Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times

Advertisements

The law looks away if you tape something for youself, but like in the case of this REUBEN REUBEN, copy and then SALE of presumably multiple copies on the internet, might land a seller, and maybe even a buyer, in some hot water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:17 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King
Not worth looking to sell these things for a few pennies. Nobody wants them anymore.
I disagree... MANY OF US LOVE THEM!!!!! (We dont like digital media -- ANALOG IS AND ALWAYS WAS/WILL BE BETTER)

Nothing natural about Digital....its garbage......... I want to see/hear my movies IN THE FORMAT THEY ORIGINALLY WERE RECORDED IN!! (The nicest/best experience)

Salvation Army and Goodwill are 2 good stores that sell all kinds of analogue media!! (Records,VHS,tapes,etc)

Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I disagree... MANY OF US LOVE THEM!!!!! (We dont like digital media -- ANALOG IS AND ALWAYS WAS/WILL BE BETTER)

Nothing natural about Digital....its garbage......... I want to see/hear my movies IN THE FORMAT THEY ORIGINALLY WERE RECORDED IN!! (The nicest/best experience)

Salvation Army and Goodwill are 2 good stores that sell all kinds of analogue media!! (Records,VHS,tapes,etc)

Dude, I will not give you an argument about audio. A scratchless LP will blow away a CD every time. Alas, when you downsize to a NYC apartment, 1000 LP's take up a lot of valuable room. The sound wave on LP's is very warm and COMPLETE rather than just digitally sampled, no matter how fast.

But for video, NOTHING can be further from the truth. Analog video stinks, it's definition is terrible, the noise level is horribly high and the soundtrack is horribly truncated. Once you get used to DVD, Blu-ray and HD streaming, watching an old VHS tape is like travelling back to the 14th Century, not far removed from the old archived kinescopes.

Quote:
I want to see/hear my movies IN THE FORMAT THEY ORIGINALLY WERE RECORDED IN!!
And of course that would be 30 mm celluloid shown in a room sized projector. Sometime 70 mm shown on a million dollar projector.

Where did you get the projectors and does MGM and TURNER let you borrow from their film archives?

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-14-2014 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 06:59 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
certaincircles,
Not worth looking to sell these things for a few pennies. Nobody wants them anymore. You cannot even GIVE them away.

I'm looking at about 100 of them and their days are numbered because they don't justify the space and space is the single thing we New Yorkers never have enough of.

I went through the same crap with my LP's...1000 of them laid by the compactor for anyone to take...along with a Toshiba player. I cried...but realized that time marches on.

Anybody need a suitcase full of FLOPPIES?
3 1/2 or 5 1/4, jk. . What about reels, or CinemaScope?

Seriously though I enjoy analog myself, but space can be an issue.

I will say this much though; quality over quantity, and a million files in the cloud can't replace 20 good videocassettes, or good 8 mm home movies.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
3 1/2 or 5 1/4, jk. . What about reels, or CinemaScope?
my parents still have 8 tracks

my grandparents still have reels!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
my parents still have 8 tracks

my grandparents still have reels!
I like reels, they sound great. Not really sure on the specifics of therm though, sure someone else in here could comment on them.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:01 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King
Once you get used to DVD, Blu-ray and HD streaming, watching an old VHS tape is like travelling back to the 14th Century, not far removed from the old archived kinescopes.
Why does everyone have to be brainwashed to think that crap is better??

IT ISNT....... NOTHING NATURAL ABOUT DIGITAL!!

I am very grateful that I have a mind that isnt compromised to think crap is good!!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Why does everyone have to be brainwashed to think that crap is better??

IT ISNT....... NOTHING NATURAL ABOUT DIGITAL!!

I am very grateful that I have a mind that isnt compromised to think crap is good!!
Nothing to get angry about. Digital captures more information than analog. It is a matter of personal preference. With audio MP3 files and compression schemes ruined the experience. The majority of digital audio is crap. But there are great formats no one uses because they are memory and processor intensive and most people cannot afford the overhead on the technology required to play back the files. You can't just "download" these files. The quality of the optics and the microphone used to do the capture has a lot to do with it as well. Most of us use junk technology (smartphones, etc)

Video is just out of reach for most people. I'm over 1080. I am looking forward to 4k though.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:28 PM

Can we presume that Dude is standing ready to give us all premium prices for our VHS tapes?

Sight unseen you can have 100 of them for only $5 apiece, a small price to pay for something that is wonderfully analog.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:45 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,303 times
I have nearly 1000 Beta tapes, which I recorded mostly in the 1980s. I spent much time taping my favorite TV shows, careful to remove all the commercials. I figured it'd be the only way to preserve them for future viewing. I also have about 100 purchased Beta tapes, mostly horror films.

Since then, many of these shows have appeared on DVD -- some only in the past few years. The old WEREWOLF TV series still hasn't been released. I still watch it on Beta, on occasion.

I have a top-of-the-line Betamax, still sealed in the original box. Bought some 20 years ago, as a reserve for when my current Betamax breaks down.

I have some reel-to-reel, half-inch videotape (1970s tech), on which I shot some film school projects in the 1980s. I transferred them to Beta in the 1990s.

I have some super-8mm, 8mm, and 3/4-inch videotape with some old film school projects.

I have a few laser-discs, purchased in the 1980s, still sealed. I was saving them for the day when I would buy a laser disc player. That day never came. Those old, sealed laser discs are still in my closet.

I have audio tapes in cassette formats that I don't even recognize. Sold illicitly by radio DJs through the old GOLDMINE magazine, which was for music collectors.

I have 5-inch floppies, from my 1986 Kaypro XT computer. The ad had said: THE END OF OBSOLESCENCE -- because I would never need to buy another computer again. This was because the Kaypro XT had room for future upgrades -- a space for a hard drive (should I decide to buy one), a space for one of those new 2400 baud modems, and I could replace my monochrome graphics card with a color RGB card -- or even one of those soon to come EGA cards -- should I decide to. I was assured it was a computer that would last a lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City