Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If you want to buy a mansion in Fieldston, you might as well open up your search to many other metro suburb areas. If you want to buy an english tudor with a village feel, you have no other options other than the Gardens. FHG is not about having the largest house on the largest lot with the nicest city or water views. It is about having an architecturally beautiful home within a collection of other architecturally beautiful homes. It is about the entire english tudor village that makes the Gardens so special and unique. It is a village that was very well planned out, which is what makes it so expensive.
Well-thought-out response. I didn't ever think of it that way . . . i.e., FHG being designed to resemble a planned village, and an English Tudor village in particular (as differs from the design intentions of Fieldston, for instance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Well-thought-out response. I didn't ever think of it that way . . . i.e., FHG being designed to resemble a planned village, and an English Tudor village in particular (as differs from the design intentions of Fieldston, for instance).
Well, I always wondered why more areas didn't take the same approach. I mean of all the cookie cutter subdivisions these days, you'd think there would be another of its kind.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Well, unless I haven't seen every square inch of Forest Hills Gardens yet (which I love), Fieldston appears to be like having a PhD and postdoctoral fellowship from Harvard University and Oxford University and Forest Hills Gardens appears to be like being in the 8th grade (in junior high school . . . just about ready to start high school in the 9th grade). Perhaps that is because the Fieldston area "appears" to be notably larger than FHG and to then also have hills, slopes, majestic views, et al and is alongside & overlooking a wide and long body of water (the Hudson River) and with a majestic view of the cliffs of New Jersey that lends a greater overall "majesty" to it than Forest Hills Gardens can offer (because Forest Hills Gardens is limited in how much land it can occupy and it is located within an all-flat terrain). And the properties in Forest Hills Gardens will hence also be smaller than can be possible in Fieldston (or so it appears to my less-than-informed senses or knowledge of the two comparative locations).

Regardless: Fieldston, Forest Hills Gardens, Jamaica Estates, Douglaston Manor, Midwood, Malba, and like places are all beautiful and desirable . . . each in their own way. Many of us wish we could live like that.
Thank you. I agree with you. I like that FH has more stores along Queens Blvd compared to Riverdale. But I also think the size of the land and water views makes it a nicer spot.
BTW is Jamaica Estates still holding up?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Thank you. I agree with you. I like that FH has more stores along Queens Blvd compared to Riverdale. But I also think the size of the land and water views makes it a nicer spot.
BTW is Jamaica Estates still holding up?
Yes. All things (all aspects) considered, I do like the ever greater space and therefore breathing room and privacy afforded by Fieldston but, in the end, I'd rather be nearer to the shopping, public transit, highways, et al and its central location (in the very heart of the entire NYC metro area) of Forest Hills and environs, including Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Middle Village, and the like. So I would likely pick FHG in the end for myself (over Fieldston).

As to Jamaica Estates: I haven't ever explored inside it in-person but have just seen it via many web-based photos, so I couldn't offer up an honest assessment of the totality of what is "Jamaica Estates". I've passed by and near the area various times in the past. The next time I am in the area (hopefully with a car at my avail), I will explore inside of it as a whole (in totality). (For that matter, I will do the same with Malba, Midwood, and some other locales that I haven't seen in a good while in my adult years.)

Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
So, who gets the nod? FH or Riverdale?
I have yet to explore the areas along Pelham Parkway ,or Jamaica Estates or few nicer areas of the Rockaways.... I'm leaning towards Forest Hills , although Douglaston comes close.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Here are some pics from this winter.

fh winter tudor - Imgur

fhg and fh

Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
AWESOME photos! I LOVE Forest Hills, so beautiful, quaint, serene and feels so much different than the rest of NYC. I feel as if I'm not even in the city.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Well, I always wondered why more areas didn't take the same approach. I mean of all the cookie cutter subdivisions these days, you'd think there would be another of its kind.
There are others, out in the suburbs. South Orange and Maplewood, NJ come to mind as very similar in layout/design to Forest Hills Gardens.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM

8 posts, read 7,741 times
By sheer luck Forest Hills was the first neighbourhoods we looked at when we were moving from Texas in 2006. I loved it because it reminded me my old Europe. Since then I have seen and worked in so many neighbourhoods in tri-state area due to my work in RE development. Unless NYC winters get in a habit of being as cold and miserable as this year I will remain in Forest Hills...

Old 03-11-2014, 05:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
There are others, out in the suburbs. South Orange and Maplewood, NJ come to mind as very similar in layout/design to Forest Hills Gardens.
From my quick walk around south orange and maplewood on google maps, it doesn't come close to Forest Hills Gardens english Tudor village feel. Too many shingled roofs, vinyl sidings and raised ranches, none of which would be allowed in the gardens. Also the lots are too big to give it that village feel. Unless I looked around the wrong part of town, they don't seem to have that same level of landscaped architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City