Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times

Advertisements

what's the big deal? it doesn't matter anyway.
the only thing the laws do is prevent law abiding
people from getting guns, but never the lawbreakers.
if you're that hard up about it, you can get it at a
gunshow or off the streets and you don't even have
to register it. everybody knows that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
I really don't understand why you pro-gun people aren't content in staying in your pro-gun states and keep coming to the New York City forum to open a new thread like this every week. You realize NYC isn't an outlier here in terms of strict gun laws for a major city. NYC has much more in common with the major cities in Europe and Asia than any other city in the US besides perhaps Chicago. If you look at these other major cities, they also have strict gun laws like here. It's just common sense. When you live in such close proximity, everyone owning a gun is just not safe. Not even counting the potential for a harmless fight turning into a gun battle, can you just imagine the risks from accidental discharge? Yes, like any other major city, we have muggings and other crimes. Giving everyone a gun won't solve that problem. Also this idea that the Japanese didn't invade us in WWII because we have guns. Perhaps we can save a ton of money, disband our military and just issue every civilian a gun?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM

681 posts, read 1,671,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Something involving law enforcement, no sense denying it. I totally believe in the 2nd Amendment, but cannot fathom the free-for-all NRA stance on the issue. Their interpretation does not work in urban areas, and some of the various policies of the various states bleed over into other states. There's plenty that can be done to shore up the rights of law-abiding gun owners while at the same time inconveniencing the criminals as much as possible.

I agree with you...as most cops and law enforcement I have come across are pretty understanding of this matter.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
I will never, ever forget Charleton Heston, literally days after 12 kids were murdered in Columbine, screeching about his right to bear arms and his guns and how they weren't going to move their NRA meeting (the meeting was a few miles away and many of the parents protested the location). One of the most breathtakingly callous displays of gun nut insanity I've ever seen. There is something about the prospect of losing their toys that just sets them off. Watch Piers Morgan's recent interview with Alex Jones--that guy is unbelievable, absolutely insane. If you actually think there is a place for assault weapons in a civilized society, there is something wrong with you.
I for one have no issues with sane and law abiding citizens owning military style rifles. I have grown up around them, used them for plinking and target practice and have never had an issue or any problems with law enforcement ever.

So I guess there is something wrong with me then huh?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
In TX - a young lady was stalked by a professional boxer. He broke into her house. She shot him with a Glock. He had previous convictions for raping a child. I suppose she would be better off being raped and put to sleep by his fists.

In NYC, Kitty Genovese died as folks did little. In Mississippi - a crazed ex attacked a woman. Stabbed her repeatedly and dosed her with gasoline to burn her alive. A licensed gun carrier saved her.

I supposed Mayor Bloomberg if passing by (without his guards) in that situation would have:

1. Called the fire department to put her out.
2. Charged in with his tiny fists flailing away.
3. Thrown a big gulp at him.

NYC - you don't have the freedom to defend yourself with the prove most efficacious means.

It's that simple.

BTW, it's freedom to post here. Having grown up in the city and then living elsewhere - I decided to share a perspective that those who only a local view don't have. Mikey will fail in his grand plans to curb soda, guns, and feeding babies formula because despite his wealth - he is creature of Manhattan and lacks the cultural insight to the rest of the country. He cannot accept that people want to defend themselves, rather than wait for the NYPD to come and take a report. Been there on that. They ever catch the muggers? Nope.

Feel free to share TX experiences if you visit. Bring some deli.

Well said, we see eye to eye....

But in all fairness, everyone is titled to their opinion even if it differs from ours.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Well said, we see eye to eye....

But in all fairness, everyone is titled to their opinion even if it differs from ours.
Amen. The 1st Amendment came before the 2nd in the minds of our founding fathers.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I for one have no issues with sane and law abiding citizens owning military style rifles. I have grown up around them, used them for plinking and target practice and have never had an issue or any problems with law enforcement ever.

So I guess there is something wrong with me then huh?
But isn't this really the issue here? This attitude that "what works for me must work for everyone else". Which makes it hard for you to fathom why everyone isn't doing things your way. May I hazard a guess that you feel the same about religion and sexual preference? There is only one correct way and that is your way, everyone else be damned? I was in the army for four years and I fired a lot of weapons. I actually like guns and if I moved to a state that allows easier access, I would probably buy one. But even then, I won't try to impose my views on those who choose to have stricter gun laws.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
But isn't this really the issue here? This attitude that "what works for me must work for everyone else". Which makes it hard for you to fathom why everyone isn't doing things your way. May I hazard a guess that you feel the same about religion and sexual preference? There is only one correct way and that is your way, everyone else be damned? I was in the army for four years and I fired a lot of weapons. I actually like guns and if I moved to a state that allows easier access, I would probably buy one. But even then, I won't try to impose my views on those who choose to have stricter gun laws.
No at all. I wouldn't want criminals or mentally I'll people with weapons either. And if I came across as if it works for me, should work for everyone else mentality, then my apologies. I didn't mean to imply that. In the very same sense I wouldn't want someone who hates firearms to come and tell me and expect everyone else to give up our 2 amendment rights.

As for religion and sexual preference, I have my views and wouldn't mind expressing it face to face with someone, but I won't impose it on someone else though, don't get me wrong. Everyone is entitled to make their own decisions and live with those consequences

Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I really don't understand why you pro-gun people aren't content in staying in your pro-gun states and keep coming to the New York City forum to open a new thread like this every week. You realize NYC isn't an outlier here in terms of strict gun laws for a major city. NYC has much more in common with the major cities in Europe and Asia than any other city in the US besides perhaps Chicago. If you look at these other major cities, they also have strict gun laws like here. It's just common sense. When you live in such close proximity, everyone owning a gun is just not safe. Not even counting the potential for a harmless fight turning into a gun battle, can you just imagine the risks from accidental discharge? Yes, like any other major city, we have muggings and other crimes. Giving everyone a gun won't solve that problem. Also this idea that the Japanese didn't invade us in WWII because we have guns. Perhaps we can save a ton of money, disband our military and just issue every civilian a gun?
Thanks for this sane post.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
NYC - you don't have the freedom to defend yourself with the prove most efficacious means.

It's that simple.

BTW, it's freedom to post here. Having grown up in the city and then living elsewhere - I decided to share a perspective that those who only a local view don't have.
You must not have lived here long enough to be of age to own guns, because nearly any person who so desires and has a clean record can apply for or get a premise permit to have a firearm in their home.

FYI, since you seem to only respect the opinions of those who haven't lived in NY their whole lives, I was born in NC, I lived in Colorado for 4 years, Arizona for almost a year, and quite a few other states for various periods of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City