Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamEntropy36 View Post
I recently turned 30 and don't really care about trendy, but I don't want to be in a neighborhood full of families. I'm also not single so I'm not on the prowl, but I do want to be around some type of energy. I'm guessing from the responses I should narrow things down to Brooklyn Heights and Astoria.
Astoria has energy but Williamsburg tends to have the best parties with all the hipsters occupying the area nowadays. Its just an ugly area aestically (I think) but there's always stuff happening in Willisburg. Its the artsy-fartsy hpstr capital of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I enjoy Brooklyn Heights since you'll be in Manhattan super fast but I personally have a thing for Astoria. I just love the ethnic diversity, Astoria park and "Hookah Lane" in Steinway, Noguchi Museum. Overall, I just enjoy Queens better. However, if you're looking for hip parties and art Williamsburg is the place to be and its also a zip line into the LES from the JMZ lines.

I enjoy Park Slope since its very laid back, nice cafes and everything. Like I said, I prefer Astoria but that's just me.
Brooklyn Heights is a super fast commute to Lower Manhattan and Astoria is a fast commute to Midtown Manhattan. Park Slope is another nice neighborhood as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I enjoy Brooklyn Heights since you'll be in Manhattan super fast but I personally have a thing for Astoria. I just love the ethnic diversity, Astoria park and "Hookah Lane" in Steinway, Noguchi Museum. Overall, I just enjoy Queens better. However, if you're looking for hip parties and art Williamsburg is the place to be and its also a zip line into the LES from the JMZ lines.

I enjoy Park Slope since its very laid back, nice cafes and everything. Like I said, I prefer Astoria but that's just me.
You left out the Museum of the Moving Image

PS1 in Long Island City is also fairly close. My only thing with Astoria is that most of the neighborhood isn't very pretty architecturally.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You left out the Museum of the Moving Image

PS1 in Long Island City is also fairly close. My only thing with Astoria is that most of the neighborhood isn't very pretty architecturally.
DOH!! I totally forgot those spots. I love PS1 MOMA shame on me, and theres also 5 Points (grafitti factory). Astoria isn't astounding archectually at all but its not ugly either. Its more of a "working class" area with basic houses and buildings with some nice bars, restaurants, museums thrown in.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM

65 posts, read 239,322 times
Quote:
Astoria has energy but Williamsburg tends to have the best parties with all the hipsters occupying the area nowadays. Its just an ugly area aestically (I think) but there's always stuff happening in Willisburg. Its the artsy-fartsy hpstr capital of NYC.
My girlfriend went with me apartment hunting and I told her I was interested in Williamsburg, after walking around she said it looked like a hobo town..lol.. but I assured her that's just the look of the neighborhood.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM

393 posts, read 783,009 times
Quote:

Quote:
I agree, I love Astoria too. It's still relatively affordable (although that's rapidly changing), and while there are a lot more younger people there now, I feel like it's much more ideal for someone in their mid-twenties to mid-thirties...and really older too. There is a place for everyone. The nightlife is good too..you have your everything from pubs to trendy bars to beer gardens to euro lounges..although the trendy bars aren't really as "trendy" as Manhattan's definition of that word.

As far as Williamsburg, it is more rowdy maybe, but it depends on how you define a good party. I can't stand the Williamsburg hobo hipster soirees, so to me that's more of a disadvantage than an advantage. I would never live there unless my rent was free. Just the thought makes me cringe. The rents there suck too.

Brooklyn Heights is gorgeous...but that comes at a premium. If money is no object for you, I would probably pick Brooklyn Heights. Otherwise, Astoria.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
My girlfriend went with me apartment hunting and I told her I was interested in Williamsburg, after walking around she said it looked like a hobo town..lol.. but I assured her that's just the look of the neighborhood.
Yeah, it really is just the look of the place, but its definitely happening. A few years back it was ghetto as heck but now since hipsters are there, its the place to be and the grittiness of it allures the musicians, artist out to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I agree, I love Astoria too. It's still relatively affordable (although that's rapidly changing), and while there are a lot more younger people there now, I feel like it's much more ideal for someone in their mid-twenties to mid-thirties...and really older too. There is a place for everyone. The nightlife is good too..you have your everything from pubs to trendy bars to beer gardens to euro lounges..although the trendy bars aren't really as "trendy" as Manhattan's definition of that word.

As far as Williamsburg, it is more rowdy maybe, but it depends on how you define a good party. I can't stand the Williamsburg hobo hipster soirees, so to me that's more of a disadvantage than an advantage. I would never live there unless my rent was free. Just the thought makes me cringe. The rents there suck too.

Brooklyn Heights is gorgeous...but that comes at a premium. If money is no object for you, I would probably pick Brooklyn Heights. Otherwise, Astoria.

Right on. Except, I feel as far as the age goes in Astoria, it can really be for everyone and the main reason is that Astoria and Gantry State Park are very close by and people of all ages hang out there. To jog, exercise, picnic, hangout etc. In comparison to Williamsburg though, its definitely much more family oriented.

I'm mixed on Williamsburg. I really DO NOT like the area aesthetically at all. Its just so cramped, looks really dingy, dirty and just simply ugly, its not pleasing on the eyes to me at all. As for the parties and the bars though, I'll admit its definitely a ton of fun to be and hangout, depending if you're into that type of stuff. Its personally not my list of places I would want to live either, and you're right, the rents are horrible over there but your definitely in proximity to Manhattan and there's plenty of things happening in the area.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
I'm narrowing my search down to a few locations and wanted an opinion on which is the most appealing. Here are the locations I'm trying to find an apartment for rent.

1.Brooklyn - Fort Greene, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg
2. Queens - Astoria

-Which of the neighborhoods is the safest?
-Which of the neighborhoods are the best for parking a car?
-Which has nightlife available...ie, bars, restaurants etc. ?
-Which has closest access to the subway?

Add any other info I should be aware of.
Cost wise, Astoria, is level plus below all, and has the lower level nightlife as well. Consequently, Astoria is significantly cheaper!

Williamsburg, while more expensive than Astoria, overall it is cheaper than the remaining areas, with some exception. Williamsburg also the young people focus neighborhood.

Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Fort Greene, are brownstone yuppie areas, expensive and more family oriented, than Astoria and/or Williamsburg.

Astoria is also not fully gentrified and has VERY diverse population.

None of the areas are good for parking. None!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 AM

65 posts, read 239,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Cost wise, Astoria, is level plus below all, and has the lower level nightlife as well. Consequently, Astoria is significantly cheaper!

Williamsburg, while more expensive than Astoria, overall it is cheaper than the remaining areas, with some exception. Williamsburg also the young people focus neighborhood.

Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Fort Greene, are brownstone yuppie areas, expensive and more family oriented, than Astoria and/or Williamsburg.

Astoria is also not fully gentrified and has VERY diverse population.

None of the areas are good for parking. None!
Yeah the parking thing is fully coming into view. I have found a garage for $200 a month in Brooklyn, but I'm still torn between Astoria and somewhere in Brooklyn preferably close to Manhattan.

Is $200 reasonable for a garage and are there cheaper in the area that you know of?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
I'm narrowing my search down to a few locations and wanted an opinion on which is the most appealing. Here are the locations I'm trying to find an apartment for rent.

1.Brooklyn - Fort Greene, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg
2. Queens - Astoria

-Which of the neighborhoods is the safest?
-Which of the neighborhoods are the best for parking a car?
-Which has nightlife available...ie, bars, restaurants etc. ?
-Which has closest access to the subway?

Add any other info I should be aware of.
Astoria, Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope all have restaurants, bars, shopping and easy subway access. Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope are a better commute to Lower Manhattan and Astoria is a better commute to Midtown. These 3 neighborhoods are quite safe. Williamsburg is a more artistic and upcoming neighborhood. I don't know anything at all about Fort Greene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City