Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

With my luck they would disconnect us and show up for the box ha ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Trust me they won't. They'll schedule a guy to come out a week or more later. The next day or two you'll start getting calls. On the off chance that they don't start calling you, just call em back before the appt and cancel the cancellation. But that won't happen, I'm telling you.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you gotta tell them something like "money's tight and i'd rather sacrifice cable and other stuff". see post #10 (mine)

Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM

41 posts, read 53,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
WAIT: Fios is only less expensive the first-time around......then after that they hit you hard.
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but it is absolutely untrue. Let your intro deal expire and pay one month of slightly increased charges, and you will end up with a better deal than your intro package. That is the trick to FiOs.

To quote the OP: You're welcome.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
You could just do the following:

Borrow from your neighbor
Steal it
Go to coffee shops aka Starbucks (prefer Panera)
AT&T has an offer where you pay I think its $14-$20 a month for just internet

If you want to watch TV just get Netflix. Cable is ridiculous.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Also if your in NYC there are about 40 to 50 high definition digital TV channels FREE on the air.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomery Brewster II View Post
I found an easier way to lower it. I moved to LI and got FiOS
There's another way. I moved into Manhattan and got FIOS.

Quote:

WAIT: Fios is only less expensive the first-time around......then after that they hit you hard.
Only if you LET them. Everything is negotiable. Remember if you give them $100 a month for 10 years, you are worth $12,000 to them...they will make concessions to keep you.
Second time 'round I got an even BETTER deal than I got on first sign-up. (Perhpas it helped when I said that right next to their input line is hanging a Time Warner connection. It's always good to have a hammer to wield.)
In order to get what I got I had to convert to a 2 year contract...but for what I have at the price I have, I would GLADLY have signed a 20 year contract.

Yes, Mahattan OTA is quite good...I was amazed at the number of channels of HD I could get with an antenna in my window for the 6 weeks I had to wait for the FIOS installation.
But alas, we also need Intenet and phone.

One of the niceites of moving into Manhattan is FIOS and my building was wired WHILE I was negotiating to buy. At first I thought it was going to be Time Warner and then the surprise of FIOS.

Old neighbors with COMCAST in Jersey City are paying TWICE what I pay and they are getting far less.

So in summary: FIOS Triple Play is a complete delight for me.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
We were able to keep a discount on our internet (we got rid of cable a long time ago) for a long time before they took it off. We called multiple times about it. We started a new account when we moved so hopefully it'll be cheaper for a little while.

Most co-ops here are Time Warner only; however, they have been installing FiOS in my area and co-ops seem to be clamoring to get FiOS. We had FiOS representatives here for three or four days and people were talking to them non-stop. Within two days, I saw the guy already coming to do installations.

I know it's $80/month for all three now, but does anyone know what it goes up to after the two years are up?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
I don't have cable or Fios, but I'm curious, these people charge you to use a DVR or WiFi ?

If so, how much a month?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Just call them up and cancel. The lady/guy will try very hard to keep you, throwing you all kinds of discounts. Don't accept them and stick to your guns. I called up to cancel the cable portion of my bill with the full intention of only watching shows/movies streamed online and transferred over to the tv via some sort of media set up (there are a few ways to do this). I told her no thanks to her relatively weak offers and set up an appt for the guy to come pick up my box. The next day I started getting inundated with phone calls from a number I didn't recognize. I finally picked up today and it was some higher up. Long story short, he offered me a deal that is actually better than when I first signed up as a new customer. I think it's something like $72/month for cable/internet (including wifi)/DVR. I added HBO but he couldn't get a deal on it for me. Anyway, with taxes and all, my bill should be just about $90 compared to the $140+ I was paying before. And no new contract. Would be lower obviously with HBO. I'm gonna keep it at least through this season of Game of Thrones haha.

You're welcome...
Yeah this is gonna become more common as people wake up to the reality they can make the switch to one of the streaming services like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I'm just patiently waiting on my DirecTv contract to end. I actually think DirecTV is a good product but there are better prices out there and I only watch a small portion of the channels they offer. They gave me a really good price 1st year but jacked it up on me the second year.

Another thing is a lot of people don't realize there are High Def antennas out on the market that allow you to watch your local channels in better quality than what you get with Cable or satellite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City