Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 09:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would not classify some lettuce leaves and chick peas as a meal even if you get a slice of bread.
It's a meal for me. If it's not going to be enough I'll add in other stuff. I don't go hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
what we all choose to eat or spend our money on or not spend our money on is a very personal thing.

no one should get defensive when others find their way of eating not appealing or unappetizing.

watch bizarre foods for a sampling of just what people call meals.

now about that crock pot thread.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
what we all choose to eat or spend our money on or not spend our money on is a very personal thing.

no one should get defensive when others find their way of eating not appealing or unappetizing.

watch bizarre foods for a sampling of just what people call meals.

now about that crock pot thread.
By the same token, people should not refer to people who manage their grocery bill and still have plenty of wholesome foods to eat as cheap or a pauper or accuse them of being broke or poor or whatever other terms were tossed at me. It's a two way street.

When people are collecting food stamps, I believe that they need to be held responsible to be buying the least expensive NUTRITIOUS foods possible, particularly when it comes to buying produce in season.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM

you are correct. it may not be a way others would eat but if you like it you eat it. thats all that really matters.

by the same token assuming others could or even want to live on such a small limiting food budget is assuming something that may just not even be reality to them.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-31-2012 at 10:17 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
When people are collecting food stamps, I believe that they need to be held responsible to be buying the least expensive NUTRITIOUS foods possible, particularly when it comes to buying produce in season.
Education and class I find work hand in hand. Many lower-income people I think just don't have the savvy to shop like that. Or don't have the education on dietary needs. How long have you been shopping like this? Were you raised into this way of grocery shopping, or did you start doing at adulthood? If you started at adulthood, what researching did you do? Who taught you how to cook?

Truth is there's a lot of single mothers out there who's mothers probably were not the best role models for them and didn't even teach them how to cook. My wife can cook her ass off. If she couldn't cook, it might have very well been a deal-breaker. Call me old-fashioned.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Education and class I find work hand in hand. Many lower-income people I think just don't have the savvy to shop like that. Or don't have the education on dietary needs.
Then maybe along with foodstamps, budgeting and nutrition classes should be mandatory. WIC used to have mandatory nutrition classes, I don't know if they still do.

Quote:
How long have you been shopping like this? Were you raised into this way of grocery shopping, or did you start doing at adulthood? If you started at adulthood, what researching did you do? Who taught you how to cook?

Truth is there's a lot of single mothers out there who's mothers probably were not the best role models for them and didn't even teach them how to cook. My wife can cook her ass off. If she couldn't cook, it might have very well been a deal-breaker. Call me old-fashioned.
My mother definitely looked for sales and made her weekly menus based off of what was on sale that week, although not to the extent that I do because she wasn't much of a cook and only had maybe a dozen things she made in rotation--many weren't all that nutritious I've learned to cook as an adult, on my own, mostly through trial and error.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM

what we do different is while many folks spend time clipping coupons and deals and usually end up buying things they would not have even bought we attack things from a different view.

Our free time is spent learning how to be better investors and better planners so we can grow what we manage to have.

Most of my time now ,since we are retiring soon is spent refining our retirement plan,learning new angles for dealing with taxes and learning to maximize what we have to last us through retirement.

I always prefered to spend my time dealing with the bigger numbers in our lives then worrying about saving a few dollars on a purchase.

I have found this strategy worked very well for us as we started with nothing and finally made it to a point we can retire.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Education and class I find work hand in hand. Many lower-income people I think just don't have the savvy to shop like that. Or don't have the education on dietary needs.
I think this is very important. Every day, I see mothers from one of the shelters or social service buildings buying chips and soda for the children they have in tow, for breakfast. The bodega people around here are also concerned, and they stock fruit snacks, fresh fruit, and nut/granola things - we have talked about it.

Unfortunately, I have found the education aspect very difficult. A common response is that people should "mind their business" regarding what they feed their children. There is a similar response in different programs and at community meetings when people raise the problem (a major one) of small children, including babies and toddlers, kept up at all hours out on the streets because their mother feels like hanging out.

There was an issue over the summer - a woman in one of the very good shelters here, evicted from a place in Brownsville. The residents are prohibited from hanging around near their own building, so this woman, another party from the shelter, and their friends from the old 'hood took up 24/7 residence on the steps of one of the decent buildings across the street. People were very concerned about her toddler being out at 1 AM, 2AM, and beyond. She has a slightly older child also. But all anyone could do was complain about them trespassing and similar, which they were, to get action.

Unfortunately, there not not laws, or not strong enough laws, about this and what children are fed. When people propose laws or regulations - a roar of protest, chief-most among the white liberals I have found. And the little ones continue to suffer.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
what we do different is while many folks spend time clipping coupons and deals and usually end up buying things they would not have even bought we attack things from a different view.
I do not buy things just because I have a coupon. Most coupons are for processed foods, I do not buy those. I use coupons when I can find them for things on my list, as well as for things like paper goods and cleaning supplies.

Quote:
Our free time is spent learning how to be better investors and better planners so we can grow what we manage to have.

Most of my time now ,since we are retiring soon is spent refining our retirement plan,learning new angles for dealing with taxes and learning to maximize what we have to last us through retirement.
My investments are in good shape, thanks. I don't see the need to spend 20 hours a week staring at them. I'm in good shape for retirement.

Quote:
I always prefered to spend my time dealing with the bigger numbers in our lives then worrying about saving a few dollars on a purchase.

I have found this strategy worked very well for us as we started with nothing and finally made it to a point we can retire.
I could retire right now, but not be able to live the way I want to--there would be no world travel. So I continue to work and save in a reasonable manner.

By the way, I took a three week luxury vacation to Europe last summer, so it's not like I am cheap or poor. I just don't like to spend money that I don't need to when there are equally good options--like eating produce in season or buying meat on sale.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I think this is very important. Every day, I see mothers from one of the shelters or social service buildings buying chips and soda for the children they have in tow, for breakfast. The bodega people around here are also concerned, and they stock fruit snacks, fresh fruit, and nut/granola things - we have talked about it.

Unfortunately, I have found the education aspect very difficult. A common response is that people should "mind their business" regarding what they feed their children. There is a similar response in different programs and at community meetings when people raise the problem (a major one) of small children, including babies and toddlers, kept up at all hours out on the streets because their mother feels like hanging out.

There was an issue over the summer - a woman in one of the very good shelters here, evicted from a place in Brownsville. The residents are prohibited from hanging around near their own building, so this woman, another party from the shelter, and their friends from the old 'hood took up 24/7 residence on the steps of one of the decent buildings across the street. People were very concerned about her toddler being out at 1 AM, 2AM, and beyond. She has a slightly older child also. But all anyone could do was complain about them trespassing and similar, which they were, to get action.

Unfortunately, there not not laws, or not strong enough laws, about this and what children are fed. When people propose laws or regulations - a roar of protest, chief-most among the white liberals I have found. And the little ones continue to suffer.
This is exactly why I think that the food stamps program needs to be run like the WIC program with seasonal adjustments for produce. So right now they might be able to get "X" pounds of meat off of list "A" or "X" pounds of beans off of list "B" or "X" pounds of tofu, etc. They can get "X" pounds of their choice of fresh carrots, yams, squash, or pumpkin or "X" cans of the same. They can get the same cereals allowed by WIC, the same dairy products allowed by WIC. NO chips, NO soda, NO candy, NO 10% real fruit juice drinks, no garbage. If they aren't willing to feed themselves and their children nutritious food on their own, the government will do it for them by restricting what they can buy to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City