Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
When they were originally built in the 1950s they were named the Fort Greene Houses. Later on, they were split up into Ingersoll and Whitman. They are not on Dekalb Avenue like a previous poster said. The boundaries are Myrtle Avenue to the south, Carlton Avenue to the east, Prince Street to the west, and Park Avenue/Tillary Street to the north.

I appreciate the background info . I'm too young to have known that lol. You learn something every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
When they were originally built in the 1950s they were named the Fort Greene Houses.
Im born and raised in Bushwick Projects though they technically are called Bushwick Houses, most projects are really named Houses.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Im born and raised in Bushwick Projects though they technically are called Bushwick Houses, most projects are really named Houses.
Thats not what I was referring to. I was referring to the original name, which was Fort Greene, and is now Ingersoll & Whitman. Forget about the houses and projects part.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Bushwick Houses are a different area from the Fort Greene Projects.

Basically, the area the OP is asking about is fine. It's going through a period of pretty rapid change and construction, and the places south and southeast of the area are as bougie as they come. It's fine. If you have the time and desire, volunteer for various programs at the Ingersoll projects just east of there. There's a library where you can sign up and it does make a difference and let you meet people in the neighborhood (both other volunteers and the people you help out). It's a good alternative to getting drunk on the weekends since you can do that later.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
lol. Why the unwarranted hostility? I was just correcting an error. And FYI, I was NYC born and raised, and have lived here all but the 4 years I went to high school on Long Island. I moved to Fort Greene in 2004, and lived in Manhattan prior to that.
Correcting an error isn't the issue. Commenting in a challenging fashion is an issue. Comming with your lame 8 GENTRIFIED years is a freaking INSULT compared to a lifetime. I have BLOOD on those streets. What do you have? I have ROOTS. TRADITIONS. What do you have?

YOU have live "HERE" "all but 4 years"! Yeah, where is "here"?

OMG! LMAO! IIIII went tooo school on LONG ISLAND!!! LMAO!

Take that sht and feed it to some Transplant. He/She might be impressed!

Here we go! Some wimpy Long Island SUBURBANITE trying to pass off as a NYer!! At best, YOU are the product of 'White Flight'! To a Brooklynite, bled and true, white flighters are the only thing lower than a Transplant!

I'm gonna stop; but your existence disgusts me. YOU "White Flight Transplanters" have destroyed my home TWICE!

Quote:
Your comment wasn't helpful in the least. Would you have preferred I didn't correct jcoltranes error and let the OP think that one of the most gentrified streets of Fort Greene has a massive housing project?
One of the streets does have a housing project on it!!

Quote:
And where did I mention I've been here 'PRE gentrification'? FYI back in 2004 you were able to find an apartment here for pretty cheap- fewer stores/restaurants, more of a diverse population both racially and socioeconomically. Hence my comment, 'before it started gentrifying full force'- which is true.
It isn't true! It isn't true, because YOUR knowledge and experience (as well as that of your whole generation) appears to have begun with the sunrise and ends with the sunset, as if nothing occurred before you woke up!

*knock* *knock* Yours is the THIRD wave of gentrification. Educate yourself. Oh, and what you think is cheap, appears so, only in comparison to what you know of *expensive!

Quote:
You cannot deny the fact that gentrification has absolutely taken off in this area, particularly in the last 5-6 years or so. I acknowledge that it was already gentrified to a degree, but it was nowhere near what its like today.
I can and do deny it! Because I was THERE before the beginning!!

Using your reference of 2004, I was there in 1994; I was there in 1984; and I was there in 1974!

High School on Long Island, I'm still laughing at that.

I remember half time at a basketball game, going up to the roof of Brooklyn Tech, and doing what high school boys will do, something to do with Cannibas, I don't remember. Busted by some teachers or security, don't know which, cause we weren't looking back. Escaping with our paranoia by *flying* down all EIGHT stories of massive Brooklyn Tech (I think it was 8), busting out the side gym doors, and haven't stopped running yet! LOL!

Me and my friends, a lifetime, spread from Seattle to Tampa, every time we get together, that story comes up, among dozens of others.

That's a little of who I am. Who are you? It's MY home! You don't even have a home Transplant! That's why you have to come and *steal* mine! Usurp and pretend as if you *know*....

Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamEntropy36 View Post
Yes my destination was the Brooklyn Flea so I walked that block from the subway to the Brooklyn Flea, then from the Brooklyn Flea I walked to Juniors Restaurant via Flatbush ave passing LI University. I walked to the Dekalb Market, which are those containers that have stores in them outside, but it was closed guessing due to the cold. I am of mixed race and my girlfriend is white so I'm comfortable with any races, I'm looking more for my age group which I'm thirty.
Back to the subject at hand.

I find it strange how so many of you seem fixated upon "age", rather than, style or class, or hipness. I wonder if it is, because you all come from suburbia? Where there is so much sameness, and age delianation is significant. As in there are "parents" and "kids", not much else. Among the "kids", I suppose there was young kids, old kids and in between kids. In other words, not very age diverse.

I suggest you all should seek out age diverse communities of peoples with commonality or something. You can hang with people 10 years older and or younger. That's how you grow and learn. Expand your minds and knowledge.

I wonder if it is this lack of age diversity, which causes your generation to be so limited in your knowledge of the past, the foundations of your present?

For example, why is it that your generation believes "gentrification" began with them; AND that *they* are actually *accomplishing* something, broadening horizons or something.

Of the entire generation, the only ones who can be construed to perhaps be accomplishing something are those who desparately have moved to Bed Sty, Bushwhich, and Harlem. Though, they aren't remotely comparable to the 'Urban Pioneers' of yesteryear, who did not move to dilapidated neighborhoods desparate for cheap rent, but rather out of CONVICTION! Those Urban Pioneers, without whom, none of your gentrified worlds would exist!!!

Anyway, if you're fixed on the age *grouping*, maybe Williamsburg or Greenpoint might be better. I can certainly vouch for Astoria, Queens. While not wholly gentrified, all the Transplants are in that age group. LOTS of very young couples w/o children!

Also, Hunter's Point w/b ideal for that post college proporous crowd. To my observation, a lot of kids from good schools.

Oh, jfyi, Clinton Hill, in and around Pratt U., has a slightly younger demo than Fort Greene. Tranportation isn't the best thougn.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 AM

65 posts, read 239,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Back to the subject at hand.

I find it strange how so many of you seem fixated upon "age", rather than, style or class, or hipness. I wonder if it is, because you all come from suburbia? Where there is so much sameness, and age delianation is significant. As in there are "parents" and "kids", not much else. Among the "kids", I suppose there was young kids, old kids and in between kids. In other words, not very age diverse.

I suggest you all should seek out age diverse communities of peoples with commonality or something. You can hang with people 10 years older and or younger. That's how you grow and learn. Expand your minds and knowledge.

I wonder if it is this lack of age diversity, which causes your generation to be so limited in your knowledge of the past, the foundations of your present?

For example, why is it that your generation believes "gentrification" began with them; AND that *they* are actually *accomplishing* something, broadening horizons or something.

Of the entire generation, the only ones who can be construed to perhaps be accomplishing something are those who desparately have moved to Bed Sty, Bushwhich, and Harlem. Though, they aren't remotely comparable to the 'Urban Pioneers' of yesteryear, who did not move to dilapidated neighborhoods desparate for cheap rent, but rather out of CONVICTION! Those Urban Pioneers, without whom, none of your gentrified worlds would exist!!!

Anyway, if you're fixed on the age *grouping*, maybe Williamsburg or Greenpoint might be better. I can certainly vouch for Astoria, Queens. While not wholly gentrified, all the Transplants are in that age group. LOTS of very young couples w/o children!

Also, Hunter's Point w/b ideal for that post college proporous crowd. To my observation, a lot of kids from good schools.

Oh, jfyi, Clinton Hill, in and around Pratt U., has a slightly younger demo than Fort Greene. Tranportation isn't the best thougn.
I only say age because I was raised in Miami, which has a huge elderly population so its always been hard to find neighborhoods here that are a younger age group except for south beach, which isnt my thing. Miami isnt suburbia it is pretty big, but lacks activities for my age group. So age isnt the deciding factor, but I want me and my girlfriend to be able to hangout with neighbors etc and have the same mindset. Firstly the vibe of the neighborhood is key, but I've been staying in the Upper West Side and being around 40 somethings pushing strollers and walking dogs all day isn't what I was interested in.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I have BLOOD on those streets.
Meaning you got shot and literally bled out in the street like Fitty?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
stop beefing with long island.
brooklyn's on that island.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM

65 posts, read 239,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
stop beefing with long island.
brooklyn's on that island.
Beefing always throws the thread out of wack I wish they would direct message each other instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City