Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 AM

106,244 posts, read 108,257,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've seen you mention this before. If you're talking about hunting with longarms, it's a moot point. Anyone with a valid hunting license in NY can be in possession of a long gun while hunting. You don't need a gun permit at all.

I still can't see what the other guy's issue is. Doesn't live here, doesn't have to follow the rules here, hasn't had anyone agree with him... It's horn-tooting and it's pointless.
handgun hunting is what im talking about. it has the potential of being a very slippery area. the residence permit comes with a permission slip stapled to it if you request a hunting and range authorization.

the police commissioner signs it and says you can go hunting and to an authorized nyc range with this permit.

problem is state law has no provisions for that permit to be off premise to hunt or even unlimited range use .

if you remember back to the old target hunting permit nyc had that was actually a carry permit that was restricted to target and hunting by your request.

there is no such permit in state law as a target hunting permit .

you had to check a box on the application that said you wanted it for target shooting and hunting, if you did not check it you got nothing.

so pretty much you got a restricted carry permit.

well in the eyes of the state that was a carry permit. everyone used to carry and if you got caught it was not a crime. it was an administrative violation for mis-use and worst case was they pulled your permit.

that is the thing most people miss, we had more then 30,000 citizens in nyc carrying guns with that permit only no one knew it because technically you were not supposed to be..

the guy sitting next to you on the train may have been armed. no one went around like the wild west shooting each other. there were very few incidents even though so many carryed .

so nyc changed to a residence permit which did have criminal penalies attached if you got caught carrying.

the issue now was state law said you can not be off premise except once a month to go to a range providing you got written authorization in advance from nypd. no hunting either.

so nypd's answer was a seperate permission slip attached to your license. the slip makes you licence valid for hunting and going to a nyc approved range and invalid for anything else. GOTCHA!

the fact is that slip is really invalid out of the city.

the rest of the state can follow state law and challenge you for being in their jurisdiction with a premise permit. that slip means nothing outside of nyc.

so far no jurisdiction broke rank and hassled a nyc handgun hunter so although the validity of the permit has been challenged in court it had been dismissed since no one can say that they had an issue with it outside the city.

the advantage of the residence permit is that unlike the target hunting permit which required the handgun to be locked and unloaded at home, the residence permit says it can be cocked ,locked and loaded at home.

the fly in the ointment is when you are not home it is expected to be unloaded and locked which can be a real pain in the butt . only when under your control can it be loaded.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-13-2013 at 03:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 AM

18,953 posts, read 13,843,099 times
Hmm, I never realized the hassle involved if one was looking to handgun hunt (I personally never have). Although it has yet to be a problem, I can see your concern with the way they work around the state laws to still be within the boundaries of the 2nd Amendment, at least just barely.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 AM

even going to a range is an issue. technically we are not allowed out of nyc. nassau county range had no clue our permits were not actually valid there as they were not nyc approved so to speak.

more and more ranges are posting on their websites we are nyc approved like coyne range in yonkers. but the issue is really most ranges are not technically approved only no one on both sides knows it.

it has been about 15-20 years or so i think since we made the switch from target/hunting to residence permit but so far no issues have cropped up.

personally i think it is by design and nypd sent state wide notice to not open any cans of worms by challenging nyc permit holders outside city limits.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 AM

this is right from nypd's faq section

Can I go target shooting outside NYC?

A NYC carry business license is valid throughout NYS. Premise residence and premise business licenses are only valid in NYC except as indicated in the next section.

Return to top

Can I go hunting if I have a premises residence license?

You must obtain a hunting authorization from the License Division to hunt in an authorized area designated by the NYS Fish and Wildlife law. Your handgun must be transported unloaded, in a locked container and you must comply with all relevant NYS hunting regulations.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 AM

681 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is right from nypd's faq section

Can I go target shooting outside NYC?

A NYC carry business license is valid throughout NYS. Premise residence and premise business licenses are only valid in NYC except as indicated in the next section.

Return to top

Can I go hunting if I have a premises residence license?

You must obtain a hunting authorization from the License Division to hunt in an authorized area designated by the NYS Fish and Wildlife law. Your handgun must be transported unloaded, in a locked container and you must comply with all relevant NYS hunting regulations.
Too many onerous rules set up by the NYPD. How can legal NYC handgun owners enjoy target practice with our handguns without being afraid of violating even the slightest twist in the rule? Even these rules on the NYPD website aren't crystal clear.

My other issue is that gun ranges within NYC are very expensive to be members of. A one year membership at the West Side Pistol range for example can be up to $450/year...which is very expensive to me.

I honestly prefer shooting at an outdoor range like in Long Island for example, as I feel its healthier on my ears, and healthier in the sense that I don't have to breathe in all that soot and gunpowder from other shooters in the lane next to me, but NYC makes this impossible to do...

As for hunting in NYC boundaries, I don't know of any places to do so....so where do we go? If anyone knows let me know.

If I were to ever become mayor of NYC I would love to construct a nice outdoor range with a proper backstop in the middle of Central Park, one out by Floyd Bennet Field, one in Forest Park, Queens
and maybe one in the Bronx somewhere where its got a good amount of acreage..

Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM

681 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Hmm, I never realized the hassle involved if one was looking to handgun hunt (I personally never have). Although it has yet to be a problem, I can see your concern with the way they work around the state laws to still be within the boundaries of the 2nd Amendment, at least just barely.
Thanks for understanding why us legal gun owners in NYC are frustrated. Many people in our community are so frustrated that many of us have either bought property out of state, or are making plans to permanently move out of state. NYC/NY can have its draconian laws, we are gonna move somewhere else where our second amendment rights are more honored and respected.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Too many onerous rules set up by the NYPD. How can legal NYC handgun owners enjoy target practice with our handguns without being afraid of violating even the slightest twist in the rule? Even these rules on the NYPD website aren't crystal clear.

My other issue is that gun ranges within NYC are very expensive to be members of. A one year membership at the West Side Pistol range for example can be up to $450/year...which is very expensive to me.

I honestly prefer shooting at an outdoor range like in Long Island for example, as I feel its healthier on my ears, and healthier in the sense that I don't have to breathe in all that soot and gunpowder from other shooters in the lane next to me, but NYC makes this impossible to do...

As for hunting in NYC boundaries, I don't know of any places to do so....so where do we go? If anyone knows let me know.

If I were to ever become mayor of NYC I would love to construct a nice outdoor range with a proper backstop in the middle of Central Park, one out by Floyd Bennet Field, one in Forest Park, Queens
and maybe one in the Bronx somewhere where its got a good amount of acreage..
i go hunting in putnam county quite ofton. i also go one exit past roscoe to cooks falls .

Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Thanks for understanding why us legal gun owners in NYC are frustrated. Many people in our community are so frustrated that many of us have either bought property out of state, or are making plans to permanently move out of state. NYC/NY can have its draconian laws, we are gonna move somewhere else where our second amendment rights are more honored and respected.
i had a 2nd home in the poconos with a state range down the road. we can not leave ny state with our permits hense i could not even shoot there.

the long and short of it is that because our permits are invalid out of state even though pa requires no permit for target shooting the guns have to be legally held. being our permits are invalid it makes them not legally held.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM

18,953 posts, read 13,843,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i go hunting in putnam county quite ofton. i also go one exit past roscoe to cooks falls .
I hunt north of Deposit. Although there is much less pressure nowadays, hunting anywhere from Roscoe back towards the city is like being hunted yourself.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM

we had so much deer and bear right on our own property in pa. it was amazing how when your in the field you see nothing .

i had deer walk right up to me and watch me wash my truck.

turkeys would walk right up to the back door and peek in at me .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City