Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
So? Whose fault is that? Are the tenants supposed to feel "bad" for this somehow?

LLs know the risks of this when they decided to become LLs in a winter city like this one.

As a tenant, I don't care about the LLs heating costs. I care about MY comfort level and that's it, ESPECIALLY if I'm paying anything over $1,000 - rent stabilized/control or not.

I would give the LLs maybe three chances to rectify my heating issue and NO, I'm not purchasing thermometers to "prove" anything. The apartment is either cold and not getting heat or it is. I swear some of the posts on this forum on here kills me with this "looking out for the LL, too" nonsense.
If you don't like the legally mandated temps, buy a place and turn the heat up as high as you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you don't like the legally mandated temps, buy a place and turn the heat up as high as you want.
If my place is cold and I'm not getting heat, I'm calling 311. End of story.

You guys give these landlords all sorts of excuses for treating you like crap.

I'm not you. If it's 35 degrees outside, then more than likely my apartment is freezing as well.

If I alert the landlord and super to the situation and they continue to tell me some b.s. about it being "regulated" and I'm freezing my butt off, then the proper people will be called.

I don't care about making my LL "upset".

Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
If my place is cold and I'm not getting heat, I'm calling 311. End of story.

You guys give these landlords all sorts of excuses for treating you like crap.

I'm not you. If it's 35 degrees outside, then more than likely my apartment is freezing as well.

If I alert the landlord and super to the situation and they continue to tell me some b.s. about it being "regulated" and I'm freezing my butt off, then the proper people will be called.

I don't care about making my LL "upset".
If they come and the heat is within the legal limits, then what? Like I said, buy your own place and keep it as hot as hell if you want.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
If they come and the heat is within the legal limits, then what? Like I said, buy your own place and keep it as hot as hell if you want.
If I'm calling them, then it's NOT in the "legal limits".

Look, I'm not some wimp. I know the difference between a cold apartment and a warm one. I'm not walking around my apartment with gloves and two sweaters on, because my LL is cheap or can't afford his fuel.

NOT MY PROBLEM.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
If I'm calling them, then it's NOT in the "legal limits".

Look, I'm not some wimp. I know the difference between a cold apartment and a warm one. I'm not walking around my apartment with gloves and two sweaters on, because my LL is cheap or can't afford his fuel.

NOT MY PROBLEM.
well, i think we all do, but trust me on this, having the thermometer is the best thing, because the degree is what the degree is, so that is a good backup.

Just telling the LL, your cold, and i get it, I hate the cold too, but at least when you have the back up of saying my apartment is 65 degrees, the thermometer doesnt lie, it is good leverage.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Quote:
Yes - I very much agree with this.

I only have a couple of friends who have the single family house, but both keep the winter temps uncomfortably low - like in the low 60s during the day. That is cold.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I have friends that I don't go to their home in the winter as they keep it bone chilling, to save on heating fuel, but yet they will use the portable electric radiators to heat a certain room at a time. I also think by lowering and raising the temp all the time, it doesnt save money because it has to constantly re heat was has turned cold....

Now when the summer comes they pump the a/c like there is no tomorrow.....

dont get it, they will pay a huge electric bill in the summer but wont splurge for the oil bill in the winter......doesnt it really equate???

Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Some people can't stand the heat but are OK with the cold. I've worked with people like that who are always lowering the thermostat in summer and winter. We went to visit a friend over the weekend and had to keep coats/blankets on the whole time, but they seemed perfectly comfortable.

Again, others find 71 degrees to be cold in the winter. The tenants I spoke of earlier had the same reaction as Marilyn - they were like, I don't care what temperature it is - it's cold. They called 311, but temps were within legal limits. It's not like these were reasonable people in other respects - they were pretty much the worst tenants you can imagine - always behind on their portion of the rent (they were "working" section 8), had extra people living there, caused significant damage to the building - but that's for another thread.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
ROFL.

I know a couple who will not admit they are cheapskates (plenty in the bank, believe me.) In the Winter they are wearing two sweaters each with the therrmostat set to ARCTIC and when I visit and start shivering they say "They like it on the cool side."
In the Summer when I visit and the place is like the Sahara at Noon in spite of Central Air conditioning that they NEVER turn on, they forget themselves and they say "Oh, we don't mind the heat."

I have solved the problem...I never visit them anymore.

Another cheapskate had an apartment that got broiling in Summer and AC was kept off. She moved to a co-op with electricity provided and now you can safely store ice cream on her cocktail table.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
My landlord have bascially stop putting on the heat a about the 3rd week in March this year. We complained about the heat not coming up before properly but the landlord came and checked after many complaints.. Then we was told that they would come back to check it and that some professional would come check it out also the next week but no one came. But I see now that was just to give us some thing to hold on to, cause the next week the temperature was high, so I see why we were told that the professional would come that week. The temperature have been crazy by rising and dropping, but yet we are cold in the apartment and there is no heat. And if it does come it's once in some cold day maybe, and for a very very very, very short time. Not long enough nor warm enough to make us comfortable. It's crazy to have to sleep with socks, the blanket that's on the couch, the very thick blanket also, plus sweater and sweat pants under our clothes. There times its so cold that you can't do anything but try to stay warm. We some time have to boil water to try to warm up the place. But you can't leave that on too long either, the bathroom is cold and the kitchen. The way the building is made there is a corridor and the apartment is to back, and there is cold breeze coming through the kitchen door at the bottom at times.. And also the window are cold so this increase the coldness in the apartment. And at night when you use the wash room the water is cold even when you turn it more on hot. Sometime we have to cover our heads to sleep with the thick blanket because we get bad head ache which also our head feels cold. It's crazy cause sometime the temperature looks high but it feels really cold. We have family members who still have heat in their place, even thought the temperature seems high. This is crazy we tired of complaining, but the landlord just gives us a run around and tries to feed us some stories.. We trying not to make any problems but this crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City