Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 AM

30 posts, read 43,272 times

Advertisements

I only stay because of the PIZZA. I just can't stand the way Pizza tastes in any other city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM

162 posts, read 458,405 times
The convenience of almost everything you need just a few blocks away (generally speaking): stores, markets, laundromats, etc.

Having lived in several different cities in the States, NYC has the best, most expansive mass transit system here. Much more reliable than any I've ridden.

The variety of people, cuisine, nightlife...I truly think there is something for everyone here. The feeling and vibe I get from being in the city is like nothing I've ever felt anywhere else. So many people, so many things to do and see, so much history in the different neighbourhoods. But I do know that every city has its down sides.

Even though I moved away for work, I know I'll end up back in NYC to live out the rest of my days.

Damn, now I want a slice.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Most of the posters are missing the point. Some brush on it when talking about Wall Street, but then go off an tangents.

The reason it's worthing paying what it costs to live here, is because, if you have the talent, skill, and drive (or at least think you do), it's the best place to make the most money. It's the center of several national and global industries, and if you want to break into them, and then ride that breakthrough, this is the best place to do it. If you do, you'll make more than enough money to stay and thrive. If not, you'll struggle and either muddle through orl slink off somewhere else.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
I had lived in NYC for over a quarter of my life, so my heart will always be there. Hands down, it is the place to be for entertainment and vibrancy. I'm glad to have spent my earlier years there. However, I'm so over it now and have moved on. The quality of life I have now is second to none and my dollar goes a lot farther. That makes for less stress. I have far more retail options than ever before and peace and quiet. This is all good for my family's life. The get the equivalent in Westchester County or NJ would have cost an arm and a leg. There's a reason why my neck of the woods is getting such an influx of NYers and other northeasterners. Unfortunately this means that prices have spiked, but it is what it is.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I had lived in NYC for over a quarter of my life, so my heart will always be there. Hands down, it is the place to be for entertainment and vibrancy. I'm glad to have spent my earlier years there. However, I'm so over it now and have moved on. The quality of life I have now is second to none and my dollar goes a lot farther. That makes for less stress. I have far more retail options than ever before and peace and quiet. This is all good for my family's life. The get the equivalent in Westchester County or NJ would have cost an arm and a leg. There's a reason why my neck of the woods is getting such an influx of NYers and other northeasterners. Unfortunately this means that prices have spiked, but it is what it is.
Truth right here

Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,429 times
Born and raised here. I honestly do like it here. I like the variety and convenience of everything.

BUT the cost of living is killing me! Everyone mentions the higher salaries here and I really don't think thats always the case. Anyway if things don't improve in a few years I may have to relocate.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
Born and raised here. I honestly do like it here. I like the variety and convenience of everything.

BUT the cost of living is killing me! Everyone mentions the higher salaries here and I really don't think thats always the case. Anyway if things don't improve in a few years I may have to relocate.
You relocate lower salary, but lower costs

Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 AM

681 posts, read 1,670,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm planning to leave NYC for TX as well this year. Hopefully it works out!

Glad to hear you made your escape!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Yeah, that's one of the reasons they're still building in placing like Virginia to accommodate their own Northern transplants. So many people from these parts are fleeing the city for a life where they don't feel like they're getting mugged by their landlord.

On the other hand, there's also a great surge of people who keep moving here as well and of course there are those New Yorkers who are doing well.

New York is pretty much a melting pot of extremes.
Virginia landlords will mug you too though. They're just a lot nicer about it; Southern Hospitality.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 PM

24 posts, read 45,242 times
NYC is worth the expense because.....

...some of the best restaurants in the world are here
...you can get anything you want at any hour of the day or night
...you get paid a NY salary making it seem dirt cheap to vacation wherever you want
...you can ride the subway with a multi-millionaire on your right and a bus-boy on your left
...you'll never worry about finding a designated driver again
...in many fields, the brightest and most talented work here, elevating your skills
...there is always something happening
...it has awesome sporting events, theater, music, museums, art galleries, performance art, and new forms of culture are invented here every day
...the fast pace means you get to "live" twice as much "life" as slower cities
...the dating scene is great at any age
...you see your family and friends frequently because everyone wants to visit you
...you're exposed to a vast range of international people and culture
...it's a place where anything is possible
...damn it, it's just FUN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City