Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I am mad. I'm furious. I paid more in taxes last year than the average household income in this country. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying my share. But it irks me to no end when I see people bragging about using EIC for Disney trips, getting tattoos while collecting food stamps, living in subsidized housing because they don't want to commute an extra half an hour, or paying 25% of the actual cost of a public transit fare--especially when their fat arse could use the exercise to walk an extra 10 blocks.
Where do you live that you personally witness such constant abuse of the welfare system like this?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Where do you live that you personally witness such constant abuse of the welfare system like this?
Florida, but I saw it when I lived in NY and in NJ as well.

Google "Dis Boards" and you'll see many, many posters salivating over their upcoming Disney trips that they are paying for with their EIC. It will make you ill.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Are you saying I'm not spaying for these items? That they grow on trees?

Bottom line, I'm paying taxes to subsidize stuff that I shouldn't be subsidizing.
As an FYI, if the government suddenly says it's going to stop ALL HANDOUTS/ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS as of today, guess what?

Your taxes STILL won't go down any more than what it is. You will experience NO SAVINGS and taxes will go up every year STILL like clockwork.

We have WARS to fund and small brown and black countries to set up...er, I mean conquer.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
She's making it up.

All of these people claim to witness the welfare queen purchasing food with her foodstamps while wearing a mink coat, then hopping in her mercedes to go home.

Liars.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Florida, but I saw it when I lived in NY and in NJ as well.

Google "Dis Boards" and you'll see many, many posters salivating over their upcoming Disney trips that they are paying for with their EIC. It will make you ill.
No, it won't, because I could never be that jealous or envious of people getting "pennies" in welfare.

Also, real welfare scammers would NEVER post this info on the internet. I smell a stormfront or right wing scam site.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 AM

417 posts, read 867,620 times
Every man for himself, id end welfare across the board.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
As an FYI, if the government suddenly says it's going to stop ALL HANDOUTS/ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS as of today, guess what?

Your taxes STILL won't go down any more than what it is. You will experience NO SAVINGS and taxes will go up every year STILL like clockwork.

We have WARS to fund and small brown and black countries to set up...er, I mean conquer.
We need to make massive changes to those programs as well. I never said we didn't.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
She's making it up.

All of these people claim to witness the welfare queen purchasing food with her foodstamps while wearing a mink coat, then hopping in her mercedes to go home.

Liars.
I'm not making it up. I know someone who is receiving food stamps and HEAP who just spent $300 on a tattoo and smokes a pack a day. I know many who have paid for vacations with their EIC checks. I've seen far too many people using their TANF cards to buy junk food. I'm not opposed to them buying a box of brownie mix each week, but $30 worth of soda and chips on the taxpayer dime is a terrible abuse. Food stamps should be administered like WIC, with only certain items being allowed.

I would never complain about someone using food stamps and then getting into a luxury car as long as they were buying healthy foods. They might be using a borrowed car or be a foster parent.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
No, it won't, because I could never be that jealous or envious of people getting "pennies" in welfare.

Also, real welfare scammers would NEVER post this info on the internet. I smell a stormfront or right wing scam site.
Did you bother to go look? This has been going on for over a decade. I personally know people who have paid for vacations with EIC checks.

I'm not at all jealous, just angry that I'm subsidizing vacations.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not making it up. I know someone who is receiving food stamps and HEAP who just spent $300 on a tattoo and smokes a pack a day. I know many who have paid for vacations with their EIC checks.
So? They didn't scam anyone for that money. The government (for whatever reason) will give folks extra money for having children. For the record, I don't agree with this. I always believed it was a way for the government to make people get social security numbers for their children early, so they could have an immediate record of it.

Quote:
I've seen far too many people using their TANF cards to buy junk food. I'm not opposed to them buying a box of brownie mix each week, but $30 worth of soda and chips on the taxpayer dime is a terrible abuse.
Again, this is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I thought you saw REAL "abuses" going on. So, just because they're poor they can't buy junk food?? Just how much do you think these people are getting?

I can tell you right now for an UNEMPLOYED single person with no dependents in NYC, all they are receiving is $200 per month. Nothing else. Exactly, how much 'healthy' food can you buy with $200 a month?

The healthy foods I eat will perish in a few days if I don't eat them quickly or freeze them. I've spent way more than $200 on healthy eats, but if I was relegated to $200 a month, I guess I'd be forced to eat canned goods or something (because that's MY type of diet). I don't JUDGE others on their food choices.

I'm not Bloomberg.

Quote:
Food stamps should be administered like WIC, with only certain items being allowed.
Different program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City