Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM

76 posts, read 206,554 times

Advertisements

Im still deciding if I should make the move to Manhattan for work. I live close to Manhattan (JC,Hoboken area), but I dont want to live at home. Work begins in July so I am considering doing a sublet from July until the end of August so I can get a feel about how living in Manhattan is like.

The problem is, if I want to continue to live there, I need to go find a place again and pay the broker fee and all of that.

Im considering finding a sublet for around $1400-$1500 a month so it'll be around $3,000 for the summer.

Are there any extra fees associated with subletting that I am not aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I think subletting would be an excellent choice for you. Most of the time, there would be no broker fee involved. When I sublet my place, I charged the actual rent and asked for a security deposit, which is customary. I asked my sublettor to pay all three months in advance, but when he couldn't, I let him pay more slowly because I trusted that he would. In the end, he was trustworthy and did pay, but I would never allow that if I ever sublet again in the future because I have read too many horror stories.

You might have to pay a flat fee up front for utilities. Make sure you ask about all utility charges as these can vary widely from apartment to apartment. Some places might have things like a weekly cleaning service that you would have to pay for as well.

Just read the ads carefully and make sure you ask questions. And read up about how not to get scammed. If you have any friends who are in grad school in NY, ask them if they can access the electronic housing boards at their universities to check for sublets for you.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Prices of apts go up starting around may. Best time for cheaper rents would be now till April/May and also Oct/Nov.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM

are there any negatives about subletting?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica12 View Post
are there any negatives about subletting?
A few

1. Not every landlord allows subletting despite what a subletter says. Maybe to have a meeting or phone call with the landlord to get something in writing or view the lease,etc

2. Since not dealing with landlord, the price you pay could be way different then what its really worth?

3. If subletted illegally and something happens landlord can have you arrested for trespassing among other things.

These are potentials of the worst case scenarios but have happened and in my office we have a few stories.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Would it be possible to find a sublet in May looking for a July move in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City