Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM

55 posts, read 106,367 times

Advertisements

What are the major differences between the overall work ethic, quality and requirements ( i.e

quota or needing 60 college credits to be hired) of the nypd in comparison of todays force to lets say,

the the force of the 70's 80's 90's. Being that I am 26 I can faintly remember a time when Police

officer's wore blue colored shirts and drove those blue colored patrol cars.

When ever i come across old news reports etc a majority of the force in the 80's and early to mid

90's seemed (sterotypically i might add) old school *brooklyn accent * "yo yo yo " white / italian with a

chest full of hair and mustache. If anyone has ever seen Spike lee's Do The right thing, a spot

on refference would be that of the cops in the "mira mira" dialogue scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Today's NYPD is more diverse, educated, and tech savvy than ever.

Problems exist, the times are changing (along with demographics). Stop and frisk is being challenged as a violation in basic human rights. In the near future we may see the demise of some archaic drug laws. The city is definitely also more wealthy then ever before, less violent crime, more liberal, more tourism, and more diverse. Police must be increasingly vigilant of new challenges; from social networking to camera phones.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
NYPD might still have problems but anyone thinks that it hasn't much improved since the '70s should watch the movie Serpico.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN IN BROOKLYN 1986 View Post
What are the major differences between the overall work ethic, quality and requirements ( i.e

quota or needing 60 college credits to be hired) of the nypd in comparison of todays force to lets say,

the the force of the 70's 80's 90's. Being that I am 26 I can faintly remember a time when Police

officer's wore blue colored shirts and drove those blue colored patrol cars.

When ever i come across old news reports etc a majority of the force in the 80's and early to mid

90's seemed (sterotypically i might add) old school *brooklyn accent * "yo yo yo " white / italian with a

chest full of hair and mustache. If anyone has ever seen Spike lee's Do The right thing, a spot

on refference would be that of the cops in the "mira mira" dialogue scene.
No more height requirement. Previously an applicant had to be at least 5'-10".

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 PM

55 posts, read 106,367 times
In what year did the nypd ban beards and or mustaches? What was the reasoning behind it?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:56 PM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
NYPD was more corrupt in the past but most rookies are lower quality now.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 PM

138 posts, read 246,781 times
For a 26yo with no criminal background, college graduate, a few years of "office work" experience but no experience whatsoever in law enforcement / security, how hard/easy is it to get a job?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping322 View Post
For a 26yo with no criminal background, college graduate, a few years of "office work" experience but no experience whatsoever in law enforcement / security, how hard/easy is it to get a job?
It shouldn't be hard if you are also physically fit and mentally sound. Here is the hiring process for NYPD.

The Hiring Process | NYPDRECRUIT.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No more height requirement. Previously an applicant had to be at least 5'-10".
I wish the NYPD kept the old heigh requirement, we have way too many short/small NYPD officers right
now. I'm afraid they will get over-powered by the criminals unless they use their gun. We always have
lots of NYPD officers out of shape after a few years out of the academy, now we have out of shape
and short officers. Atleast the big and fat ones can still intimidate the criminals in the old days.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
^true

Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
I saw a female cop in Times Square who had to be 5'2" and 110 lbs wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City