Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times

Advertisements

I want to see a case when a White professional, White Ghetto/Trash person, Black professional, and Black Ghetto/Trash person all are sent to apply to these landlords and see if it's racism or classism. Of course other races could be used. The results would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
The only places I'm aware this is happening are Breezy point and Sea gate, Both with white populations in the high 90s.

My block (in Astoria) is pretty diverse. About 50% White, 35% Hispanic and 15% Asian.
And yep, there's one black dude (J Coltrane maybe ) on my block always walking his dog and sometimes seating on his stoop.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I hadn't heard from him by midday the next day, so I sent him a text asking him if they've made a decision. Get this: He has to wait to hear from his broker because he has 5 different people coming to see the place in two weeks. Okay..... so a broker knows he will have 5 separate people coming to see the place in 2 weeks???? Also, if you place a "for rent by owner" ad, where does the broker come in?
Its very possible the owner is full of BS, racist, etc etc.

As a landlord, i'll tell you my experience. Even renting out a property with no fee on my own, brokers STILL bring potential renters. Its well known renters pay brokers the fee. Some brokers are very agressive. I've been in situation where i receive 20 plus offers in one day...no exaggeration. In my experience, there seems to be at least 1 out of the 10 that demands an explanation why they didn't get the place. Some would accuse racism, discrimination, etc etc...with zero proof. Its the internet here & people don't have to believe this story but its true where this has happened many times over.

Also about 8 out of 10 renters are pretty prepared with financials & reference letters when coming to look at the place in person. Some would even insist on taking a check right then & there. Now that wouldn't be fair if I had made 12 appointments that same day, right?

Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
You don't have to provide any reason for why they didn't get the place. A simple no is sufficient...and if they want a reason they can file a lawsuit, at which point I am happy to go to court and tell them they were: unprofessional, smokers, loud, rude, smelled, or whatever reason kept them from getting the apt. I have tenants of all colors in my properties, but all the same class, so the allegation of "racism" doesn't work.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You don't have to provide any reason for why they didn't get the place. A simple no is sufficient....
racism do exist but its sometimes an overused excuse. People want to know a reason....almost demanding a reason. I've declined perfectly fine potenial renters simply bc i have too many offers.

i won't lie but its not a first come first serve process in terms of looking for tenants. Its normal of me to find the best tenant for my investment (its not based on race by a long shot )

Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
You don't have to provide any reason for why they didn't get the place. A simple no is sufficient...and if they want a reason they can file a lawsuit, at which point I am happy to go to court and tell them they were: unprofessional, smokers, loud, rude, smelled, or whatever reason kept them from getting the apt. I have tenants of all colors in my properties, but all the same class, so the allegation of "racism" doesn't work.
This could change, though, when demand increases for your area.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
NYWriter Dude: I am not making a statement on income, I am making a statement on the people who are likeliest to respond to my posting, in Mott Haven, at that price point for a 2 bedroom.

Secondly, the Bronx was historically considered working class, NOT a ghetto.

And these are reasons why I don't respond to your comments, and will be the last time I do so. You don't know what you are talking about, have no basis for your comments, and babble nonstop. Now go and write something instead of wasting everyone's time here.

Historically, the Bronx since the 1970s was and is still considered a ghetto. Most people still think of it as such ,I'm sorry, but that is still the national reputation. There's no point in pretending otherwise. Its a history you wish to ignore, but its a reality nonetheless, at least in terms of what large scores of people think when you say the Bronx. So you'll be having fun screening out welfare applications for quite some time.

ENJOY!

Now yes, the Bronx has certainly gotten much better in recent years, but its got a lot of work before public perception is fully changed.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 01-03-2013 at 03:38 AM..

Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 AM

594 posts, read 1,633,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I want to see a case when a White professional, White Ghetto/Trash person, Black professional, and Black Ghetto/Trash person all are sent to apply to these landlords and see if it's racism or classism. Of course other races could be used. The results would be interesting.
I'll guarantee you if you sent a black person in professional clothing and a nice demeanor out to see an apartment vs. a white guy from Alabama wearing torn up jeans, a NASCAR shirt, and missing teeth who speaks with a big southern twang that the black person will get the apartment every single time in ANY neighborhood in New York.

I don't blame them, I wouldn't rent to the redneck either for the same reason SoBroGuy was saying that he turns down welfare cases/people who don't bother to represent themselves well when trying to get something they want.

I don't know if that's reverse racism or whatnot, but it's true.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Historically, the Bronx since the 1970s was and is still considered a ghetto. Most people still think of it as such ,I'm sorry, but that is still the national reputation. There's no point in pretending otherwise. Its a history you wish to ignore, but its a reality nonetheless, at least in terms of what large scores of people think when you say the Bronx. So you'll be having fun screening out welfare applications for quite some time.

ENJOY!

Now yes, the Bronx has certainly gotten much better in recent years, but its got a lot of work before public perception is fully changed.
Patently false.
There are many good areas in the Bronx, and most of those have always been "good."

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Most of what that person says is patently false..best to ignore him. Harlem do you see this happening in Harlem? I would think if there is a place where this is a problem, Harlem would be that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City