Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 14,097 times

Advertisements

The housing project you are referring to is the Rabbi Stephen Wise Towers - two 19-story buildings with 399 apartments with 739 residents. The 2.3-acre site was completed in 1965. It's between West 90th and West 91st Streets, Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues.

Wise Towers is one of 21 developments built by New York City and New York State that contain 20,170 units of public housing.

I've lived in the neighborhood since 1980. Never had a problem. There are many more NYCHA buildings on the UWS.

Amsterdam Houses a NYCHA housing project has 13 buildings, some 6 and some 13-stories high on 9.49 -acres. The 1,080 apartment complex houses an estimated 2,382 persons. It was completed in 1948 located across Amsterdam Avenue from Lincoln Center and is bordered by West 61st and West 64th Streets, from Amsterdam Avenue to West End Avenue in Manhattan.

Amsterdam Houses were built more than a decade before the vast urban renewal program in the 1960's that included the new Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and the eight Lincoln Towers buildings on 20 acres in the west 60's between West End Avenue and Amsterdam. Many people think Lincoln Towers are Housing projects. They couldn't give apartments away there in the 80's. Now 2 bedrooms there are selling for $1.5M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 03:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Another clueless post.....

Fulton Houses went up in 1965 when that part of Chelsea was totally different than today. In fact the area was hoodish late as the 1980's and 1990's. The only "high end" housing over there was London Terrace Apartments.

I definitely recall this in my own lifetime.
We knew people who bought in London Terrace and people were not so enthusiastic.
Or is it London Terrace ? The big co-op building. Beautiful pool area, deco.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Another clueless post.....

Fulton Houses went up in 1965 when that part of Chelsea was totally different than today. In fact the area was hoodish late as the 1980's and 1990's. The only "high end" housing over there was London Terrace Apartments.
Clueless how? I'm fully aware of the fact that area of Manhattan was a dump at one point in time. I was merely commenting on the current phenomenon of NYCHA properties occupying now prime real estate. Do us all a favor and try to be a little less insufferable next time will ya?

Old 01-07-2016, 05:07 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Before "London Terrace" there was London Terrace - a group of apartment buildings designed to look like London terraced flat apartments.

Here is what was torn down to build the current version:

Old 01-07-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Before "London Terrace" there was London Terrace - a group of apartment buildings designed to look like London terraced flat apartments.

Here is what was torn down to build the current version:

That's a great picture.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I definitely recall this in my own lifetime.
We knew people who bought in London Terrace and people were not so enthusiastic.
Or is it London Terrace ? The big co-op building. Beautiful pool area, deco.

Several gay friends had apartments in LT back in the day. Only the renter are still there while the co-op owners sold (for very big money) and moved on.

As with many other places LT was caught up in the 1980's co-op conversion boom. However very few RC/RS tenants chose to purchase. Rather as an non-eviction plan a large percentage chose to remain as renters. Pity as they would be sitting on gold mines now. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.153500

Once the High Line and that part of Chelsea became high end/luxury whatever working or middle class "white collar" cachet the place had vanished. The RS tenants of course make out like bandits in that they are living in a very now highly desirable area for very little money.

As for that pool IIRC there is still a battle raging between the renters and co-op over access for the former.

Personally never liked much of LT that one saw. It all seemed rather dated and stuck in the 1930's especially the bathrooms. But again these were the rental side.

For television sitcom buffs the building shown as Will Truman's law office is just one block up on 23rd from LT.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 01-07-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
That's a great picture.

But wait, there's more!

Daytonian in Manhattan: The 1931 London Terrace Apartments

And even a series of promotional films: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJHneKA80I

As originally conceived LT was marketed to what one would consider middle class or whatever "white collar" households. It was situated not far from Mid-town (west) though those working on the east would need to take a few trains or buses. You also had Penn Station just several blocks north.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:23 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
Ugh, I wish I could afford to live near the projects in Manhattan. I'll trade places with you!? Trust me, being stuck in corny breadknot baby-ville New Brooklyn is the pits. I grew up half my childhood in the projects (in NJ though) and never had any problems living around projects before I moved to the albino rat-hole I live in now. Yes, the grass is always greener, and greener, and greener.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
As for that pool IIRC there is still a battle raging between the renters and co-op over access for the former.
Yes, there is !

And the 1930s kitchen ...

Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:

It's a shame they knocked those down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City