Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times

Advertisements

THEY WOULDN

We could list a number of reasons as to why the black population has decreased in this city... Rising rents overall, rising mortgage costs, exhaustion of the high stress lifestyle, or high crime living environments of a number of majority black areas...

With that said, we are once again (due in large part to the notion that gentrification can only consist of white renters moving into diverse or majority minority areas) beginning to see rental discrimination that I feel as if personally, hasn't been seen since the mid 90s...

All we have to do in order to give this notion creedence is to look at former working class areas in Queens and certain Brooklyn areas like a Sunnyside, Long Island City, Astoria, Woodside, Hillside, Greenpoint, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Rego Park, Richmond Hill, Flushing, etc... All these areas have seen a slight or dramatic decrease in the Black population as time passes... Not all of it is restricted to the notion of rental discrimination or housing discrimination but it just looks as if where at one point these practices seemed to be going away and diversity across the boroughs other than Manhattan were growing in the 2000s, now we are reversing the trend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Suit Claims Racial Discrimination In Sunnyside

The superintendent and landlord of a Sunnyside apartment building have been hit with a lawsuit alleging racial discrimination in renting out homes, according to The Fair Housing Justice Center (FHJC), which announced the suit last Wednesday, Dec. 5.

The suit alleges that the superintendent of the building, located at 41-41 46th St. and owned by NASA Real Estate Corporation, lied to three African-Americans seeking apartments for rent.

The would-be tenants were allegedly told no spaces were available in the over-100-unit building; however, vacant apartments were shown to Caucasian individuals less than an hour later, the suit claims.

According to the FHJC, the superintendent told the Caucasian individuals, “I chose the people. ... You look like nice people, that’s why I show you.” He described the building as one made up of “choice people. Not everybody.”
Yeah, this illegal got some nerve doesn't he?

I don't know why you are so surprised about it. It's been happening in Manhattan since the mid-1990s.

I find it to be moreso modern day CLASSISM than racism, but I'm sure for some landlords race could be a problem as well.

I still say the further away you are from Manhattan, the better your chances of finding an apartment will be.

Again, most blacks that were able to leave this city for better places did and never looked back. The same with the puerto rican population too. You go to cities where you can stand a chance.

NYC has been notoriously racist for years. The NYFD is a prime example of this. How do you stay 93% white in 2012 (now 2013), unless serious racist practices are involved.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
NYC has been notoriously racist for years. The NYFD is a prime example of this. How do you stay 93% white in 2012 (now 2013), unless serious racist practices are involved.

Oh Christ, here we go. Don't make me lay a SoBroGuy smack down on ya. No please, don't. I really don't have the patience today. Maybe I'll just link you an old thread. Also, it's called the FDNY.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Oh Christ, here we go. Don't make me lay a SoBroGuy smack down on ya. No please, don't. I really don't have the patience today. Maybe I'll just link you an old thread. Also, it's called the FDNY.
I don't care.

I'm sorry, but are you saying that NYC has NOT been racist over the years and neither is the "FDNY"?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Right. This is someone who lives far, far away with no idea what might be the case in New York.
The good news is - if you stop responding, it will go away.
Or "feeding" is the word I guess.

This makes what could be interesting discussion completely uninteresting, unfortunately.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:

Again, most blacks that were able to leave this city for better places did and never looked back. The same with the puerto rican population too. You go to cities where you can stand a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
All these areas have seen a slight or dramatic decrease in the Black population as time passes...
Let's add this up

#1 Blacks have been leaving the city for other locations in the country for years and continue to do so. (This is true - here's the link For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South
#2 The black population of certain areas of the city has been dropping. (This would have to be true, since #1 is true)

I added #1 and #2 up and decided that the reason there are fewer blacks in Greenpoint, etc. is because landlords won't rent to them. Obvious! Not that some percentage of the black population already left the city and aren't even trying to rent here anymore. No, that could not be a possible explanation.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I don't care.

I'm sorry, but are you saying that NYC has NOT been racist over the years and neither is the "FDNY"?

I never said that there hasn't been racism in this city or any area of this country. Of course there has. I'm speaking specifically about your assumption that this one particular department is majority white because they "intentionally discriminate in their hiring practices". You're speaking from a place that you have not researched and only from what you've heard growing up. In reality, there are far more agencies that are majority black and/or Latino that are more disproportionate to their representation in population than FDNY is. And there is a very simple reason for it. But nobody wants to talk about it and are much more satisfied at looking at "evil whitey" being all discriminatory in their hiring. But alas, I don't want to derail the thread. I'll link you the old thread later.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Let's add this up

#1 Blacks have been leaving the city for other locations in the country for years and continue to do so. (This is true - here's the link For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South
#2 The black population of certain areas of the city has been dropping. (This would have to be true, since #1 is true)

I added #1 and #2 up and decided that the reason there are fewer blacks in Greenpoint, etc. is because landlords won't rent to them. Obvious! Not that some percentage of the black population already left the city and aren't even trying to rent here anymore. No, that could not be a possible explanation.
I'm not understanding this post Henna and usually I agree with most of your posts.

Are you saying it's not racism in some areas or it is?

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Right. This is someone who lives far, far away with no idea what might be the case in New York.
The good news is - if you stop responding, it will go away.
Or "feeding" is the word I guess.

This makes what could be interesting discussion completely uninteresting, unfortunately.
You're right man. I can't help it sometimes. You're right though.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I never said that there hasn't been racism in this city or any area of this country. Of course there has. I'm speaking specifically about your assumption that this one particular department is majority white because they "intentionally discriminate in their hiring practices". You're speaking from a place that you have not researched and only from what you've heard growing up. In reality, there are far more agencies that are majority black and/or Latino that are more disproportionate to their representation in population than FDNY is. And there is a very simple reason for it. But nobody wants to talk about it and are much more satisfied at looking at "evil whitey" being all discriminatory in their hiring. But alas, I don't want to derail the thread. I'll link you the old thread later.
With all due respect (and I sincerely mean this), we're going to have to RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City