Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
sorry not for me thats for sure. our food bill for just 2 of us runs about 200 a week.

lots of variation, lots of good things i enjoy eating and we do use alot of pre done stuff like chickens since we both work and hit the gym after work so we have little free time during the week .

quite frankly just our bill for fruits and vegetables can be 30-40 bucks or so
I did like annerk's menu plan. I have been broke, and it is really possible eat well cheaply, if you plan around sales.

I still try to keep my costs down now that I live alone, but I am also with you, mathjak--a lot of planning and cooking takes time, and if you do not have spare time but can squeeze out a few extra bucks, it's worth it to pick up some prepared food from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Seriously, not really, and I am both in academia and quite successful there.
Keep in mind that other academics control the publishing venues.
This has worked out for me but I am still able to see and admit the truth.

Tenured faculty do not get replaced. For this reason, many supposedly excellent schools, including the ivies, have dreadful faculty. Is this some sort of well-kept secret ? I had not guessed.
The point is, he didn't write, didn't share his research (which was minimal), didn't collaborate with peers. I think the only reason he was able to hold on to the job for as long as he did was he had a very niche field of knowledge and worked cheap.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did like annerk's menu plan. I have been broke, and it is really possible eat well cheaply, if you plan around sales.

I still try to keep my costs down now that I live alone, but I am also with you, mathjak--a lot of planning and cooking takes time, and if you do not have spare time but can squeeze out a few extra bucks, it's worth it to pick up some prepared food from time to time.
How much time does it take to toss a few chicken breasts, some red potatoes, a package of carrots (frozen or raw peeled baby), some herbs and some broth into a crock pot and turn it on low. It will be ready to eat when you get home. Seriously, it takes longer to stand in line to check out at the store. The reality is that people who say they don't cook because they don't have the time are actually just lazy.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
We use the crockpot on sunday usually . with both of us out of the house by 6:30am and first having to make both lunches ,dealing with dinner at that hour is out of the question.

i don't like chicken breasts in a crockpot at all. most of the time internally they are just toooooo dry.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
We use the crockpot on sunday usually . with both of us out of the house by 6:30am and first having to make both lunches ,dealing with dinner at that hour is out of the question.

i don't like chicken breasts in a crockpot at all. most of the time internally they are just toooooo dry.
Not if you use broth and a tablespoon of olive oil. That keeps them really moist. Otherwise, yes, I'd agree with you, they will dry out.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM

boy does this thread cover it all or what...

food, retirement planning ,sex, the poor, got in some name calling and arguing . we did not miss much did we.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
boy does this thread cover it all or what...

food, retirement planning ,sex, the poor, got in some name calling and arguing . we did not miss much did we.
I wish I had room to make it a sticky. LOL. Mods can only make 2 threads stickys.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Edit that - I made it a sticky now! LOL

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM

It could be kind of one stop arguing

Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM

402 posts, read 811,177 times
Poor government dependent people really are a cancer and are an generally an ungrateful bunch... Between paying absolutely nothing in federal tax (actually getting money back they didnt pay (CHILD TAX CREDIT), Section 8, Food Stamps, Medicaid, FREE LUNCHES FOR KIDS AT School (It cost about 20 cents to make a PBJ Sandwitch) Our politicians really need to get with the program these people will survive if their benefits are cut. National Debt- Over $100,000 per household currently... Would you rather be nice to a bunch of ungrateful slimes, or pass down a United States your children can be proud off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City