U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
 
12,131 posts, read 22,890,230 times
Reputation: 9937

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Respectable opinion.

In some respects Forest Hills is a wannabe Suburban neighborhood. Too dense to be suburban yet lacking in some of the the urban amenities of TriBeCa or the Carnegie Hill for example. Not to mention it's subliminal attempt at exclusiveness in a city known for being a "melting pot".
Wannabe suburban is a pretty negative way of looking at it. The people who live in those houses have property, space, land, driveways and yet they are walking distance to the express subway and LIRR. When they want to see and be around people, they can just walk out to Austin Street and enjoy the hustle and bustle of city living or jump on the subway and be in Midtown in 30 minutes.

Not everyone wants the emptiness of the suburbs. I would not consider Forest Hills "wannabe" anything. Perhaps you didn't mean "wannabe" in such a derogatory way but that's the way I interpreted it. Plus, I suspect if the people who own that houses preferred to live elsewhere, they would simply sell their property for millions and move on.

As for "subliminal" attempts at exclusivity, what exactly is subliminal about it? Forest Hills Gardens was designed for the well-to-do from the time it was built. "Subliminal" means "below the threshold of consciousness" and it's clear that the intention for this community to be for the well-off was quite above the threshold of consciousness. The rest of Forest Hills is not exclusive like this. It's a melting pot and includes people of many different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Anytown, USA
681 posts, read 1,463,427 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Wannabe suburban is a pretty negative way of looking at it. The people who live in those houses have property, space, land, driveways and yet they are walking distance to the express subway and LIRR. When they want to see and be around people, they can just walk out to Austin Street and enjoy the hustle and bustle of city living or jump on the subway and be in Midtown in 30 minutes.

Not everyone wants the emptiness of the suburbs. I would not consider Forest Hills "wannabe" anything. Perhaps you didn't mean "wannabe" in such a derogatory way but that's the way I interpreted it. Plus, I suspect if the people who own that houses preferred to live elsewhere, they would simply sell their property for millions and move on.

As for "subliminal" attempts at exclusivity, what exactly is subliminal about it? Forest Hills Gardens was designed for the well-to-do from the time it was built. "Subliminal" means "below the threshold of consciousness" and it's clear that the intention for this community to be for the well-off was quite above the threshold of consciousness. The rest of Forest Hills is not exclusive like this. It's a melting pot and includes people of many different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
Agreed, I also wanted to ask at what price point does it make the neighborhood exclusive? Does a home or apartment have to have a million dollar price tag to be considered exclusive?

I'm curious what peoples thoughts are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
12,632 posts, read 5,380,832 times
Reputation: 7031
Nice looking neighborhood. I don't have to ask to know it's out of my price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,798 posts, read 21,205,850 times
Reputation: 6820
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I took a friend who recently moved to NYC a year ago (and lives on the UWS) through Forest Hills Gardens hoping to show her the beauty of the neighborhood and that there is more to NYC than Manhattan and as we were walking through she said, "This place is kinda cheesy." I said, "Really?" This is not the response I usually get when I do this "tour" so I was taken aback and didn't really press her on what she meant. She's crazy, right? Are there people that don't like Forest Hills Gardens?
Must be a pretty shallow and insecure person with a poor command of the English language.I can understand someone preferring to live in other parts of the city for a number of reasons but to use the word "cheesy" in describing FHG is just idiotic.It's the kind of thing someone would say when they feel insecure about their own choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM
 
2,400 posts, read 5,322,124 times
Reputation: 2905
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I took a friend who recently moved to NYC a year ago (and lives on the UWS) through Forest Hills Gardens hoping to show her the beauty of the neighborhood and that there is more to NYC than Manhattan and as we were walking through she said, "This place is kinda cheesy." I said, "Really?" This is not the response I usually get when I do this "tour" so I was taken aback and didn't really press her on what she meant. She's crazy, right? Are there people that don't like Forest Hills Gardens?
No she's not crazy. She's just a newly-arrived Upper West Side snob who would hate any suburban-looking neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
12,632 posts, read 5,380,832 times
Reputation: 7031
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Must be a pretty shallow and insecure person with a poor command of the English language.I can understand someone preferring to live in other parts of the city for a number of reasons but to use the word "cheesy" in describing FHG is just idiotic.It's the kind of thing someone would say when they feel insecure about their own choices.
"Ritzy", "classy", "upscale", "leafy", "pricey", "toney", etc. But definitely not "cheesy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,821,950 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Wannabe suburban is a pretty negative way of looking at it. The people who live in those houses have property, space, land, driveways and yet they are walking distance to the express subway and LIRR. When they want to see and be around people, they can just walk out to Austin Street and enjoy the hustle and bustle of city living or jump on the subway and be in Midtown in 30 minutes.

Not everyone wants the emptiness of the suburbs. I would not consider Forest Hills "wannabe" anything. Perhaps you didn't mean "wannabe" in such a derogatory way but that's the way I interpreted it. Plus, I suspect if the people who own that houses preferred to live elsewhere, they would simply sell their property for millions and move on.

As for "subliminal" attempts at exclusivity, what exactly is subliminal about it? Forest Hills Gardens was designed for the well-to-do from the time it was built. "Subliminal" means "below the threshold of consciousness" and it's clear that the intention for this community to be for the well-off was quite above the threshold of consciousness. The rest of Forest Hills is not exclusive like this. It's a melting pot and includes people of many different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
Didn't mean to offend but I tried to look at it from her point of view. I think Forest Hill is a nice neighborhood but a little too family oriented for my taste.

In fact that could explain the choice of "cheesy". Maybe the neighborhood screams family and affluence too much, not young and trendy.

I also understand it's urbanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Agreed, I also wanted to ask at what price point does it make the neighborhood exclusive? Does a home or apartment have to have a million dollar price tag to be considered exclusive?

I'm curious what peoples thoughts are?
Exactly what I meant by subliminal exclusiveness. I have also noticed the open street fences on at least one of the primary thoroughfares, which I cannot currently recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,798 posts, read 21,205,850 times
Reputation: 6820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I agree....the neighborhood is exclusive to people based on income and economic status. Private houses here go for 1.7 -$6 million dollars.
LOL,there are houses identical to the best of these in parts of Pelham Parkway,Pelham Gardens and Morris Park in The Bronx and they sell for around $600,000 here.The exclusivity of FHG is pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,821,950 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
LOL,there are houses identical to the best of these in parts of Pelham Parkway,Pelham Gardens and Morris Park in The Bronx and they sell for around $600,000 here.The exclusivity of FHG is pricey.
Very true, there are also tons of Tudor style apartment buildings located across the Bronx. Bronx Park East/Pelham Parkway having one of the largest concentrations in the city. Did they ever designate that area a landmark district yet, I know it was in the talks? For the apartment buildings at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: NYC
46,070 posts, read 44,602,703 times
Reputation: 14939
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
LOL,there are houses identical to the best of these in parts of Pelham Parkway,Pelham Gardens and Morris Park in The Bronx and they sell for around $600,000 here.The exclusivity of FHG is pricey.
Really? If so, you should post photos, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Must be a pretty shallow and insecure person with a poor command of the English language.I can understand someone preferring to live in other parts of the city for a number of reasons but to use the word "cheesy" in describing FHG is just idiotic.It's the kind of thing someone would say when they feel insecure about their own choices.
There's something a little bit cheesy about the fake Tudor style of the neighborhood. Still like it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top