Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 74,336 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a college sophomore and I'm deciding whether I should major in accounting or not. I've spent a year taking science classes and realized science is probably not my strength.

Is accounting a good fit for me? I know nothing of the business world or any kind of money-related knowledge yet. But I am very hardworking and have very good work ethics. I always study and tend to pay attention to detail. I like doing jobs where it's more objective rather than subjective. I like working with numbers and crunching numbers because it's pretty straightforward.

I feel like being an accountant could be an appropriate fit for me but I'm not sure if I'd be able to succeed at it because I have no prior knowledge of the business and financial field. I also don't know if I'd have the right personality or interview skills to get an accounting job.

I hear it's a VERY difficult process to become an accountant, especially when taking the CPA exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,804,559 times
Know nothing about it? Well isn't that why you would study it in the first place so you can learn the discipline?

From what I remember about my accounting courses, it requires understanding of the (many) rules, knowing when to apply these rules and doing analysis.

The math part is very easy. Just simple operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication.

Studying accounting and practicing it professionally is very tedious, especially at the entry level. But it's not rocket science so you can learn it through perseverance.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,591,686 times
Why are you starting another thread when you already have this one?
Should I major in accounting if all I want is a stable lucrative job?

And as someone in accounting for 20 years, please please please do NOT go into this field if you do not have the desire or aptitude for it. I have lost count of how many times I have come into a company and had to fix the prior person's mistakes. If you are not a perfectionist, detail oriented, good at math or want to stare at numbers and crunch figures until your eyes bleed, find another field to go into.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,804,559 times
If he is a science major, then he has the math skills to build on. Accounting requires a lot of effort and tolerance for detail, but it's not very abstract.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,549,868 times
I'm not sure the NYC forum is the right place for this question.

I double-majored with accounting and another field. I don't use the knowledge as an accountant but the background was very helpful for me.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,648,459 times
Your school should have a placement office. Have them arrange a job shadow for you.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM

9 posts, read 74,336 times
Do I need to get an accounting degree from an accredited school? The school I currently attend isn't on the AACSB list so I'm not sure it it's accredited or not

Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,885,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynonsense View Post
Do I need to get an accounting degree from an accredited school? The school I currently attend isn't on the AACSB list so I'm not sure it it's accredited or not
1)Why are you starting a new thread on the same subject?
2)Have you asked these questions to your school counselor?
3)Do you know how to use 'The Google' ?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,223,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
1)
3)Do you know how to use 'The Google' ?
Every other thread on this board makes me wonder this.

I don't know if kids today are incompetent, or just lazy, or maybe it's just the "done thing" to ask strangers for help like this.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,703,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Every other thread on this board makes me wonder this.

I don't know if kids today are incompetent, or just lazy, or maybe it's just the "done thing" to ask strangers for help like this.
it's the parents that are making them incompetent and lazy. Parents now have to cradle their children under their wing until they are 18 because other wise they are considered unfit parents by today's social standards. "You just spanked your kid! That's child abuse! Call the authorities!" Schools are also lacking. High school is where you really learn how to be Not incompetent and not lazy. But now you can be lazy and incompetent and still get a 4.0 in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: