U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 AM

893 posts, read 1,610,285 times

Advertisements

I was in NYC awhile ago to see some broadway shows and while I was there I figured I'd check out some venues. The first night I was there I went to a venue called Terminal 5 and saw a dance-punk band called the faint. While I wasn't particularly impressed with this particular band or venue, I absolutely LOVED seeing Caspian at an intimate little joint called The Bowery Ballroom. Anyway, I was wondering how vibrant the indie electronic scene was there in general. I wish I had more to compare it to, but I am a senior in high school and don't live in a major city. For anyone who lives in the area, what are your thoughts on the reputation of the NYC scene compared to others?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,215,339 times
There is a scene and there are quite a few well-known Indie bands based out of NYC but I don't know how much real legs this current scene has because there doesn't seem to be that grassroots foundation that there was years ago. It's pretty tough for musicians to start here in NYC. Many of these bands are started by transplants who then choose to base themselves here but there are not too many bands that are truly coming out of New York.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,486,347 times
Most people who just got into the EDM (hate that word so much) scene over the past 2/3 yrs really has a different taste then some of us seasoned veterans of nightlight and who work in the industry.

Best club in NYC is CIELO we celebrate 10yrs next sat and will be around another 10yrs only club that caters to House Music only 6 sometimes 7 nights a week. Not commercial dance music no top 40 nonsense. Real House Music and its various genres. No other CLUB in Nyc can say that.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 AM

134 posts, read 229,440 times
^^. I will keep that in mind when I am not going to warehouse parties in Brooklyn on the weekends.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM

18 or 21+?
I'd love to check that out next time I'm in NYC

Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,486,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
^^. I will keep that in mind when I am not going to warehouse parties in Brooklyn on the weekends.
Alot of people who go to warehouse parties go because of the "cool" factor and eventually actually become fans of the music which is a good thing.

Things i hate about warehouse parties are lack of AC,wood flooring dancing on cement sucks, lack of proper restrooms/sinks,etc and the possibility of being shut down. Over the past 5yrs or so warehouse parties in different parts of brooklyn thanks to certain groups who put it together have def introduce the scene to people who wouldnt know better.

One of the most hysterical moments for me at a warehouse party less than a yr ago was a group of people who came in together some looked happy some look scared some look like lets just have fun. One of of the dudes asks one of his guy friends who is the dj tonight, the gf answered we have no idea to which the guy she was with responded you wont hear this music played in the city obviously new to the scene and/or only does brooklyn/warehouse parties cause they think its better/cooler than city, etc

Going to NINA KRAVIZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
18 or 21+?
I'd love to check that out next time I'm in NYC
Cielo is 21 and over send me a message when back in town and i will take care of it for you.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Sounds good to me man.
Besides Cielo are there any other attractions I should look at?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,666,020 times
Cielo is great especially for the more hardcore, music lovers.

The broader EDM is really expanding in NYC. Just look at all the top DJs who were in NYC over NYE. More and more of your higher end, bottle service clubs are catering strictly to EDM, i.e. lavo, marquee re-opening, and finale. For such a small place, it's amazing some of the djs lavo has had in the past year or so, i.e. armin, tiesto, dirty south (tonight), hardwell, avicii, gareth emory, etc.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM

I don't like the big names as much as the sleepers.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
Default Nyc

I am coming to the manhattan area on the 1st and 2nd of Feb..looking for something fun that is not heels and dress kind of place with good local house/deep house music...any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: