U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM

12,381 posts, read 24,143,685 times

Advertisements

Next Week's Trip ...
New Rochelle
Woodside - New Rochelle
Glen Island Park
Pelham Bay Park
City Island
Pelham Manor
Pelham
Forest Hills at Night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,660,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I took a friend who recently moved to NYC a year ago (and lives on the UWS) through Forest Hills Gardens hoping to show her the beauty of the neighborhood and that there is more to NYC than Manhattan and as we were walking through she said, "This place is kinda cheesy." I said, "Really?" This is not the response I usually get when I do this "tour" so I was taken aback and didn't really press her on what she meant. She's crazy, right? Are there people that don't like Forest Hills Gardens?
Some people (like your friend) have a Manhattan-only (or heart-of-the-big-city-only) outlook on life. To them, having people on top of them, below them, and squeezed in on all sides of them every single day, every moment, every hour, everywhere they live or work or shop or do whatever else, is the ONLY life for them. They only appreciate super-urbanity. Hence, anything to them that isn't very dense and "Manhattan-ized" in its look-and-feel is frowned upon by them (hence, she brought up the word "cheesy" to describe how she felt about all that is Forest Hills Gardens). I surmise that Forest Hills Gardens, to her, doesn't have the urban "in-your-face" grit of Manhattan. She may well think the same way (or nearly so) even about many parts of the Upper East Side of Manhattan that she would likely deem too pristine, well-manicured, bucolic, et al for her tastes.

I used to think similarly when I was much younger and a wide-eyed hippie/hipster and radical-lib type and only wanted to be in the very middle of the urban action . . . with poverty all around me, with beggars and panhandlers accosting you every block, with wild-eyed crazies roaming the streets, with lots of sound and visual effects and big city cutting-edge ACTION everywhere. In my later years (i.e., for my HOME environment), already being near the senior years, I've come to more appreciate and prefer a residential environment of peace, quiet, tranquility, kemptness, et al while still being reasonably convenient. Forest Hills Gardens most certainly would fit that criteria beautifully.

Just like I used to visit family or relatives in Long Island (most often without having my own car or even a rented car at my avail) and I couldn't imagine what anyone saw in Long Island. In later years (of course, with having a car at my avail), I came to love Long Island and came to be able to appreciate suburban living as an option (depending upon exactly where and how one can live, of course). I also can appreciate the city for what it offers and for what it is. I just see it ALL (city and suburb) together from the perspective of it all being there for us to partake of if & as we see fit. Forest Hills Gardens is a nice compromise or middle ground between the city and the suburbs (like a hybrid of the two).

Come to think of it: She chose the word "cheesy". Well, much much much of modern-day Manhattan are so "Hollywood-ized" and "Disney-fied" that it can often impress me as being "inauthentic" and "cheesy". I often prefer to be in the other 4 boroughs or elsewhere outside Manhattan because it most often feels more like old, traditional, authentic "New York" whereas much of Manhattan has come to feel so "plastic", "cheesy", "gaudy", et al. I'd rather be in Forest Hills or Flushing or Park Slope or Bay Ridge or Woodlawn or Bayside or Riverdale or the West Bronx/Grand Concourse or <wherever else it feels "authentic New York" as opposed to what much of Manhattan has become>.

Last edited by UsAll; 02-22-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 PM

10,780 posts, read 9,229,566 times
I don't think any suburb-like neighborhood in this country can keep with FHG. Riverdale definitely can't. Nor can Victorian Flatbush.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,711,239 times
I believe Forest Hills/Forest Hills Gardens is one of the better neighborhoods in the city. Thank you for the visual tour!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 PM

140 posts, read 91,583 times
Here are some pictures from last spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1030174.jpg   Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1030181.jpg   Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1030196.jpg   Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1030200.jpg   Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1030209.jpg  

Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 PM

140 posts, read 91,583 times
Some more pictures from last spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1020991.jpg   Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1030012.jpg   Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1030152.jpg   Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1030215.jpg   Forest Hill Gardens , the New York City Hidden from most of the World - My Photos-p1020966.jpg  

Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,581,842 times
Some other links:
Forest Hills Gardens, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Station Square in Forest Hills Gardens: Neighborhood Photos
http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/p...ghborhoods.jpg
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I wonder about those who dislike this area.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,362,196 times
So funny this thread came back up. My friend and I went for a walk through the area last night. FHG is such a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,772,736 times
Love Forest Hills. My husband and I often pick a place to eat on Metropolitan and half of the enjoyment is walking from Queens Blvd to Metropolitan and winding through the various streets to enjoy the architecture.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 17,146 times
It's an absolutely beautiful neighborhood. My wife and I head all the way up there from Brooklyn from time to time to catch a film, and perhaps a bite to eat, at the Cinemart movie theater and cafe. It's pretty cheap and typically has films that are just about finished with their first run at the major theaters. We always enjoy strolling through the neighborhood during the mile or so walk it takes to get to Cinemart from the subway station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or