Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 183,604 times

Advertisements

Hi all. So I recently just graduated and got a job offer in Manhattan. I'm looking to move into Brooklyn for an easy commute and more space. I dont know much about the borough so I'm looking to see if I can get some information about what areas are best to move to.

Some basic criteria:

-I'm going to be living on my own, so preferably looking for a 1 bdrm. Not sure what rent is like in brooklyn but I'd be willing to pay in the 1000-1200 range if its a nice place.
-I'll be taking the train everyday to work so I'd like to be near the 4/5 train. N/R or F/M trains can also take me there.
-I have a car so what's parking like in Brooklyn? I wont be driving to work everyday but I'd still like to have my car with me.
-I'm a male in my early 20s and I'm single. So obviously I'd like to be living in a very social (and safe!) area with a lot of young people where I can make friends and meet girls. An area with lots of bars and restaurants near by would be nice

If you guys can let me know some areas of Brooklyn where I should start looking based on these criteria, I would REALLY appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
how much will you be making? That's the determining factor on whether the apartment management companies will let you pay that 1000-1200 a month. Parking if you are not parking in the street all the time is also very expensive.

From the sounds of what you are looking for though, you will probably need to get a roommate.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,903,909 times
You need to either adjust your criteria or increase your budget to get what you are looking for.

A nice 1br apt in a safe Brooklyn neighborhood with bars, restaurants and young people to meet will not cost you $1,200. It will be much more. I say almost double.

Parking in Brooklyn for the most part is a royal PITA. You will need to rent a garage (for about 100-300 monthly) or deal with alternate side parking regulations and the hassle of finding a spot.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
"I'd be willing to pay in the 1000-1200 range if its a nice place."

This sounds like you think you would be splurging for something really nice by paying 1000-1200. 1200 is the rock bottom of the market for 1BRs in Brooklyn and 1000 basically doesn't exist.

A "nice" 1BR in "a very social (and safe!) area with a lot of young people" will be at least 2000.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 183,604 times
Well I guess that shows I dont really know much about apts in NY lol

Another place I've been looking into is Astoria in Queens, which I've heard good things about. Would that be a better choice?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
If you drop the hip/social aspect, there are 1BR's available in the Bensonhurst/Gravesend section of Brooklyn. The commute is a little longer but it is not terrible. Far from trendy but the area is quite safe.
I live in Gravesend, roughly between Kings Highway and Ave U, and can walk to both the N and F lines. $1200 for a 1BR should be fine over here.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
You MIGHT get a 1BR or more likely a studio in Astoria for 1200, but it would probably not be very nice and be far from the train and the livelier streets. Astoria's a great neighborhood, though, and does have a lot of social young people.

I suspect you'd be happier getting a roommate, since then you could live anywhere in Brooklyn--Williamsburg, Park Slope, etc. It sounds like those are the kind of place you're looking for.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:52 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,479 times
Also as stressed numerous times on here, while you might think you can afford 1000-1200, you might not. Too many people don't realize how small their checks will be after taxes. This is why most landlords have the 40x rule or you must make 40x the rent. Because NYC eats 28-30% of your paycheck in taxes.

So in order to afford 1000-1200, you must be making at least 40K-48K. If you're not, then divide your salary by 40 and that's what you can afford.

Like others said, you can't find hip, close to bars, restaurants, safe and within that range in Brooklyn. Maybe in Bay Ridge, but it's a long shot, and then you're looking at an over hour commute into Manhattan.

Astoria is generally $1400 and up for a 1BR or studio.

Maybe look into Jersey City. I have a co-worker who found something in that range there.

Parking is a pain in most places, especially with alternate side parking. Considering you would only end up using the car on weekends, I would say ditch the car. Insurance and parking is insanely expensive here, and given your rent range, I'm guessing it's going to become a cost you can't afford or will be hard to pull off.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
First, you need to get a realistic idea of NYC's cost of living. You are in for a rude awakening.

Second thing, you need to work out a budget!!

Keeping a car is a MAJOR effort in NYC!

You need to figure whether you can afford to keep your car. Call your insurer and find out what insurance will costs. Then you need to figure where you are going to park it. Most apts do NOT have parking, and certainly not in your budget range.

There are numerous threads in this forum which cover those topics, as well as differing neighborhoods for varying budgets. Anything "nice" will likely exceed what you can afford.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
If you are thinking of Brooklyn, you can easily get a decent place in Bay Ridge for $1,000-$1,200. It's even easier to stay in that price range if you get a studio, which could be decently-sized. It would be harder to get a one bedroom in that range but it is possible though difficult. It's along the R line and there are lots of bars/restaurants. It is VERY safe. The only downside is that your trip would be a little longer into the city, which may or may not be a big deal to you.

Most places do not have parking but you can park on the street. It will be a PITA, especially in certain areas, but it is doable. The only thing that is a pain is keeping up with alternate side. If you come home late via car, depending on where you are it might be nearly impossible to get a spot.

Like someone mentioned above, Gravesend/Bensonhurst, perhaps even Sheepshead Bay, are doable in that price range also. There are shopping avenues but there aren't tons of options for "hanging out." Parking wouldn't really be any better there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City