Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 PM

398 posts, read 1,384,969 times

Advertisements

I would consider NYC(also Long Island)and north jersey the same when it comes to culture, people, accents, style etc. Idk too much about Connecticut though. Pennsylvania is very different. Including Philly.

Also; what are your predictions for NYC come 2013 in about 2 hours? I think it will be a great year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
I would consider NYC(also Long Island)and north jersey the same when it comes to culture, people, accents, style etc. Idk too much about Connecticut though. Pennsylvania is very different. Including Philly.

Also; what are your predictions for NYC come 2013 in about 2 hours? I think it will be a great year.
I know I spelt *Pennsylvania* wrong by accident lol

Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,205,729 times
Nevermind, typos happens to some posters more and some less.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,982,987 times
Quote:

NYC and Long Island = Yes.

NYC and Jersey = No.

Long Island and Jersey = Yes.

No predictions for 2013 from my end.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 PM

33,374 posts, read 46,784,531 times
Damn you get most questions of the year award.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
NYC and Long Island = Yes.

NYC and Jersey = No.

Long Island and Jersey = Yes.

No predictions for 2013 from my end.
How is Long Island similar to jersey and NYC but jersey and NYC aren't alike? Just wondering because I always felt jersey(well north jersey/the metropolitan area of jersey)was basically the same as NYC and Long Island. Thank you for your answer.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Nevermind, typos happens to some posters more and some less.
True

Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
How is Long Island similar to jersey and NYC but jersey and NYC aren't alike? Just wondering because I always felt jersey(well north jersey/the metropolitan area of jersey)was basically the same as NYC and Long Island. Thank you for your answer.
When I say "the same" I mean in terms of people's cultures, accents and what not. I've been to both areas my whole life and I've always felt the metropolitan area of New York and New Jersey were the same in terms of those things.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 AM

11,538 posts, read 12,562,494 times
Central and South Jersey has plenty of former New Yorkers too or their parents are former New Yorkers. PA is a big state. That's a little different there in terms of accent, culture, food. And when you say PA, do you mean the people of Philly or Pittsburgh because that's like asking are the natives of Rochester the same as people who live in New York City.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,763 times
Quote:

The tri state is NY, NJ, and CT, and for the greater parts are in the NYC orbit. Much of the states being bedroom communities of NYC.

Parts of all three states are outside of the NYC orbit. Parts of Jersey are in the Philly orbit.

NYS is a VERY large state with muliple regions. Parts of norhern NYS are in the Montreal/Canada/St. Lawrence orbit; other northern parts are in he Buffalo/Great Lakes orbit; parts of Western NYS are in the Cleveland orbit. So, just withine NYS, the diversity of population, work, and politics, can vary by extremes!

Parts of eastern CT is in the Boston/New England orbit. CT in my opinion and experience is the most *American*! That is CT has a higher percentage of WASPs, and a greater percentage of multi generational Americans dating back to the birth of the nation. That is, you'll find fewer (fill in the blank) hyphenated Americans.

The NYC orbit areas NYS and NJ, are filled with white ethnics who closely identify with thier non American cultural roots, and thnk and act in a "hyphenated" American manner. You also find among these groups and NYC orbit, a high level of liberalism, Progressivism, and Unionism.

Move outside the NYC orbit and ALL of that drops considerably, mimicing more of a "Red State" in lifestyle, politicis, and culturally. There is a reason, that until recently, NYS politics had been dominated by Republicans, as is NJ. I am not as familiar with CT politics, except to know that their is a HIGH level of government corruption.

PA is not a part of the tri state, and orbits Philly and Pittsburg. So little commonality, except for the urban immigrant experience. White ethnics like NYC; Unionism too. Philly is truly the cultural center (not NYC!), and center of PA's own distinct Americanism, with its ownPhilly Brahims.

Many would see the American northern pedigree order as, Philadelphia, Boston, and then NYC. The three regional American, cultural, financial and historic nuclei.

All of the tri states, in addition to PA, have failed 'Rustbelt' industial regions. All have bygone cities and towns, once economic centers, passed by technological advances, which have not and will not recover.

NYS and the cities along the Erie canal and it sriver offshoots, from Buffalo, Rochester to Albany, including Syaracuse. Demised products of the Erie Canal and waterway, and the latter NY Central RR. Both once the nation's economic backbone, and the driver of NYC's harbor and wealth. Nothing but shadows, places of memories of bygone eras.

Same can be said for both NJ and CT's defunct industrial small towns and cities.

All demised urban centers, and many nothing but "ghetto" cities. *Some* surrounded by a relatively proporous suburban ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City