Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: Two People Struck By Separate Lexington Ave Trains At 125th Street Station: Gothamist

It seems like there has been a rash of these incidents lately. Is there any way to prevent this from continuing to happen so often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
NYC averages around 150 people getting hit by trains per year but most of them are suicides and a large percentage of the non suicides involve people who are intoxicated.There is no way you are going to prevent suicides jumping and drunks falling onto the tracks.

Most of the incidents that are not fatal don't even make it to the news.If you look at the gothamist newsmap daily you will see how frequent they really are.They are labeled as "train jobs".

Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It seems like there has been a rash of these incidents lately. Is there any way to prevent this from continuing to happen so often?
Stopping the media from sensationalizing it will be the best prevention. There was no media circus prior to the murder at 49th St. station regarding other customers being hit, so what's the deal now?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
UPDATE: Two People Struck By Separate Lexington Ave Trains At 125th Street Station: Gothamist

I just read this in the news myself. There is talk of installing a clear plastic partition on platforms, Though the cost this involves will likely never allow it to be built. It should be built. No one should have to die under the wheels of a train. Aside from drunk people and suicides people might faint, Or simply get bumped on a crowded platform and lose thier balance. the below poster is correct, This happens more often then reported.

There is another measure that was mentioned about subway cars slowing down significantly before entering the station, or a light warning system that can be activated by the public. The problems though are a system-wide slowdown and signals affected when trains slow down like this, And the safety system will no doubt be abused by pranksters. Just like kids pulling fire alarms.

Something has to give though. Enough is enough.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
There were about 290 pedestrians and bicyclists killed by cars in NYC in one year (Summer 2011- Summer 2012) and we normally only hear about a tiny fraction of those deaths. So I agree, this is a media circus sparked by the first murder on the tracks at 49th St.

I would expect that murders on the subway tracks would be newsworthy, but I don't want to see every single accident, suicide or drunk person falling sensationalized. I do look at gothamist newsmap from time to time and there is quite a bit of police activity (some of it serious) going on every day and most of it doesn't make the news. News Map: Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
I was kicked off my train at 59th/Lex due to this incident...then a SWAT team rushed into the station

Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Wow,one of the guys who got killed was taking a crap between the subway cars while the train was
moving !

Just when you thought you had heard it all, New York.This might be a new low.I saw a guy taking a crap down on the tracks once, years ago but this takes the cake.

Man falls to his death after defecating between subway cars; another injured at same station - NYPOST.com

The other guy was drunk.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-15-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Wow,one of the guys who got killed was taking a crap between the subway cars while the train was
moving !

Just when you thought you had heard it all, New York.This might be a new low.I saw a guy taking a crap down on the tracks once, years ago but this takes the cake.

Man falls to his death after defecating between subway cars; another injured at same station - NYPOST.com

The other guy was drunk.
My roommate and I saw that and said "Darwin award" in unison!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
Very unfortunate, what a freak accident. So many times I've taken a poo between subway cars, never imagined anything like that would happen.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I just read this in the news myself. There is talk of installing a clear plastic partition on platforms, Though the cost this involves will likely never allow it to be built. It should be built. No one should have to die under the wheels of a train. Aside from drunk people and suicides people might faint, Or simply get bumped on a crowded platform and lose thier balance. the below poster is correct, This happens more often then reported.

There is another measure that was mentioned about subway cars slowing down significantly before entering the station, or a light warning system that can be activated by the public. The problems though are a system-wide slowdown and signals affected when trains slow down like this, And the safety system will no doubt be abused by pranksters. Just like kids pulling fire alarms.

Something has to give though. Enough is enough.
About 1.5 billion Subway Rides a Year, 75 deaths per year, many of which are suicides.
That number is astronomically low.

Compared to 24 cyclists, about 150 pedestrians, and god knows how many motorists- and the subway tracks are a relatively safe place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City