Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM

153 posts, read 287,982 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am coming to NYC in a week - for 3-4 days. I don't care about luxury hotels and what not, I just care that my bed is not filled with bugs - so with that being said, does anyone know any hotels that are cheap in Manhattan but not filled with bugs? Also, not in an area where I'll get mugged or something like that.

I am coming to NYC for the first time in my life and I could not be more excited - any help will be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
you can go to this website and type in the hotel that you pick and see if it has any reportings
Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Also, I would recommend priceline and name your own price. You can get a "luxury" hotel for cheap prices.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Even the well known hotels have bed bugs. It's hit or miss. The only benefit at a bigger hotel that is well known is they will probably do a better job at correcting the situation than a smaller less known hotel.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
You're coming to NYC shortly, and you're very excited - but not excited enough to have done research or looked at guidebooks to find a place to stay?

Check the statistics - you're not likely to get mugged if you behave sensibly.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM

153 posts, read 287,982 times
Thank you for all answers.

I found this one: Chelsea Inn

Single Guest Room is $79 a night. Is the location good? Again, I will only need a bed to sleep in cuz I intend to be out the entire day, every day I'll be there.

Edit: There is another hotel called "SoHotel" and it's $92 a night and this is the location: 341 BROOME ST. NEW YORK, NY 10013.

Which one do you recommend?

Last edited by Dexter94941; 01-11-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 08:22 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Not sure if the Chelsea Inn caters to a gay male clientele...it is, after all, in or near to the epicenter for young gay males. Their website did not indicate any gay lodging affiliations.

I'm gay, and thought this places rings a bell regarding gay lodging in NY I had researched, but I could be wrong.

The locals here could tell you if 17th Street is close to, or epicenter, for gay businesses. Can't recall.

I realize it probably doesn't matter to you at all, but just thought I'd bring it up.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter94941 View Post
Thank you for all answers.

I found this one: Chelsea Inn

Single Guest Room is $79 a night. Is the location good? Again, I will only need a bed to sleep in cuz I intend to be out the entire day, every day I'll be there.

Edit: There is another hotel called "SoHotel" and it's $92 a night and this is the location: 341 BROOME ST. NEW YORK, NY 10013.

Which one do you recommend?
The location of both of the hotels are fine. If you don't mind sharing a bathroom the Chelsea Inn is fine. Go with SoHotel if you want a private bath. Read the reviews because there is more to consider than bedbugs. For example, a friend of mine was visiting the city and decided to go cheap and got a room at the St Marks Hotel for less than $100/night. The place was clean but the pipes banged and he could hear the street noise (idling diesel truck engines, horns, sirens, people talking) all night long. It was as if he was sleeping on the sidewalk. Those things were mentioned in the reviews but he didn't read them.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
If you want Chelsea, there's a cute boutique hotel called THE GEM HOTEL at the corner of 22nd and Eighth, almost atop the subway. Last time I checked the rates were very reasonable and the lobby seemed clean, warm, and inviting. I got the strong feeling it was gay oriented so judge accordingly.

They have a 20% pre-pay discount and I checked a random queen sized room for 2 at $126.

http://www.thegemhotel.com/

If you stay there, give us a review.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
There's no way to tell in advance if hotels here have a bedbug problem. Even the nice ones are risky.

You must, repeat MUST use proper protocol if you desire to be totally confident of being bedbug free. This mainly involves sterilizing your luggage and clothes when you get home. If you don't own a Paktite (and what person who does not already have bugs does?) then you're better off sealing your luggage in a giant ziploc or garbage bag between trips. (Or, even better, keep it sealed up in the hotel room by bringing the bag with you).

Don't set your luggage on the floor or bed in the hotel room. Use the luggage stand. Hang clothes up instead of lying them on floor or furniture. Better yet, keep everything packed in airtight bags at all times.

Seems extreme? Try having bugs, and you'll realize that NO MEASURE IS TOO EXTREME.

---a multi year bug sufferer.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
There's no way to tell in advance if hotels here have a bedbug problem. Even the nice ones are risky.

You must, repeat MUST use proper protocol if you desire to be totally confident of being bedbug free. This mainly involves sterilizing your luggage and clothes when you get home. If you don't own a Paktite (and what person who does not already have bugs does?) then you're better off sealing your luggage in a giant ziploc or garbage bag between trips. (Or, even better, keep it sealed up in the hotel room by bringing the bag with you).

Don't set your luggage on the floor or bed in the hotel room. Use the luggage stand. Hang clothes up instead of lying them on floor or furniture. Better yet, keep everything packed in airtight bags at all times.

Seems extreme? Try having bugs, and you'll realize that NO MEASURE IS TOO EXTREME.

---a multi year bug sufferer.
Well, I am embarrassed to admit I bought a Packtite, even without having bedbugs. I had gotten so paranoid I would not even take books out of the library anymore, so the Packtite solves that problem. I also use it when I buy new bedding at any store, and when I return home from trips. I don't use it every day so I suppose I could get a bedbug crawling into my gym stuff when I store it in the locker and I wouldn't be protected, but I had to draw a line somewhere.

I also spent many hours reading up on the subject. Luckily I seem to have relaxed on the paranoia front so I am not up to date on the absolute most recent stuff, but I would suggest OP check out bedbugger.com and learning how to do a hotel room inspection by watching a video there.

How to search a room for bed bugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: