Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
What year are those pictures taken from?? Were other area's of the world living better on average than the persons in those picture's at that time? I don't think so... Those pictures are irrelevant.

Uh the ghettos of NYC at that time were the worst in the world so yes ppl were living better, even the big cities in Europe the poor were not living in such dense squalor. And it was gov't aide and programs that helped these ppl which is the ancestors of a lot of Americans today. You don't know enough about this topic to be commenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM

50 posts, read 54,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Come on people. Not everybody is going to be a doctor lawyer or a judge. When are we all going to face reality and accept this truth. Social welfare is commendable - when it is properly practiced. Blame the people in charge for letting it get out of control and mismanaging it.

EXACTLY Except I only differ on the point of "blaming the people in charge' because ..ultimately ....that's US! Politicians don't just fall from the sky into their posts ..WE put 'em there.

OK, actually ..YOU people put 'em there. I'm just an average U.S. Taxpayer ...PAYING FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S ****-UPs as per usual.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Funnily enough, Riis (the pictures) was not the greatest person. He was quite judgmental about the poor.
Yet, the information he provided in the pictures initiated huge changes that improved life vastly for many people. You probably already know that.

He is currently under criticism (in some camps) as a person who "opened the poor" to regulation - by documenting them.

The conservative platform will maintain that the bankers and other very wealthy are necessary, so I think you are speaking to a brick wall.
Smh....I know. The conservatives like to complain but won't pack up the wife and kids and move to gun country where they can be totally self-sufficient. Everybody wants to have their cake and eat it too - the rich, the poor, and the middle class. What people are failing to realize (or blatantly ignoring) is that this country is cursed, because it's inception was not based upon liberty, justice, and rights for all, but it was based off of money!!!!!!

Did some of us fall asleep during history class when the English descended upon Jamestown, VA in 1607 and started producing tobacco? For fun? no, for money!!! So we were screwed from 1607 - when the United States were COLONIES OF ENGLAND. That's why we have corporate leeches, project leeches and leeches in general. We are a leech society who thinks bigger is always better because Capitalism is king. That's the problem. Not welfare.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodStampNation View Post
EXACTLY Except I only differ on the point of "blaming the people in charge' because ..ultimately ....that's US! Politicians don't just fall from the sky into their posts ..WE put 'em there.

OK, actually ..YOU people put 'em there. I'm just an average U.S. Taxpayer ...PAYING FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S ****-UPs as per usual.
Rep points. But I don't directly hire the heads of city agencies like DHS or NYCHA.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM

50 posts, read 54,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Rep points. But I don't directly hire the heads of city agencies like DHS or NYCHA.
Having read some of your posts, I'm quite sure that you wouldn't hire such slobs even if you could. But you my friend have a brain and not many of our fellow citizens do. And that's the point I was trying to make: it's the lazy, grossly misinformed slobs who vastly outnumber us that keep putting the Obamas and Bushes and Clintons of the world into office without realizing that they all represent ONE and the SAME corporate interests. Meanwhile, the average American citizenry is being pauperized into Third World levels of existence & lifestyle. 47% of all Americans are currently receiving some form of government assistance.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yes, of course they are.

It wouldn't be the TRILLIONS that we gave to the banks and auto industry would it?

No, of course not.
Industries which by the way employ a lot of people. Also, since everything is done with money, yes, the banks had to be saved.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodStampNation View Post
Having read some of your posts, I'm quite sure that you wouldn't hire such slobs even if you could. But you my friend have a brain and not many of our fellow citizens do. And that's the point I was trying to make: it's the lazy, grossly misinformed slobs who vastly outnumber us that keep putting the Obamas and Bushes and Clintons of the world into office without realizing that they all represent ONE and the SAME corporate interests. Meanwhile, the average American citizenry is being pauperized into Third World levels of existence & lifestyle. 47% of all Americans are currently receiving some form of government assistance.
Third world countries don't have government assistance, so not sure what you're talking about there.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:38 PM

The squalor in NYC happened at a time when you saw more consolidation of rural landholdings, and better agricultural techniques meant far fewer rural laborers were needed. So basically, cities were overbuilt, and jamming lots of people into ****ty buildings simply bred riff raff.

NYCHA and welfare certainly did not fix that problem at all, it simply encouraged even more people to move into those massive housing projects from all around the world, soon after they were built.

In the 70s, when NYC became welfare land, the tax base fled and the city went broke.

Because the poor you guys worship do nothing, so when businesses and people with money have threatened to leave NY rather than pay taxes to support this nonsense, that is when NY politicians put an end to this crap and began instituting cuts.

Put it like this, if the money fled NY, and all you had left is welfare people, they'd starve as they have no job skills and no ability to do anything.....

So rant and rave against big companies all you want Marilyn, you do realize their tax money pays for all this?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 PM

402 posts, read 811,461 times
The evil Richest of the rich 5% who are demonized constantly, pay for over 2/3rds of the federal budget. The welfare bunnies need to go clean their toilets and mow their lawns to show there gratitute... The dirty birds on welfare Mitt Romney is really "YO BABY DADDY"

Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, a working people have to be responsible in order to keep their jobs and income. Poor people maybe getting crumbs, but I can see why people aren't too eager to want to pay for people to sit at home all day and drink and do drugs.

This is not true of everyone who receives help, there are people legitimately disabled, or in between jobs or whatever.

But at the same time, there's an underclass who if you give them government benefits, all you are doing is paying for and enabling their bad behavior. That negatively effects everyone in the area.

Why should NY pay for poor people to come here from everywhere to just be housed where they can do drugs and otherwise live off working people here?
These are the reasonings of the PREJUDICED and shallow thinking.

The issue is far greater than simple prejudice and resentment, as I attempt to highlight in my post.

Think of this relatively real example:

Working individual, fair working class to lower middle class salary, perhaps just making middle income. Owns a coop apartment, car, and most f the average accroutrements of his income range, along with children.

Now, this person chooses NOT to work overtime; not to work a 12 hour day under any circumstances; will never get a second job. Yet, because of his children and modest income, is afforded a number of tax benefits like the 'Earned Income Child Credit (or whatever it is called).

Oh and let me NOTE, he has two children, because he was sexually irresponsible. Just to be sure you get the point, this guy is WHITE!!

The point here is that putting your emphasis on the so called "underclass" TOTALLY misses the greater issue! I'll give you a simple example, Welfare in this country has been largely reduced. Few people sit around collecting checks, year after year, generation after generation. That was stopped! Thank you Mr. Clinton and the Newt Grinrige (sp?) Republicans!

I don't know the figure off the top of my head, but costs have been reduced on the order of 75%. Where is the savings? How has this positively effected the deficit? Where are the consequent tqx reductions???

Get my point? Even if the cost of the so called underclass were negated, WE will still have a big problem! The problem is endemic to a large portion of our society. MIDDLE CLASS society!

Here are very basic fundamental wrongs which exist in our societal mind and structure. THIS 8s what NEEDS to be corrected.

Fundamentally, how much of a man's income is owed to another man? How is it that a man working two jobs and/or 12 hour days is taxed at a higher rate, than the man who chooses NOT to bust his behind?

The fundamental wrong is that in our present society, we reward stupid, bad, behavior and mentalities. Moreover, we INCENTIVIVE such!

For example, the guy working two jobs, should NEVER be taxed MORE, than the guy who refuses to hump his butt!

Bottom Line: NO MORE TAXES! Success s/b rewarded NOT penalized!!

Our society, our government, our mentalities are BACKWARDS!

Conservatives and Libertarians want to straighten things out.

Fundamentally, we need to comprehend, a man's labor belongs to no other man, but himself! We need to begin from this basic premises, and rebuild our Society and Government.

What we are doing now is NOT sustinable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City