Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,895,589 times

Advertisements

Annerk. Is it true that meat goes on sale because is about to go bad?
Like a month ago I bought king crab legs that were on 'special', not sure why they were on special but my gut feeling is that they were about to expire. I cooked them the same night. Tasted as good as usual, IMO.
I don't do the coupons things, but now with technology on the palm of your hand you can get coupons on your phone based on you location and supermarket preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM

4,243 posts, read 7,156,821 times
Quote:
When people are collecting food stamps, I believe that they need to be held responsible to be buying the least expensive NUTRITIOUS foods possible, particularly when it comes to buying produce in season
There's a public health cost of people not eating write. If people buy junk with food stamps and their health goes bad becuase of it they become yet ANOTHER cost to the govt via Medicaid.

So establishing some standards on what you can use FS for avoids long run costs of bad diet. There's also maybe an education issue...as in how to cook and shop right.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Annerk. Is it true that meat goes on sale because is about to go bad?

I don't do the coupons things, but now with technology on the palm of your hand you can get coupons on your phone based on you location and supermarket preferences.
Not at all! It goes on sale as a loss leader to get you into the store to buy high margin junk food.

Yes, there are some stores who will mark down meat about to expire, but I'm talking about meat specials listed in the weekly circular, not the "day old" bin. Ick!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM

106,240 posts, read 108,237,907 times
Annerk I spend 30 seconds a week on my investments.at this point there is so much to know about gearing up for retirement and taxes and strategys that i can easily put a few hours a day in reading different thoughts,studies and ideas.

Im hoping to retire and finally get my licensing as a financial planner and work with other baby boomers.

I have always loved the financial world but never worked in it and i figure retiring and doing something i always wanted to do would be really nice.

I enjoy helping out others and being i won't really need to earn anything to survive i believe i can really help people in an objective manner.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
There's a public health cost of people not eating write. If people buy junk with food stamps and their health goes bad becuase of it they become yet ANOTHER cost to the govt via Medicaid.

So establishing some standards on what you can use FS for avoids long run costs of bad diet. There's also maybe an education issue...as in how to cook and shop right.
Not even, because people on food stamps have other income than food stamps. They may have either cash assistance or SSI, or they may be low income workers. So even if you tried to restrict what food stamps could buy, all that means is that they'll still buy to eat what they want with their cash.

The same government that can't stop drugs is not about to stop people from eating junk food.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not even, because people on food stamps have other income than food stamps. They may have either cash assistance or SSI, or they may be low income workers. So even if you tried to restrict what food stamps could buy, all that means is that they'll still buy to eat what they want with their cash.

The same government that can't stop drugs is not about to stop people from eating junk food.
If they aren't using their food stamp money up as a result, we can reduce the amount of their benefit.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If they aren't using their food stamp money up as a result, we can reduce the amount of their benefit.
Oh, they'll use them. I've known people to grocery shop and sell the food for booze, or alternatively go to certain bodegas that will artificially bill the EBT for food, when in reality the person is selling their food stamps to the bodega for cash.

You would never be able to enforce health living on the population that uses EBT. Its just not going to happen.

And by the way, since money talks in this country (and world for that matter), the junk food lobby's lawyers and lobbyists would never let such a restriction pass. It will not happen, period.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,005,037 times
Quote:
Oh, they'll use them. I've known people to grocery shop and sell the food for booze, or alternatively go to certain bodegas that will artificially bill the EBT for food, when in reality the person is selling their food stamps to the bodega for cash.

You would never be able to enforce health living on the population that uses EBT. Its just not going to happen.

And by the way, since money talks in this country (and world for that matter), the junk food lobby's lawyers and lobbyists would never let such a restriction pass. It will not happen, period.
And it shouldn't.

People really need to stop controlling what the poor should eat. Goodness!

It's always about picking on who's the weakest. I see many of you don't have *ish to say about Wall Street getting billions of dollars in bailout money, but yet want to pick on the single mother who wants to buy pop tarts for her kids.

Freaking amazing.

Mind your business. Why is that so hard to do?

Just MIND YOUR BUSINESS.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
And it shouldn't.

People really need to stop controlling what the poor should eat. Goodness!
As soon as they're paying their own way.

Quote:
Mind your business. Why is that so hard to do?

Just MIND YOUR BUSINESS.
Stop reaching into my pockets. Why is that so hard to do?

(changing the subject to the wall street guys doesn't prove your point -- they should have gotten nothing, but their behavior has nothing to do with that of those receiving public assistance)

Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:

It won't be as easy though if they are set up like WIC where instead of a "cash" value they'll be good for certain measures of specific foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City