffiti is from NYC and Hip Hop is from NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City