Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sadly it's not that we want to make it another boring neighborhood, but it's inevitable. All the college grads want to live on great Manhattan Island so that they can party and get home drunk in 20 minutes so they can make it into their entry level job the next day. The executive wants a huge pre-war apartment for his 80 pound dog with plenty of nearby park space. The family of 5 that got priced out of the Upper West Side is looking for something that is close by and easy to relocate to.
Priced-out families, sure, but I don't think they make a neighborhood boring.

Drunk college grads and executives, I just don't see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM

34,001 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Priced-out families, sure, but I don't think they make a neighborhood boring.

Drunk college grads and executives, I just don't see it happening.
I should have put boring in quotes, I was referencing another post in this thread.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I frequent Time Square and only have been offered drugs a couple of times. Also, that really only happens on a block or too. It's not true that drugs are offered everywhere in the city. I've never been offered that in Woodlawn, Riverdale, Astoria (although it may occur around the projects), Flushing meadows etc. Compare this to the heights, were every single time on there, on almost all the blocks, there is someone pushing drugs on me. Don't believe me? Walk around the heights on a Friday-Saturday night, especially during the summer, when there are more people out, and I guarantee you'd be singing a different tune.

I've been to all those clubs and have never seen white people. I live right by Uptown Manhattan, and know the area well. Maybe there are one or two whites, but I doubt all these white people are all of a sudden going to dance merengue and speak spanish. They have different tastes. For that they'd go downtown.
I agree with this, I went to El Morocco on 145th street, I only see one or two white women who are friends with educated Latina most likely Dominican and thats it. Most Transplants in the area go downtown to party. Even here in Mott Haven, I was hungry and went to a local Dominican Chucho Frito and while waiting for my food a hipster chick from the Midwest came in. Man you should see her face, she was so perplexed and she looked at the menu with every option was written in Spanish. I asked her "anything good on that menu?"

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-10-2013 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Yes I agree this is a great thread.

I mean you just can't make your self an easy target. With the influx of yuppies or white people now going up and down the A line I always see people on their iPads on the subway platform and on the train . For someone on welfare with no money and nothing better to do... They will spot you , follow and snatch it from you when they see the right time ...that's easily 500$ for them.

As far as the music , being Latino, I enjoy the sounds and music and don't mind having some good quality weed being sold to me for a fair price... Beats having to drive and buy it and risk getting pulled over by Racist cops on north nj .....
How do they make $$$? Iphones are free now and ipods lose value after stolen like dirt cheap value. Nowhere near $500.

Yep if anyone didn't know:

iphone 4 is free
iphone 4S is $100
iphone 5 will be $100 soon (well if Apple follows trend)
iphone 5S will replace iphone 5

Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree with this, I went to El Morocco on 145th street, I only see one or two white women who are friends with educated Latina most likely Dominican and thats it. Most Transplants in the area go downtown to party. Even here in Mott Haven, I was hungry and went to a local Dominican Chucho Frito and while waiting for my food a hipster chick from the Midwest came in. Man you should see her face, she was so perplexed and she looked at the menu with every option was written in Spanish. I asked her "anything good on that menu?"
lol, I'm pretty sure you mean "Cuchi- frito". Which is a Puerto Rican thing btw not Dominican.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
lol, I'm pretty sure you mean "Cuchi- frito". Which is a Puerto Rican thing btw not Dominican.
lol yeah, this dude stay confusing PR's and DR's.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,223 times
Who's seen the show on MTV "Washington Heights"?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
How do they make $$$? Iphones are free now and ipods lose value after stolen like dirt cheap value. Nowhere near $500.

Yep if anyone didn't know:

iphone 4 is free
iphone 4S is $100
iphone 5 will be $100 soon (well if Apple follows trend)
iphone 5S will replace iphone 5
It's a trap!

They just spread the real cost of the phone out over the contract.

An unlocked stolen phone sold without a contract is definitely worth something.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM

213 posts, read 508,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Who's seen the show on MTV "Washington Heights"?
I saw it, have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, they avoided showcasing the negative aspects and stereotypes of the neighborhood's culture which was great. On the other hand, they didn't showcase much of the distinct aspects of Dominican culture either, perhaps because of the aforementioned reason as well: playing to stereotypes.

It seemed like your typical MTV reality show, with the slightly grittier backdrop of Washington Heights instead. I thought it was okay. I just wonder if the producers can achieve that balance of positive representation of Dominican culture with entertainment (the latter of which is important to MTV and its audience, which I figure is very difficult to do.

BET aired a somewhat similar series called "Harlem Heights" a couple of years ago, and some critics blasted it for being too "bougie", "whitewashed" and "boring", as the cast was made up of Black, educated 20-somethings actively involved in the neighborhood....and I don't mean street corners.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:05 PM

7 posts, read 10,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Idk about you but I get approached for drugs pretty openly all over the city. Some of the worst are tourist heavy areas like Chinatown and Times Square. Most young people do do not mind that.

As for getting robbed, it's more common uptown but idk think the risk is high enough to offset the savings in rent. Idk think a gentrifier is any more likely to get robbed then a local

As for Whites in Latin Clubs? Been to Papasitos, Mamamjuana, or La Marina lately? Not surprised to see White women (yea, not Hispanic ones) in those establishments from time to time. Tons in the Midtown/downtown Latin spots.

It would make sense for the area to gentrify considering the housing situation in the city. Want to slow that down? Educate the locals on dense housing.
LOL, do you offered drugs by the old 90 year old grandmas who sell apples on the street?

ahahahha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City