Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM

35 posts, read 169,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I don't know how it works being that you are from out of state. But I just got a ticket in upstate NY doing 77 in a 55. I did hire a lawyer (only cost me $160 and I didn't have to go to any court appearances or anything). The lawyer plead my ticket down to a 0 point non-moving violation and as part of my plea I had to take defensive driving. I did this one :New York Online Defensive Driving Course | Online Point & Insurance Reduction Course | NY Defensive Driving Online

It's 100% online and so easy. The NYS DMV has a list of approved online courses you can take. I'm still waiting to hear what my fine will be, but the most it will be is the max amount for a parking ticket.

I would seriously consider hiring a lawyer- just makes everything so much easier.
I might try doing this but, in NJ instead of NY. I already have 2 points on my NJ license. I'm just trying to avoid an insurance premium increase. Do you happen to know how much time it would take for 6 points to drop off an NY license?

Actually, come to think of it, what if I do it in both NJ and NY? Hmmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM

105,674 posts, read 107,628,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
I might try doing this but, in NJ instead of NY. I already have 2 points on my NJ license. I'm just trying to avoid an insurance premium increase. Do you happen to know how much time it would take for 6 points to drop off an NY license?

Actually, come to think of it, what if I do it in both NJ and NY? Hmmmmmmm
39 months for insurance.. remember though taking that point reduction course only effects your record as far as dmv goes. insurance does not see that reduction at all,they see the origonal record.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:22 PM

510 posts, read 1,438,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
39 months for insurance.. remember though taking that point reduction course only effects your record as far as dmv goes. insurance does not see that reduction at all,they see the origonal record.
Yes, but completing a course in NYS gives you a 15% discount on your insurance premium for 2 years regardless of your points. So even if they increase premiums, it could help balance it out.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM

its 10% for 3 years

Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,977,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is NO PLEA BARGAINING AT ALL IN NYC.
^^^THIS is very true. forget all the gibberish people are saying in upstate. That is diff than nyc.

I am pretty sure the points won't be added to your NJ license. But don't confused that with your insurance finding out. That is up in the air if they find out & jack your rates up. People seem to get mixed up with DMV points verses insurance points/threshold

Now if you don't resolve this, its very possible nyc will put a bench warrant or arrest you if you get stopped next time. This is usually reserved for scofflaws.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM

here....HARD proof if people don't believe me. I hope this helps you

personally i never got why they reciprocate with Candian DMV of all places

straight from ny dmv site
NYS DMV - Traffic Tickets?

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.
If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:32 PM

510 posts, read 1,438,018 times
He was never saying he wasn't going to resolve it- was only looking for the best way to resolve it. I guess I'll keep my 'upstate gibberish' out of it though. I didn't realize you cant plea bargain in NYC- mostly because I rarely drive here and haven't ever been pulled over.

OP just pay your fine, take a defensive driving course, and hope that insurance isn't too hard on you.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
He was never saying he wasn't going to resolve it- was only looking for the best way to resolve it. I guess I'll keep my 'upstate gibberish' out of it though. I didn't realize you cant plea bargain in NYC- mostly because I rarely drive here and haven't ever been pulled over.

OP just pay your fine, take a defensive driving course, and hope that insurance isn't too hard on you.
i didn't mean to offend you. It usually depend on the county if you can plea bargain. NYC is virtually impossible....they will throw "extra" court fees to add insult to injury usually. Nassau I know is possible but its a really small bone. I just wanted to clear any confusion about nyc courts isn't the same as other countys

I just recc him to resolve it. I've read & heard people just bc they are out of state, they ignore it.

I am a little reluctant to reccommend defensive drivers course. Its usuallly to reduce points and/or auto insurance discount. Since reducing points doesn't apply...its just about the discount if the OP hasn't done so already

Old 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM

35 posts, read 169,948 times
I'm going to resolve this. I don't know where the idea that I'd ignore it came from.

Here is the deal:
CLEAN driving record. 0 points and no tickets in nearly 7 years.
CLEAN insurance record. 0 points.

Here are the issues:
First, I got a ticket in Ohio for speeding, almost 9 months ago. The Ohio DMV never notified NJ of that violation. Whether they will ever notify the NJ DMV, I don't know. But, I'm going to operate as though they will.

Second, this ticket was issued in NYC. I'm sure NYS is going to inform NJ far more hastily that Ohio. That means, 2 points on my NJ record and 6 on my NY record.

To complicate matters:
I need to move to Suffolk county NY for work (since it's too far from NJ to commute), meaning that I'll likely meed the definition of a NYS resident and, I'll need to carry a NYS drivers license (and pay taxes in NYS). I suppose this means that I'll end up with 6 points on my forthcoming NYS license, if I just pay the fine.

Considering all of this information, I think I have two options:

1. Pay the fine and try for a point reduction on my NYS record, via some kind of driving class or, something. Hopefully that would be able to reduce my DMV record points by a sufficient amount that my premiums don't increase. My insurance company is fairly lenient, since neither myself, nor anyone else on my policy have had tickets in years, before this year.
  2. Hire a lawyer to try to fight the ticket, through whatever legal trickery they have at their disposal. A coworker was in the exact same position, earlier this year. He hired some lawyer who seems to have a good success rate. The problem is that if I do hire this lawyer, I'll have to pay him $300, in addition to the fine and additional fees, no matter if he wins or looses. Should he win, I won't have any points in NYS. Should he loose, I'm out like 800 dollars and still have to deal with the points added by the violation.
What do you guys think? Do I take the chance in my insurance by paying the fine, taking a class, getting a reduction and hoping that they never find out about Ohio/don't raise my premiums? Or, do I take a chance with NYC DMV and the lawyer, in the hope that he gets it all expunged?

Edit: My first thought was to reduce the number of points on my NYS record BEFORE transferring my license from NJ to NYS, in the hope that my insurance company only sees the reduced points on my NYS record. However, if the insurance company can see the ticket and the the associated violation I just incurred in NYS, maybe the driving class will not save me anything?

Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 PM

the course will not change the points the insurance company sees or anyone else.

there is no actual deduction. in effect the dmv is just allowing you more points before the mandatory suspension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City