Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,142 times

Advertisements

I had some questions I was hoping to receive input on concerning my move to Brooklyn. I've noticed all the replies in previous posts asking for help and I figured I'd give it a go. I accepted a job offer to move to NYC a couple of weeks back to start January 31st. I've been incessantly doing some research about the different cost of living, neighborhoods, craigslist, etc. With that said, I couple really use some assistance from some folks with experience in relocation. Here are a couple of facts to get you guys familiar with my situation:

I'm originally from Texas, Corpus Christi area, and have lived in Austin for the past 8 years. I'm a 30yr old single male who'll be making $135k and looking for a place in Brooklyn. I'll be working in DUMBO. They gave me a relocation package of $21k pre-tax to make sure I'm up there. I also own a home in Austin and some of the relocation has to go a property management leasing fee/home-prep.

I also have a 29yr old male roommate moving with me from Austin, who doesn't have a job yet, but he has money saved up and parental support if necessary. He has a studio art and radio, television, film degree and would be looking for work in those fields. We both don't drink or do drugs but enjoy ourselves some nightlife and ladies. I'm ditching the car and trying to sell everything in my Austin home because of the uncertainty of space/area/building we may end up. Whatever money I don't use on relocation I can pocket for incidentals/new furniture/savings. I'm willing to spend if it means convenience and less hassle in the long run.

I have a trip planned from January 12-19th and a place in Williamsburg secured to start the apartment search. I had a recommendation to sublet, if possible, a furnished place for a month or two to figure out where in Brooklyn, with all the trade-offs, I'd like to live. We've decided that ~$2500 is a comfortable range for us and I have great credit, I may be able to go a little higher. I'd like a 2 bedroom but a larger 1/1 would likely do. So considering all those facts...

1) Is is possible to get a 2 bedroom place for my budget in Williamsburg, Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Gowanus or Greenpoint? Street details anyone could offer would help too.

2) Is it unrealistic to assume I'll find a furnished sublet? Or, should I go full-bore on an apartment during my trip.

3) To broker or not to broker? I don't mind spending the money for someone to do the heavy lifting of the search, i.e have properties lined up to see.

4) Are there movers who'll take what I don't sell from Texas to NYC at a decent price? Or should I plan to UHaul it?

I'm sure there are a ton of other questions I'm not asking or thinking about this relocation. Any ideas, hints, insights, and questions are welcomed as I'm eager to learn more. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Cheers~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,213,961 times
1) Lose the roommate, you make more than enough.

2) Enjoy life without roommate.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 AM

Ha - that's just not likely to happen. I'm sober and could use the support and someone to be a partner in crime. Any comments other than that one?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,215 times
1) Is is possible to get a 2 bedroom place for my budget in Williamsburg, Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Gowanus or Greenpoint? Street details anyone could offer would help too.

I believe for that budget, you won't be getting a doorman with lots of amenities, but it should go far for a regular apartment building with laundry. Since you will be working in Dumbo, try the Williamsburg area of the M train (Marcy, Hewes, Lorimer stops). The G train at Broadway will take you to Dumbo and if you want to go out in the East Village or LES, the JMZ train is a good medium. It has great views across the Williamsburg Bridge and is not as crowded as the L. Someone who is more familiar with the specific neighborhoods you asked about can point you in the right direction streetwise.

2) Is it unrealistic to assume I'll find a furnished sublet? Or, should I go full-bore on an apartment during my trip.

Look on Air-BNB. See if you can find someone renting on a full furnished apartment for a month in your target areas. They are usually fully furnished and include utilities. You should also go full-out apartment hunting on your trip. Do be aware, most landlords will want the following: Last 2-3 years returns, last 2-3 paystubs or offer letter of employment (and some may want extra security because you are starting a new job (no matter how good your credit is), last 2-3 months of full bank statements and your photo ID. Also, after getting approved, most landlords will want you to sign the lease and be able to present the first month's rent and security checks at the lease signing.

3) To broker or not to broker? I don't mind spending the money for someone to do the heavy lifting of the search, i.e have properties lined up to see.

Brokers do help. We know landlords and good buildings. However, do not use a broker that is charging you a 15% fee, try to find someone charging a month to 12% (I would not even pay 12% in Brooklyn). And DO NOT USE Rapid Realty, you will see A LOT of ads for them on Craiglist. Stick to reputable companies and if anything feels shady, do not be afraid to switch brokers or tell them off.

4) Are there movers who'll take what I don't sell from Texas to NYC at a decent price? Or should I plan to UHaul it?
Movers will charge an arm and a leg. When my friend moved here from Florida, the movers made sure they took the longest route and used more tolls than necessary. Uhual however, may be just as expensive. See how much stuff you will be taking and what is justifiable. If you use a mover, of course, make sure they are insured.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post

I believe for that budget, you won't be getting a doorman with lots of amenities, but it should go far for a regular apartment building with laundry. Since you will be working in Dumbo, try the Williamsburg area of the M train (Marcy, Hewes, Lorimer stops). The G train at Broadway will take you to Dumbo and if you want to go out in the East Village or LES, the JMZ train is a good medium. It has great views across the Williamsburg Bridge and is not as crowded as the L. Someone who is more familiar with the specific neighborhoods you asked about can point you in the right direction streetwise.
If he's going to be working in DUMBO the closest trains are the A/C (Brooklyn Bridge Stop) and F (York St Stop). Those other trains are no where near DUMBO.

Of the areas the OP mentions, my personal preference is towards Fort Greene/Clinton Hill. IMO, the land marked sections of Ft Greene, are the nicest areas to live in the neighborhood. They are also closer to transportation (the C train) and the restaurants and bars. Here is a map of the Ft Greene land marked district http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download.../ft_greene.pdf

Park Slope is very nice as is Cobble Hill and they are both on the F so good transportation wise for you. I'm not as familiar with those areas as I am with Ft Greene/Clinton Hill though (other than the occasional brunch or to visit a friend in that area)- oh, great restaurants over there too.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM

I appreciate the reply shea and jad. Very helpful information overall.

On my second question, is it unresonable to get all the paperwork, go through a board if the building has one, and be ready for a Feb 1st move-in date? That's the question I struggle with as I consider a short-term/furnished rental.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,215 times
Jad2K, I was only referring that the JMZ would be good access to Manhattan if the OP wanted to hangout there and the G will take you close to Dumbo, but you will obviously have to transfer.

MCC55, boards are a different story entirely. Some meet once a month, some twice and some will meet if they have an applicant. In the event you run into a board, they may require more paperwork. It is a regular landlord it will take about 2-3 days depending on the landlord. Also, your roommate will be required to be on the lease, and most landlords will want his paperwork as well. However, since you make enough to meet the 40x rule, it shouldn't be a problem that he doesn't have a job yet.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC555 View Post
On my second question, is it unresonable to get all the paperwork, go through a board if the building has one, and be ready for a Feb 1st move-in date? That's the question I struggle with as I consider a short-term/furnished rental.
Ft. Greene is a great neighborhood. Another option is Downtown Brooklyn, near BAM. It’s within walking distance to great neighborhoods, has amazing transportation options, and has improved a lot in the last couple of years. You could cycle to DUMBO if you choose.

You will only need “board approval” if you’re doing a formal, long-term sublet in a co-op. If you get an ordinary rental in a landlord-owned building, there’s no board. As you have a short time frame and the luxury of paid moving expenses, I would use a broker. The stress, time and money you’ll spend finding a short-term sublet, plus moving twice (and possible storage issues) will compensate for the broker’s fee.

Keep in mind that any apartment you get will be smaller than what you have in Texas. Less is more; get rid of as much stuff as possible. Unless your furniture it antique or otherwise high-end, it’s probably cheaper to buy new rather than pay to have it trucked across the country.

It’s an exciting opportunity. Enjoy!

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 12-31-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,011 times
I agree, those location suggestions are stupid. You want to be close to the F or AC trains ideally (High St and York St stations are closest to DUMBO). I just signed a lease on a 3 bedroom in true Clinton Hill (i.e. not Bed Stuy) for $2,700 a month- and this place is renovated with laundry. If you are willing to up your budget even a little bit you can get into one of the new luxury buildings they are putting up along Flatbush in downtown Brooklyn. I have a cousin who lives in the Brooklyn Gold building- she is in a one bedroom but they put a wall up to convert it to a 2 bed. Rent is around $2500 total- sharing the space makes it a little small inside, but the building has a full gym, swimming pool with locker rooms, lounge with pool table/etc, movie theater style screening room, GIANT roof deck with grassy areas and an unreal view of lower Manhattan, a doorman, etc. It's truly just loaded with amenities.

The Buildings | BKLYN Gold

That's the building. If you're not into that, you can definitely find something else in your price range in most of the areas you asked about- The budget may be on the lower end for a really nice two bed, but it's certainly doable if you're patient and willing to hunt for a good deal. It's much more realistic if you're willing to pay a brokers fee. I'm most familiar with Fort Greene/Clinton Hill- In terms of street suggestions, beware of anything east of Franklin Ave that they are calling Clinton Hill- it's really Bed Stuy when you get into that area. Also up and coming and pretty cool, but probably not where you would want to be (i.e. more 19-21 year old college kids). Greenpoint and Williamsburg would leave you with a semi-crappy commute to work. Gowanus and Park Slope would be ideal via F train, Clinton Hill and Fort Greene are convenient mostly by bus- tons of buses that run regularly to the Fulton Mall/Downtown BK area, and you could basically walk from there. Cobble Hill is nice, but that and Park Slope would be the two 'hoods I would be most inclined to think you will be priced out of.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
Jad2K, I was only referring that the JMZ would be good access to Manhattan if the OP wanted to hangout there and the G will take you close to Dumbo, but you will obviously have to transfer.
Yeah but the optimal suggestion would be an area that has easy train access to both Manhattan and to DUMBO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City