Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
None of those areas are poor, and College Point & Ridgewood nowadays are 50% White.

NYC hasnt had a lower-income class White neighborhood since probably the 1950s or 1960s.
Low-income - No... Working Class/working middle class just like many of the majority hispanic and black areas in this city - Yes.

And Ridgewood as of the 2010 census is 40% non hispanic white... College point has a higher white population and walking around the area it does seem as if most of the residents are at least second or third generation new yorkers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
None of those areas are poor, and College Point & Ridgewood nowadays are 50% White.

NYC hasnt had a lower-income class White neighborhood since probably the 1950s or 1960s.
50% is pushing it. 30% is more like it.

In any case, Brighton Beach has a low median income, on paper anyway. A few pockets are actually poor, with the bungalows, but overall, the area is working class. (Aside from that, it's an immigrant area anyway)

Gerritsen Beach doesn't really have any low-income portions (like I said, on paper anyway). Neither does Edgewater Park or Howard Beach.

You have areas like Borough Park & Williamsburg that are low-income (similar to Kiryas Joel upstate, all of them are enclaves of Hasidic Jews), but aside from that I can't think of any poor area in NYC that would really be "white trash" for lack of a better term.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 PM

34,087 posts, read 47,278,015 times
I took the info from City-Data itself. Lol

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM

402 posts, read 811,461 times
Well for precise neighborhood demo's as per 2010 cen. g00gle Mapping america 2010.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

Areas that give me the vibe the OP is asking about but would have to be confirmed by another more informed poster...

Bay Ridge
Kensington
Marine Park

In response to the OP's question, you're qualifications especially for NYC which has traditionally been an ethnic/immigrant city is pretty limited... If you remove the qualification that they need to be white americans there are other working class majority white areas left in this city...

Maspeth
Kew Gardens
East Ridgewood
Borough Park
Sheepshead Bay
Brighton Beach
Woodlawn
I agree with this post except for Bay Ridge and Marine Park. Both areas are very middle class and have pretty high median incomes. Kensington is actually very mixed [I heards there's a large Paki community there.], but whites are still the largest group.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
I took the info from City-Data itself. Lol
It's from the 2000 census, so it's outdated.

Aside from that, with Ridgewood, city-data has it listed as about 60% Hispanic, 25% White, and 15% Black/Asian, so I don't know where you get 50% White from.

Plus, city-data doesn't always have the best boundaries anyway. Their definition of Ridgewood includes northern Bushwick, but excludes the area east of Myrtle Avenue (not that it really makes a difference here). But in any case, I wouldn't just blindly use the city-data info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Well for precise neighborhood demo's as per 2010 cen. g00gle Mapping america 2010.
Just keep in mind that for income, the census bureau is never precise, because they base it off samples. So you happen to get a crappy sample, and the data is all off (for instance, there was a part of Camden that Google Streetview showed as having a ton of abandoned homes, and yet apparently, the median income was $55,000 according to the 2005-2009 community survey).

Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It's from the 2000 census, so it's outdated.

Aside from that, with Ridgewood, city-data has it listed as about 60% Hispanic, 25% White, and 15% Black/Asian, so I don't know where you get 50% White from.
I think City Data included a large chunk of Bushwick into Ridgewood for some odd reason, it says the border is Wilson Avenue which is pretty far from the actual border. Whites are only the majority in the eastern portions of Ridgewood [area east of Forest Avenue], which is where much of the Polish population resides. The central portions is mixed, but hispanics are the majority, and they are the overwhelmingly majority west of Onderdonk Ave.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Ridgewood is and always has been an immigrant neighborhood... Currently, it's a close to majority hispanic area with large concentrations of first and second generation polish, romanian, and middle eastern residents... With Glendale, the only area that could be considered working class would be the liberty park section which is borderline Ridgewood/Bushwick/Cypress Hills and that area is about 60-65% hispanic...

The rest of the area does have a growing hispanic population, but it remains majority white and is middle to upper middle class. And Maspeth has officially replaced Greenpoint as the new little poland... I'd definitely say College Point though is a solid answer but it isn't dominated by white folks anymore. It's pretty mixed but I'd still say that the white population is the largest group.

Areas that give me the vibe the OP is asking about but would have to be confirmed by another more informed poster...

Bay Ridge
Kensington
Marine Park

In response to the OP's question, you're qualifications especially for NYC which has traditionally been an ethnic/immigrant city is pretty limited... If you remove the qualification that they need to be white americans there are other working class majority white areas left in this city...

Maspeth
Kew Gardens
East Ridgewood
Borough Park
Sheepshead Bay
Brighton Beach
Woodlawn
Arthur Ave
etc.

Bay Ridge? It is mostly white---but poor? Perhaps they live amongst the multimillion dollar homes.

Marine Park is even more white than BR. It is definitely cheaper to purchase a home there. But I would say it definitely has a "we're in the suburbs" middle-class feel.

Boro Park has had so much construction done in the area, with houses completely built-up, that probably the only affordable thing left there are apartments. Sheepshead Bay/Brighton Beach are probably cheaper to live in (and sometimes you can still find dirt cheap bungalows around SB) but some places have really been built-up as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
From my observation is that poor whites in NYC are more likely to live amongst poor groups of Hispanics and AA. I'm not sure if poor white areas of NYC exist? A buddy of mines who lives in sheepshead bay say's its the hood out there! I do know some whites who act ghetto.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
This is not true; or, perhaps your definition of "lower income" is the question.

There were "lower income" and/or working class *white* areas well into the 90s!!!

Astoria, Queens is the most obvious one to come to my mind, just as an example. The 80s and into the 90s, VERY poor, uneducated whites lived in tenanment conditions AND in Public Housing.

All of the 70s and into the 80s, NYCHA projects like the Sheepshead Bay Houses, Glenwood Houses were big MAJORITY white.

Again, into the 90s, some of the projects in Astoria were majority white, such as Queenbridge and specifically Woodside Houses.

In addition, the white working class and white poor, often blend into higher income neighborhoods. A keen eye is neeeded to note the *spots* within those neighborhoods where they exist. Often in whatever *subpar* housing and tenaments which exist in a middle class neighborhood. Often a whole *section* of a middle class neighborhhod will be poor and working class whites.

This same pattern followed into the suburbs during whiteflight. A portion of suburbia consists of very small low cost homes, much of which is rented. This housing is inhabited by working class and poor whites.

Other areas of working class and poor whites, not effected by Sandy, include, Fort Hamilton, Kensiington, Parkville, Greenwood, Gravesend, etc. Most often working class and poor whites inhabit *border* regions. Areas of two or more neighborhood convergences where housing development lagged behind for various reasons, the middle aand upper middle development of the greater neighborhoods.

Look back in history and something *negative* about the specific area will be found. For example *border* areas were often used to place pig bucheries, dumps for coal ash, and other bygone unattractive, but necessary functions. These areas, generally remain, somewhat under developed and inhabited by working class and poor whites.

Up and until the *crack days*, poor whites c/b be found in isolated spots of Brownsviille and East NY too. Similarly, in "Pigtown" area of Crown Heights/East Flatbush. You might know it as Wingate. This area was a quarter to a third white into the 80s.

Even the Rockaways, thought to be black ghettoed, has a significant portion of poor and working class whites to this day!! Also, exposed by Sandy!

On this subject, I know little of the other boroughs, other what I've mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City