U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,798 posts, read 21,205,850 times
Reputation: 6820

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Very true, there are also tons of Tudor style apartment buildings located across the Bronx. Bronx Park East/Pelham Parkway having one of the largest concentrations in the city. Did they ever designate that area a landmark district yet, I know it was in the talks? For the apartment buildings at least.
Seems like it is still in the works because they are nit picking over details of certain buildings as far as I know.Some landlords are fighting it too because they don't want their properties "designated."Stupid to not want that if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,821,950 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Really? If so, you should post photos, too!
An example of which:




Pelham Parkway Tudors/NY Times

BTW, that Fedders home is a CRIME!

I take it that Forest Hills is landmarked? What streets? Only Tudors? Which types of construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
22,627 posts, read 37,188,421 times
Reputation: 9810
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Seems like it is still in the works because they are nit picking over details of certain buildings as far as I know.Some landlords are fighting it too because they don't want their properties "designated."Stupid to not want that if you ask me.
Some people are against it because its more costly and time consuming to renovate the buildings, i.e. can only use certain window treatment or color of paint.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM
 
Location: In the heights
26,364 posts, read 26,282,433 times
Reputation: 14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
An example of which:




Pelham Parkway Tudors/NY Times

BTW, that Fedders home is a CRIME!

I take it that Forest Hills is landmarked? What streets? Only Tudors? Which types of construction?
When you said identical, I thought it was also in terms of larger SFHs and leafy, tree-lined roads and such instead of just Tudor-style buildings. Are there any neighborhoods in the Bronx that are a bit more identical? Agreed with you on the Fedders house there being a crime. Even some kind of odd modern construction would be better as a contrast, but that thing there just looks like a turd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
 
7,049 posts, read 10,060,426 times
Reputation: 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Didn't mean to offend but I tried to look at it from her point of view. I think Forest Hill is a nice neighborhood but a little too family oriented for my taste.

In fact that could explain the choice of "cheesy". Maybe the neighborhood screams family and affluence too much, not young and trendy.
Most families in FH live in the co-ops in the northern side of Queens Blvd. The residents who live in FHG are a minority who are trying to preserve/cling to a certain way of life dating back to the early 1900s when many parts of Queens were the homestead of the Long Island elite who owned or ran the agricultural properties in the east but traded the produce in Manhattan. That's the reason why you think it has a suburban feel, but the original intent wasn't supposed to be suburban at all (ie Levittown) since these developments pre-dated the era of suburban expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 PM
 
12,131 posts, read 22,890,230 times
Reputation: 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Didn't mean to offend but I tried to look at it from her point of view. I think Forest Hill is a nice neighborhood but a little too family oriented for my taste.

In fact that could explain the choice of "cheesy". Maybe the neighborhood screams family and affluence too much, not young and trendy.

I also understand it's urbanity.

Exactly what I meant by subliminal exclusiveness. I have also noticed the open street fences on at least one of the primary thoroughfares, which I cannot currently recall.
Well, I get that it could be too family oriented for some, but I still can't understand why that element would make something "cheesy"? Strange choice of words if what she really meant "too family oriented."

Oh, wait. Did the woman who used the word "cheesy" see the McMansions in Forest Hills? Now those are cheesy.

My Blog: McMansions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM
 
321 posts, read 518,696 times
Reputation: 578
Henna, she did not see the McMansions in Forest Hills but it's funny that you mention that because that is in fact what I responded back to her when she described the gardens as "cheesy." Now if she saw those monstrosities I would totally be on board with her description. My friend is from Woodstock (I've never been so I have no idea how her hometown colors her experiences) and I suspect like some of you have said that it's a mix of UWS snobiness along with the 'not urban but not suburban' feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
 
922 posts, read 2,021,185 times
Reputation: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Nice pics. #62 makes me think "Transylvania" though.
I thought pic #62 is kind creepy like insane asylum with dark torture chambers in the basement.
And pic #34 with the strange looking tree and shadowy wall have a feel of a haunted house too.
Yes...yes... probably just me reading too many crazy stories.

For the most part the other houses are beautiful and old in an elegant way. Thanks for all the
wonderful pics Nexis4Jersey. But I wonder if the Forest Hill Gardens people were freaking out
when you were in their neighborhood, because they might think of you as a burglar scouting
their houses and neighborhood.

Last edited by Jaydata; 01-13-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 24,143,685 times
Reputation: 4532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I thought pic #62 is kind creepy like insane asylum with dark torture chambers in the basement.
And pic #34 with the strange looking tree and shadowy wall have a feel of a haunted house too.
Yes...yes... probably just me reading too many crazy stories.

For the most part the other houses are beautiful and old in an elegant way. Thanks for all the
wonderful pics Nexis4Jersey. But I wonder if the Forest Hill Gardens people were freaking out
when you were in their neighborhood, because they might think of you as a burglar scouting
their houses and neighborhood.
I never had a problem usually people are surprised that someone has taken interest in there neighborhood. I always seem to find myself chatting it up with one of the locals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 8,632,902 times
Reputation: 3554
I love Forest Hill Gardens, but I've always been kinda scared to explore it on foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top