Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, I see no reason to improve the lives of anyone.

If someone wants to do something "bad" they will.

The war on drugs has not stopped drug use. Prohibition failed.

Annerk, you are not personally paying for anything. You are not the government. You are one person out of 300 million. The country does not revolve around you.

So really, what you'd like to see is 100% irrelevant. There's no pending legislation that covers what you speak of. There's no talk in the media about it. All this is the rants of a mad person on the internet. Rant away, it won't change anything.
Napoleon Bloomberg "tried" to make a request to the government to eliminate junk food purchases from the foodstamp program, but they told him to kiss their ass in a "nice" way.

They basically told him to MIND HIS BUSINESS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 04:23 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
Until all welfare participants go back to the welfare office with their birth certificate and get finger printed as part of the ID process I really don't care if they stop welfare. I would feel badly for those that are truly in need but do you have any idea how many people collect welfare under more than one name. Too many.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
On the other hand, people ARE extremely selfish.
Yup. The people who don't do everything possible to not have to rely on handouts are very selfish.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Hmmm, well, I'm sure everyone knows that junk food is "bad" for them. However, its their money, and their choice to live as they please.

And as for well to do people, I recall a young woman at Cornell getting arrested when the cops found $150k of heroine in her apartment. Wealthy people can do things that are bad for them to.

Bush II struggled with substance abuse, and he's far from the only wealthy person to have done it. There's been a problem with cocaine on Wall Street (they drug test everyone now), major alcohol and drug issues in Hollywood, and lets not talk about drug use on college campuses.

All of this is unhealthy, but no, its cool to pick on poor people, right?
Yep. You pick on the easiest and most vulnerable.

What's funny is that all of these people complaining about the lowly, welfare cheats eating cupcakes and ice cream on "their" dime are the same people being called out by their wealthier counterparts as being beneath THEM. It's like why are you standing on THEIR street after 6:00 pm? Shouldn't you be catching the subways back to the outerboroughs?

Someone always needs to feel more powerful than somebody else to feel "important" which is why there aren't 1000+ threads on the evils of the corporate structure or federal reserve.

It's been like this since the turn of the last century. Nothing's changed.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
if folks devoted more time to learning to best play the cards they are dealt instead of complaining about the hand they would be a whole lot better off.

who wants to even waste time complaing about the federal reserve or corporations. believe me nothing in your life will change .

but devoting time and effort to playing those cards can help your life in a far greater manner.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Until all welfare participants go back to the welfare office with their birth certificate and get finger printed as part of the ID process I really don't care if they stop welfare. I would feel badly for those that are truly in need but do you have any idea how many people collect welfare under more than one name. Too many.
Stop lying.

For one, to collect CASH benefits EVERYONE gets fingerprinted. To collect foodstamps, you don't have to, but the feds have mechanisms in place to stop this type of fraud.

No one is collecting benefits under multiple names. This is the same welfare queen story who purchases lobsters and caviar with her foodstamps, while wearing a fur coat and then hopping in her tricked out Lexus to go home.

Just STOP IT.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yup. The people who don't do everything possible to not have to rely on handouts are very selfish.
Ummm.... It was not directed at you.

You have a point of view with which I am well familiar and to which, it happens, I am fundamentally opposed.

Nonetheless, point of view it is. We should be happy that such things are allowed us.

Thinking that there is more than one troll on this board and that they could be the same person.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Bear in mind that this person argued elsewhere that there are no cash benefits.
I knew from working with people that this is absolutely incorrect but I said nothing. Not worth the ridiculous responses in return.

Many people collect benefits fraudulently. This is a fact. Who knows what the percentage might be. I am working in that population and I could not even hazard a guess.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if folks devoted more time to learning to best play the cards they are dealt instead of complaining about the hand they would be a whole lot better off.

who wants to even waste time complaing about the federal reserve or corporations. believe me nothing in your life will change .
And nothing in your life will change by constantly complaining about foodstamp recipients either.

There are many people under the false assumption that once the government stops giving out ALL HANDOUTS (and I hope they know what "all" government handouts means) that instead of getting $300 a week in salary, it will jump to $500 or so a week. No, it won't.

Your paycheck will remain the same and will probably be taxed even further to fund these useless wars we're having with everyone.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Stop lying.

For one, to collect CASH benefits EVERYONE gets fingerprinted. To collect foodstamps, you don't have to, but the feds have mechanisms in place to stop this type of fraud.

No one is collecting benefits under multiple names. This is the same welfare queen story who purchases lobsters and caviar with her foodstamps, while wearing a fur coat and then hopping in her tricked out Lexus to go home.

Just STOP IT.
Anyone collecting ANY benefit should be fingerprinted and have to prove they are a US citizen or Green Card holder--and those who can't prove they are here legally should get picked up by INS and shipped back to where they came from. Also people convicted of felonies and on parole or probation shouldn't be allowed to collect any benefit except social security if they've paid into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City