Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM

167 posts, read 306,100 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, sorry if this sounds obnoxious but maybe someone can relate to this

I live in a pre-war building by the in manhattan, west 20s, my place is tiny. The location is great though! The highline is here, which I love.

I am actually very content with the situation, I never see my roommate and he never bothers me.

Now, being an eligible bachelor though, this place makes me look like I'm barely getting by. I make over $100,000 , none of my dates know this. I do like to portray a bit of decadence with the things I do but taking them to my apartment greatly undermines this facade.

A lot of girls don't care, its kind of fun having a monopoly on straight women in chelsea, but people not from the city are super surprised at my living situation.

I choose not to pay $2000 or $3000/month for a bachelor pad, I didn't come to nyc to impress women... I've seen some of my friends living in the luxury highrises, they have like 3 or 4 roommates. Typically 4 people living in these apartments. Lots of space and the amenities can be pretty great. Rent for an individual would be pretty similar to what I'm paying now.

But social dynamics aren't "fixed" by money, everything is either completely good with all of your roommates, or its not. I'm completely good with my one roommate right now.

If you were in my situation, would you move to something more posh taking a gamble on more roommates? Most things I've seen for one person are not impressive and I can't rationalize the value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 PM

151 posts, read 404,898 times
Pre-war buildinga are the best. stay where you are. These "luxury (so tired of that overused word) buildings" have shotty construction andnyou can hearnyour neighbors like they are in the room with you.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
Pre-war buildinga are the best. stay where you are. These "luxury (so tired of that overused word) buildings" have shotty construction andnyou can hearnyour neighbors like they are in the room with you.
thanks, thats one thing worth considering. But I do like 20st century amenities like central air and heating. I've gotten used to the clankity clank boiler radiating heating though.

I see the new buildings that come up, they build them very quickly, it is surprising and eye opening seeing the way their skeletons look

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
how old are you? If i was making 100K, i would have my own place. It does not have to be a luxury building but a regular walk-up. You could be living by yourself with your salary. There is no need for roommates. I was making 45K and i had my own place in Wash Heights.(not the greatest location but it was a start). I now live in UWS with a cousin. I want my salary to be 60K so i can move out on my own again.

You can find reasonably priced apts in lower Manhattan and trendy areas in BK with your salary. The max rent is 2222 with your salary.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
Now, being an eligible bachelor though, this place makes me look like I'm barely getting by. I make over $100,000 , none of my dates know this. I do like to portray a bit of decadence with the things I do but taking them to my apartment greatly undermines this facade.
Are these girls potential relationships, or just a smash? Either way it shouldn't matter what your place looks like, just as long as you have a place, period. If she's just a smash, then if she has something bad to say about ur crib, kick her out. If the chick really cares about you, she won't care about how ur place looks, but she'll respect that fact that you have ur own.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM

151 posts, read 404,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
how old are you? If i was making 100K, i would have my own place. It does not have to be a luxury building but a regular walk-up. You could be living by yourself with your salary. There is no need for roommates. I was making 45K and i had my own place in Wash Heights.(not the greatest location but it was a start). I now live in UWS with a cousin. I want my salary to be 60K so i can move out on my own again.

You can find reasonably priced apts in lower Manhattan and trendy areas in BK with your salary. The max rent is 2222 with your salary.

Yeah but he's saving bookuuu dollars right now. Good for him.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Are these girls potential relationships, or just a smash? Either way it shouldn't matter what your place looks like, just as long as you have a place, period. If she's just a smash, then if she has something bad to say about ur crib, kick her out. If the chick really cares about you, she won't care about how ur place looks, but she'll respect that fact that you have ur own.
Totally agree !

Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
Yeah but he's saving bookuuu dollars right now. Good for him.
I am.

I'm willing to pay up to $1700 for rent + electricity and such. Even being here for a few years, I really can't rationalize paying more for what you actually get in the city.

So its attractive when I see my friends living in high rises with pools, gyms, views, amazing rooftops 60 stories up, courtyards 30 stories up, etc. But with four roommates, paying about $1200 each, all names on the lease. So with a little community people can get a lot more paying a lot less.

I'm a social person but roommates are just a gamble. And with most of the friends I was thinking about, there are some awkward situations they're in now.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Perceptive and good perspective!

I don't even have space for a couch here though

Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
I wouldn't change - the thing you are unhappy about would be far outweighed by the risk of losing what you enjoy now - lack of roommates, neighborhood, charm of a prewar, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: