Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
The mistakes that these ladies made were very SIMPLE and they could have been avoided. I can understand Harlem's comments on the matter. There are condoms and birth control available. They also give it out for free in schools.
That person lives in the midwest somewhere, as was pointed out many times.
Apparently, there, they have 3-1-1. Here in New York we have 311. Suggestion - ignore.

And from experience I can tell you - these are seldom mistakes. It is a whole lifestyle, which has been supported given the fact that there are children involved and they would suffer for the choices of their mothers. I myself have argued that many times. But, in any case, it is a lifestyle where such "mistakes" are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 05:13 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
That person lives in the midwest somewhere, as was pointed out many times.
I have NEVER stepped foot in the midwest.

Why do you keep perpetuating this lie?

Seriously. Why?

Quote:
Apparently, there, they have 3-1-1. Here in New York we have 311.
No, the rest of the country utilizes 211.

Quote:
Suggestion - ignore.
Why should they ignore me? What are you afraid of? What about me bothers you so that you continuously tell people that I don't live here?

What type of jackass would post in a forum and "act" like they "live" here when they don't?

Quote:
And from experience I can tell you - these are seldom mistakes.
Again, you don't know what the freak you're talking about. You're putting everyone in one bag.

Quote:
It is a whole lifestyle, which has been supported given the fact that there are children involved and they would suffer for the choices of their mothers. I myself have argued that many times. But, in any case, it is a lifestyle where such "mistakes" are fine.
But why are you accusing the poster of being a part of this "lifestyle" when you know NOTHING about them?

Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm very aware of this. We all have choices. Yes, there are people who stay having kids whether they can take care of them or not which has always bewildered me.

But there are instances where people have literally fallen on hard times and had their kids when they were doing well financially. Too many people like to sit in judgment in this forum. People aren't coming here to hear "speeches". They just want to know if you can answer their question or not.
I agree. We know not much about the OP or the background. Responsible people hit hard times also, Sometimes we do everything with preparation and life throws us a curveball or a bump in the road. Being in a position if despair and nit being able to see a way out and having no immediate help is painful. This world can break one down quickly in many cases. Sad but true.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Agree with Harlem Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautifulbrooklyn33 View Post
It's not about why choose to have another child knowing there's no jobs or bad credit that's solely her choice and very judgemental might I add. It's hard for anyone that doesn't have the luxury period in nyc. You can have a job and still struggle the question should be what is her next step and she's trying to find options.. Go to nyc.gov and look under resources goodluck to u
I have to agree with Harlem Resident. People should be questioned about choices that keep them in a rut or diminishes their quality of life. Being questioned can sometimes cause people to think and make better decisions going forth. This is especially important considering that ultimately when a city gets too many people with a lower quality of life (NYC) it affects the rest of the citizenry negatively in one way or another. NYC has to be the most liberal city in the country and the educated pride pat themselves on the back for not "judging" others. Consequently, stupidity and bad life choices are rewarded in NYC with free housing, public assistance, and people tip-toeing around bad behavior. Of course, those rewards are courtesy of tax payers who work for a living.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree. We know not much about the OP or the background. Responsible people hit hard times also, Sometimes we do everything with preparation and life throws us a curveball or a bump in the road. Being in a position if despair and nit being able to see a way out and having no immediate help is painful. This world can break one down quickly in many cases. Sad but true.
The best forum on here to read those stories is the WORK AND EMPLOYMENT forum. Most of the people posting were professionals or people who did everything "right" and lost it all. Gawker had a running unemployment series with similar stories of the same thing.

I don't see why it's so wrong to claim benefits that YOUR TAX DOLLARS HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO during your years of working. If you need foodstamps, medicaid or cash assistance APPLY FOR IT. It's called a SAFETY NET for a REASON.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Consequently, stupidity and bad life choices are rewarded in NYC with free housing, public assistance,
Nothing in NYC is "free". You really don't what types of hoops people who need these things have to go through. If you did, you NEVER would have said the above.

Quote:
Of course, those rewards are courtesy of tax payers who work for a living.
This rhetoric no longer works in this economy. It went out with the Reagan/Bush era.

"Tax payers" who work for Walmart, Target and office jobs that are paying a couple of dollars above minimum wage are eligible for foodstamps and medicaid.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
The best forum on here to read those stories is the WORK AND EMPLOYMENT forum. Most of the people posting were professionals or people who did everything "right" and lost it all. Gawker had a running unemployment series with similar stories of the same thing.

I don't see why it's so wrong to claim benefits that YOUR TAX DOLLARS HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO during your years of working. If you need foodstamps, medicaid or cash assistance APPLY FOR IT. It's called a SAFETY NET for a REASON.
If you lost work and you're long term unemployed, you really have no choice but to apply for those benefits your tax dollars paid for. Unless you like living out in the streets and panhandling.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Nothing in NYC is "free". You really don't what types of hoops people who need these things have to go through. If you did, you NEVER would have said the above.

This rhetoric no longer works in this economy. It went out with the Reagan/Bush era.

"Tax payers" who work for Walmart, Target and office jobs that are paying a couple of dollars above minimum wage are eligible for foodstamps and medicaid.
Just as nothing in NYC is free, no one does anything out of the goodness of their heart.

There's a reason why NYC built and maintained so much public housing, and why they were so generous towards housing subsidies. It has nothing to do with helping poor people long term either, or caring.

A lot of business in NYC (small businesses, retail, warehouses, and shipping) rely on having a huge base of unemployed or barely employed people to chose from. They use these people for part time work, and pay them little. They are able to get away with it because of welfare subsidies.

If welfare programs across the city were ever eliminated, you'd have huge collapse in these sectors of the economy. Certain businesses, in order to survive, would have to pay a lot more money. Landlords in much of Brooklyn, much of Queens, the Bronx, and upper Manhattan would have to get used to not getting Section 8 (and not being able to pay the mortgage).

There's a huge welfare complex that makes its money off the poor, and this includes doctors who don't ty to cure or do a better job of treating diseases. Instead they'd rather get them on SSI and take their medicare/medicaid money.

This is a separate issue from those who did all the right things and their lives still fell apart for one reason or the other, mind you.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I have to agree with Harlem Resident. People should be questioned about choices that keep them in a rut or diminishes their quality of life. Being questioned can sometimes cause people to think and make better decisions going forth. This is especially important considering that ultimately when a city gets too many people with a lower quality of life (NYC) it affects the rest of the citizenry negatively in one way or another. NYC has to be the most liberal city in the country and the educated pride pat themselves on the back for not "judging" others. Consequently, stupidity and bad life choices are rewarded in NYC with free housing, public assistance, and people tip-toeing around bad behavior. Of course, those rewards are courtesy of tax payers who work for a living.
Unfortunately the city has long wanted and needed too many people with low qualities off life. Illegal immigrants who are jammed into basement or transplants living 9 people to an apartment in many ways are living worse than people officially on the government dole. Having too many people living in abject poverty (even if they are immigrants or transplants) effects others in town in one way or another. Yet the city tolerates all these extra people because having so many extra, desperate people around lowers wages. So businesses love it.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Thumbs up The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Just as nothing in NYC is free, no one does anything out of the goodness of their heart.

There's a reason why NYC built and maintained so much public housing, and why they were so generous towards housing subsidies. It has nothing to do with helping poor people long term either, or caring.

A lot of business in NYC (small businesses, retail, warehouses, and shipping) rely on having a huge base of unemployed or barely employed people to chose from. They use these people for part time work, and pay them little. They are able to get away with it because of welfare subsidies.

If welfare programs across the city were ever eliminated, you'd have huge collapse in these sectors of the economy. Certain businesses, in order to survive, would have to pay a lot more money. Landlords in much of Brooklyn, much of Queens, the Bronx, and upper Manhattan would have to get used to not getting Section 8 (and not being able to pay the mortgage).

There's a huge welfare complex that makes its money off the poor, and this includes doctors who don't ty to cure or do a better job of treating diseases. Instead they'd rather get them on SSI and take their medicare/medicaid money.

This is a separate issue from those who did all the right things and their lives still fell apart for one reason or the other, mind you.

EXACTLY!! The voice of reason prevails! I applaud your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City