Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
So you want to see union busting. You want lower wages, no pension, no job security, no health insurance. no bennies of any kind. Why exactly? What do you do for a living?
Yes because it is bankrupting the City. Unions as is already have overly generous contracts that they don't deserve but they are greedy and want more. And if the City gives in, guess who is holding the bill? Me and the rest of us tax payers. Unions are taking money out of my pockets with their generous salaries PLUS benefits, pensions, etc. Besides, where do you think that money comes from? Out of thin air?

All these unions are rackets runned by or ties to the mob. It even came out on the Newspaper. I'm with Sobro in that I support unions more in the private section than public sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes because it is bankrupting the City. Unions as is already have overly generous contracts that they don't deserve but they are greedy and want more. And if the City gives in, guess who is holding the bill? Me and the rest of us tax payers. Unions are taking money out of my pockets with their generous salaries PLUS benefits, pensions, etc. Besides, where do you think that money comes from? Out of thin air?

All these unions are rackets runned by or ties to the mob. It even came out on the Newspaper. I'm with Sobro in that I support unions more in the private section than public sector.

What is holding this city hostage is the pension padding that the city & state unions have allowed to go on for decades. Pensions could be better controlled & cost less if they weren't allowed to be padded with OT pay. I'm a Teamster & my pension was locked at a certain rate regardless of how much OT I put in. I also think that pensions should be allowed to be collected until a person reaches a certain age, say 55. City & state workers put their 20 or 25 years in & are collecting life time pensions from their late to mid 40's for life.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM

338 posts, read 677,146 times
Nobody here really cares what they think in Pennsylvania I imagine if one of us were butting into your community and telling us what we should do and think, you might not like it--especially since the cost of living in NYC is astronomically higher. Your opinions are uninformed and basically worthless, since you don't live here.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
$38,000 for 4-5 hours of work (TOPS) 180 days of the year with benefits is cake.
It's not the hardest job true but $38,000 ain't much to live off in an expensive city. Also those buses are uncomfortable and I would imagine dealing with other people's loud poorly raised children can wear on you...

Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
What is holding this city hostage is the pension padding that the city & state unions have allowed to go on for decades. Pensions could be better controlled & cost less if they weren't allowed to be padded with OT pay. I'm a Teamster & my pension was locked at a certain rate regardless of how much OT I put in. I also think that pensions should be allowed to be collected until a person reaches a certain age, say 55. City & state workers put their 20 or 25 years in & are collecting life time pensions from their late to mid 40's for life.
I think you meant should not be allowed...

Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Meanwhile, I'm working with some union construction workers from...drumroll please....PENNSYLVANIA who literally get up at 0300 hours to be in Manhattan by 0700. They're spending a third of their day in transit for that sweet NYC prevailing wage which no doubt goes very far back in Trailerparkistan.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times

88 posts, read 37,440 times

Nobody here really cares what they think in Pennsylvania I imagine if one of us were butting into your community and telling us what we should do and think, you might not like it--especially since the cost of living in NYC is astronomically higher. Your opinions are uninformed and basically worthless, since you don't live here.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Gee -- considering the number of responses so far, your statement appears to be WRONG.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
88 posts, read 37,440 times

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Gee -- considering the number of responses so far, your statement appears to be WRONG.
NYC is a union stronghold. Regardless of what the posters on CD say, many REAL LIFE people here are PRO UNION. Yes, the parents are being inconvenienced, but those same parents "understand" why it's happening and why it's necessary.

The Mayor and Schools Chancellor are trying to make the bus unions out to be evil, greedy "villains" who should only work for $5 an hour.

We're not falling for it and neither is New Jersey and Californians most definitely are pro-union.

Bloomberg is an ass.wipe and so is his chancellor lapdog.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 AM

420 posts, read 805,108 times
Unions are nothing more than a money-laundering operation for the Democratic Party. Unions destroyed manufacturing in this country and they have destroyed the public school system. I hope to see the day that every state is a "right to work state."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City