Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times

Advertisements

West Farms. That whole 170's Bryant, Vyse area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGC10783 View Post
I live just north of Borough Park, and don't think its 'depressing'- well-kept homes and tree-lined streets, decent food options along the avenues, and public transit. Maybe 'bland', but not any moreso than many parts of Queens or SI...

It was even nicer 40 years ago - a lot of those 3 and 6 family homes with balconies are built where early 20th cent prairie style homes used to be.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 PM

94 posts, read 216,365 times
Surprised no one here mentioned Far Rockaway. The ocean combined with the housing projects and abandoned houses. During the winter it is really a ghost town during the day and at night.

My guess is it is now even more depressing after hurricane sandy.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
Try Ocean Ave all the way down even into Ave Z.
What?

Ocean Avenue is not depressing at all. The architecture around it is very nice. In fact I was on Avenue Z last weekend visiting my friends, it looked lively and diverse

Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
This is one of the most stupid threads, not worthy of revival.

Quite obviously, it is all a subjective.

Some people prefer champagne, others beer, some plain water. Is one more depressing than the other?

What is depressing is the sort of Nazi/Communist mindsets which seek to define for everyone and impose on all.

Ocean Avenue depressing. Boro Park depressing. Bushwich depressing. "Ghostown" depressing.

LMAO! Anything one does not prefer is DEPRESSING. Is that the way it is? Nothing to appreciate in what you do not prefer?

One might think most of you are inexperienced immature teenages, but I know many of you are not! One can only wonder at the ethic you do or will teach your children!

Depressing is the shallowness of your minds.

The only depressing places are those of poverty and ignorance where children are born into without their consent.

/jcoltrane

Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
This is one of the most stupid threads, not worthy of revival.

Quite obviously, it is all a subjective.

Some people prefer champagne, others beer, some plain water. Is one more depressing than the other?

What is depressing is the sort of Nazi/Communist mindsets which seek to define for everyone and impose on all.

Ocean Avenue depressing. Boro Park depressing. Bushwich depressing. "Ghostown" depressing.

LMAO! Anything one does not prefer is DEPRESSING. Is that the way it is? Nothing to appreciate in what you do not prefer?

One might think most of you are inexperienced immature teenages, but I know many of you are not! One can only wonder at the ethic you do or will teach your children!

Depressing is the shallowness of your minds.

The only depressing places are those of poverty and ignorance where children are born into without their consent.

/jcoltrane
I was just about to give you a rep, then you threw your opinion there on what's depressing!!!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Ok, I think I'll live.

So, what's your issue with my opinion? The truth of it?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Ok, I think I'll live.

So, what's your issue with my opinion? The truth of it?
You blasted everybody for having an opinion on what's depressing. Then with a clean slate you set the record straight..?? It sounded as if two persons just contradicted themselves.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM

No, I did not "blast everybody" for having an opinion.

Perhaps, that is your view of my comments, but my thought is the wholesale SHALLOWNESS of the "opinions". Specifically, when compared to what is TRULY depressing.

IMO, people gave "preferences". Simply because something is not preferred, makes it depressing? Boro Park, depressing? Ocean Avenue, depressing? A particular part of town, clears out at night, depressing? It's all absurd!

None are actually depressing! Simply different. This thread is certainly NOT a celerbration of *difference*; and, in many ways, the mindset exhibited is anti NYC! NYC is not about sameness. Not about everywhere exhbiting the same values, ethic, style and ideas. Which is precisely what this thread evokes!

If it is not what is preferreed. Not what one approves. Not what one values. Then it is depressing! No one appeared to find value in anything not in their mindset.

Further, I did not state an opinion. I stated a fact; and, it is no *place* in particular. One would think it provided some perspective upon "depressing".

Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM

I have no idea of what you just said, o great thinker!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City