Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times

Advertisements

Last week I walk up to the securtiy guard at the Fordham Gate and asked if I could walk around. She let me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
You cant get into those bars in Little Italy. You need Fordham U. college ID.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
You cant get into those bars in Little Italy. You need Fordham U. college ID.
There are Fordham exclusive bars in Little Italy?

Thanks for the detailed post, bufu. Did you guys hang out with the Lehman College people much at all or was it fairly separate? It seems like if a bunch of people are going south towards Belmont from Fordham, then there wouldn't be much of a connection between the two save for the Jolly Tinker's you mentioned. I was more thinking that if students from both schools were living in Bedford Park, then it'd make a lot more sense for there to be bougier stuff. I'm guessing there's nothing like St. Mark's Place in Manhattan or Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, eh?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
I've heard that about those bars as well, but I would imagine they only do that at night when they get their big Fordham U crowd. I don't think they would stop you from going in when it's not busy. I've been wanting to check out Howl at the Moon but haven't bothered because I keep hearing it's just a dive bar for the students.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 PM

170 posts, read 311,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I've heard that about those bars as well, but I would imagine they only do that at night when they get their big Fordham U crowd. I don't think they would stop you from going in when it's not busy. I've been wanting to check out Howl at the Moon but haven't bothered because I keep hearing it's just a dive bar for the students.
You can go into Howl for food earlier in the day and the same goes for Michaelangelos, but that is it. There are four bars within 100 feet of each other Mugz's, Howl, Ziggy's, and Michaelangelos and when they only serving drinks they are strictly Fordham U student/their guests bars.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:28 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Ditto here. The Uni and the surrounding area isn't integrated at all.

It's a little weird because you'd think that there would be way more students in the surrounding area considering Fordham has 7k students at Rose Hill.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:43 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Ditto here. The Uni and the surrounding area isn't integrated at all.

It's a little weird because you'd think that there would be way more students in the surrounding area considering Fordham has 7k students at Rose Hill.
Yea, and a 20 minute walk away is Lehman College with 12K students. So that's edging towards 20K students with a neighborhood (Bedford Park) wedged between the two campuses and a number of high schools in the vicinity. You would think that there'd be some kind of college town sort of thing going on.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:49 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and a 20 minute walk away is Lehman College with 12K students. So that's edging towards 20K students with a neighborhood (Bedford Park) wedged between the two campuses and a number of high schools in the vicinity. You would think that there'd be some kind of college town sort of thing going on.
Lehman is a commuter school so I can see why its students wouldn't hang around much.

I barely ever see students on the B/D or the 4 even going into the city. Do most just take Metro-North? It's really has been a mystery for me since I've lived up here for the past 11 months. Where are all the students?

Old 03-27-2016, 03:39 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
Quote:
Lehman is a commuter school so I can see why its students wouldn't hang around much.

I barely ever see students on the B/D or the 4 even going into the city. Do most just take Metro-North? It's really has been a mystery for me since I've lived up here for the past 11 months. Where are all the students?
I see Fordham students on the Metro North. There is also a van that shuttles students and faculty between Fordham and Lincoln Center. That said, I always see Fordham students on Bedford Park Blvd and Fordham Road in spite of the university not really supporting students visiting the surrounding area except for Belmont.

As for Lehman, it's not a hang out school. All students take public transit or drive.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:22 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:

If you take the subway, I'm sure you see Lehman students all the time (but perhaps don't realize they're students). You get more of a mix of ages for the CUNYs, so not necessarily the 18-22 demographic you may expect. I know several people in their 40s taking classes there now, and have a tenant in his late 20s (maybe early 30s) in a program there. We also had tenants that were typical college age Lehman students by the way.

Fordham students in Little Italy are very easy to pick out--"college age white kids" for the most part. My guess is that Lehman students blend with the surrounding demographic of Bedford Park much more.

As for high school students on the subways - there are lots of them at a certain time, but maybe that is not the time you commute? There is also a private bus service available for the specialized high schools, so not all the students will take public transit. I wonder if Lehman has some type of bus system as well--like Fordham? There will also be college students who drive and HS students who get dropped off by their parents I assume.

Last edited by yodel; 03-27-2016 at 05:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City