Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I don't care.

I'm sorry, but are you saying that NYC has NOT been racist over the years and neither is the "FDNY"?
@ available I don't completely agree with everything marilyn is saying on here but you have to concede to the fact that it's a little odd that the NYPD is somewhere around 50% white and 50% everything else meanwhile the FDNY is still over 90% white...

Edit: In response to the post about reverse racism... I have never been one to disregard this idea either... It pisses me off to the core that certain Black and Hispanic people claim racism for the stupidest things on this planet and yet many times they seem to be the most racist out of all ethnic groups. Additionally, in many cases they show clear favoritism... My issue however, is with everything getting an equal shot regardless of color to rent in this city... And it's something that seems to be becoming a bigger problem once again...

@ marilyn, I agree that Manhattan has seemed to be practicing this idea since the mid 90s but like I said, my reaction wasn't at that... I knew that had been going on in Manhattan in an effort to supposedly "clean up the place"... My reaction stems from the fact that instead of the continued diversity of former majority white areas in most of the Queens areas I mentioned, we are seeing the opposite despite the fact that crime rates only continued to lower throughout those years in those specific precincts...

If there were to be a correlation between the added diversity and a spike in crime then I would understand the reasoning but these areas that were beginning to become more diverse as the years went on up until 2000 were only becoming safer and safer... There was no logical reason for these areas to reverse trends and yet even within more suburban areas far away from more urban areas near the city, this is becoming a trend... That is what I don't understand and it is something that should and needs to be addressed...

Last edited by anon1; 01-01-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
Nonsense.

It's gentrification and it has been happening through the country in many cities over the last 20 years. There was a good NYT article about how crime declines in large cities have been somewhat offset by crime increases in suburbia as the chaff gets pushed out there.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
@Marilyn: Yeah we will definitely disagree until you do some research.

@anon: You know you're my boy on here. But the answer is literally nothing more than a problem of recruitment (which they have gotten much better at even before these lawsuits). And I'm not even remotely joking, that's literally it. These are civil service exams. Extremely simple ones at that. More numbers of folks who are not white sign up and score high enough for NYPD. They also hire much more frequently. The percentages who sign up and score high enough for FDNY pretty much exactly mirror who gets hired. These are color blind civil service processes. There is no formal interview process that allows for subjective hiring.

It's really quite simple.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the ultimate leverage use of civil rights law, the capitalistic system is discriminatory against AA.
just bek i dont have the money to buy a house or pay the rent is no reason to deny me either.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ available I don't completely agree with everything marilyn is saying on here but you have to concede to the fact that it's a little odd that the NYPD is somewhere around 50% white and 50% everything else meanwhile the FDNY is still over 90% white...

@ marilyn, I agree that Manhattan has seemed to be practicing this idea since the mid 90s but like I said, my reaction wasn't at that... I knew that had been going on in Manhattan in an effort to supposedly "clean up the place"... My reaction stems from the fact that instead of the continued diversity of former majority white areas in most of the Queens areas I mentioned, we are seeing the opposite despite the fact that crime rates only continued to lower throughout those years in those specific precincts...

If there were to be a correlation between the added diversity and a spike in crime then I would understand the reasoning but these areas that were beginning to become more diverse as the years went on up until 2000 were only becoming safer and safer... There was no logical reason for these areas to reverse trends and yet even within more suburban areas far away from more urban areas near the city, this is becoming a trend... That is what I don't understand and it is something that should needs to be addressed...
I agree it should be addressed and you KNOW what the answer is.

Whenever I see an area that is majority one culture or race in a super diverse city like this, then I know it is being done by DESIGN. People will make up all these excuses, but the truth is staring you right in the face. The lawsuit you linked to even says it's become a systematic problem towards BLACKS and that whites are the "choice people". How does the super know they're "choice" people? Because of their white skin, light hair and light eyes?

he suit alleges that the superintendent of the building, located at 41-41 46th St. and owned by NASA Real Estate Corporation, lied to three African-Americans seeking apartments for rent.

The would-be tenants were allegedly told no spaces were available in the over-100-unit building; however, vacant apartments were shown to Caucasian individuals less than an hour later, the suit claims.

Quote:
According to the FHJC, the superintendent told the Caucasian individuals, “I chose the people. ... You look like nice people, that’s why I show you.” He described the building as one made up of “choice people. Not everybody.”

Emery Celli, Brinckerhoff & Abady LLP (ECBA) is representing the plaintiffs. The lawsuit seeks in- junctive relief to stop the discrimination and ensure future compliance with fair housing laws, as well as compensatory damages, punitive damages, and attorneys’ fees and costs.

The FHJC also claimed that discrimination in the area may be systemic.

According to the 2010 Census, fewer than two percent of all rental housing units in Sunnyside are occupied by African-American households. However, African-American renters comprise 18 percent of all renter households in Queens and 27 percent of all renter households in New York City.

Over the past several years, FHJC investigations have uncovered discriminatory practices by housing providers in New York City and surrounding suburban areas, leading to over $2 million in damages and extensive injunctive relief affecting thousands of housing units, the center stated.

“Testing is the only investigative tool capable of comparing and documenting how similarly qualified renters of different races are being treated in the housing market,” according to FHJC Executive Director Fred Freiberg. “Individual renters are often unaware that discrimination is occurring. If housing discrimination is not detected, it is not reported. Yet, these odious practices restrict housing choice and perpetuate residential segregation.”

Earlier this year, the FHJC settled a case for $225,000 against landlords who allegedly engaged in similar racial discrimination in Brooklyn apartment.
I hope the plaintiffs get over $200,000 each for their humiliation.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Nonsense.

It's gentrification and it has been happening through the country in many cities over the last 20 years. There was a good NYT article about how crime declines in large cities have been somewhat offset by crime increases in suburbia as the chaff gets pushed out there.
you are comparing two different things... You are discussing the garbage delincuents moving from former hood areas into suburban areas because they were pushed out due to gentrification...

I am not speaking of those ignorant imbeciles (which could be of any shape, color or size btw...) Here I posted a link that has to do with working minority families or renters that illegally get discriminated against simply based on stereotypical perception that only accounts for a small percentage of that specific race...

Case in point... Just a simple example and not necessarilly a true case... A black doctor being refused an apartment in a sunnyside building out of fear of certain behavior for what many assume to be true in all majority hispanic or black areas in this city...

Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Edit: In response to the post about reverse racism... I have never been one to disregard this idea either... It pisses me off to the core that certain Black and Hispanic people claim racism for the stupidest things on this planet and yet many times they seem to be the most racist out of all ethnic groups. Additionally, in many cases they show clear favoritism... My issue however, is with everything getting an equal shot regardless of color to rent in this city... And it's something that seems to be becoming a bigger problem once again...
Wow.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Nonsense.

Did you read the link Anon1 posted?

It's clearly NOT gentrification, but good old fashioned RACISM perpetrated by a non-white person.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Just in case it was missed I edited my first response to include this...

Edit: In response to the post about reverse racism... I have never been one to disregard this idea either... It pisses me off to the core that certain Black and Hispanic people claim racism for the stupidest things on this planet and yet many times they seem to be the most racist out of all ethnic groups. Additionally, in many cases they show clear favoritism... My issue however, is with everyone getting an equal shot regardless of color to rent in this city... And it's something that seems to be becoming a bigger problem once again...

@ available I hear what you're saying but I do remember reading some of the questionnaires that were given out to people who were interested in becoming FDNY and some of those questions definitely had a racial undertone... Again maybe this has changed but when I read that back in 2003 I was pretty ticked off reading it... I can't remember any specifics I just know that when I read it, it seemed pretty obvious what the intent was...

Getting back to the thread however... I'm curious to see what you think about what's going on in these areas... Do you agree, disagree?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The percentages who sign up and score high enough for FDNY pretty much exactly mirror who gets hired. These are color blind civil service processes. There is no formal interview process that allows for subjective hiring.

It's really quite simple.
But how can you explain almost every member of the FDNY having a brother, cousin, father, grandfather, uncle, great uncle related to them in one way in the department? Not just one member of the family, but several?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City