Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,215 times

Advertisements

I live on West 233rd Street I've always considered this part of the Bronx to be Riverdale even though its not (its techically Kingsbridge). I say it is because a lot of the stores around here say Riverdale on them. I wanted to know why do stores and places say "Riverdale Parking" or "Riverdale Deli" or "Riverdale Diner" if it isn't really Riverdale??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I live on West 233rd Street I've always considered this part of the Bronx to be Riverdale even though its not (its techically Kingsbridge). I say it is because a lot of the stores around here say Riverdale on them. I wanted to know why do stores and places say "Riverdale Parking" or "Riverdale Deli" or "Riverdale Diner" if it isn't really Riverdale??
Probably for the same you and all the sleazy real estate brokers consider it to be Riverdale.Or the same reason why they claim that East 106th St is the Upper East Side.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,446 times
Probably b/c it's easy to remember and identify.

Riverdale = Northwest Bronx, for most folks.

Although, don't tell people that live in Riverdale that they're in the Bronx. A number of them seem to frown on that fact.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
ask them.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
The funniest of all of them is Target of Riverdale, when it's Marble Hill, and a distance from Riverdale, proper. It's an issue when discussing schools, which is a problem when the borders of Riverdale are shifted. Riverdale is already a large area: South Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil, Central Riverdale, North Riverdale, Fieldston, West of Parkway, that people tend to amalgamate nearby areas. It's also confusing since part of the northern reaches of Riverdale touches Broadway but in the southern confines of the neighborhood, it's removed from Broadway by Marble Hill and Kingsbridge.

Lately, I have heard people (politicans) attempting to rebrand Kingsbridge as an extension of Riverdale as Riverdale-Kingsbridge or Kingsbridge-Riverdale. This started with the redevelopment plans on Broadway and the new buildings on 231st and Corlear. It may work for marketing hype, but is misleading, affixing a Riverdale moniker to areas not within the neighborhood. It's the exact same thing that is done with the UES where new buildings are marketed as such, when they are in East Harlem, or the Upper Upper East Side name, which is laughable.

Businesses use the name to lend an air of affluence to the name, basically a marketing purpose, not unlike real estate agents. Now, it seems politicians are engaged in the same behavior.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Probably for the same you and all the sleazy real estate brokers consider it to be Riverdale.Or the same reason why they claim that East 106th St is the Upper East Side.
I call it Riverdale because thats what people label it as lol. Van Courtlandt is within walking distance and when you get there it feels like a completely different area. Maybe one day this part will become an extension of Riverdale since its becoming more and more gentrified.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Probably b/c it's easy to remember and identify.

Riverdale = Northwest Bronx, for most folks.

Although, don't tell people that live in Riverdale that they're in the Bronx. A number of them seem to frown on that fact.
My friends think I lived in Riverdale lol. They have this impression that I made it out the hood lol. When really it's still pretty urban only difference is im in an area that is barely crime reddened. I use to live in Kingsbridge Heights but most of my friends live in Fordham & Highbridge. So I could understand why they believe that lol.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Once a girl i used to work with her dad was in a nursing home in Kingsbridge which she also called "Riverdale" (the one that used to be on W 231 street and Tibbett). one day out of desperation she asked to borrow my car so she could bring her father home from the Nursing home to his house in "RIverdale". I lent her my car and there was no problem but i later learned his house in "Riverdale" was actually W. Gun Hill Rd. Go figure...

Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
to those who rarely if ever come to the W side of the Bronx , Kingsbridge, the Heights, Marble Hill, Van Cortlandt Village are all "Riverdale" to them.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
to those who rarely if ever come to the W side of the Bronx , Kingsbridge, the Heights, Marble Hill, Van Cortlandt Village are all "Riverdale" to them.
I can understand Van Cortlandt Village & Kingsbridge (Neighborhood) , Marble Hill is a stretch, but if someone told me they thought The heights is Riverdale ill give them a very strange look lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City