Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,617 times

Advertisements

ok, i currently live in minneapolis just having moved here from madison, wi. it's not what i expected, really not for me and I'll leave it at that in case someone from the twin cities is reading this. Anyways, I'm still in college and looking to move to NYC, I doubt my grades are of the quality to get into NYU or Columbia but does anyone know of any "second tier" private colleges with great business schools in NYC? and the cost of a studio apartment near campus. I have no problem taking the subway as well so maybe not near campus is also an option. I hate to post yet ANOTHER thread since there already exists so many of them it was just a little over-whelming. I've lived in Frankfurt am Main, Germany for a few years as well kinda missing that whole "compactness" if someone could recommend an area with everything close together that would be exceptional.
With all the improvements in public transit in Minneapolis they still have a long ways to go compared to NYC.
Sorry if this post is by no means curt and to the point but I was so excited to move to Minneapolis with the hopes that it would be the metropolis of the north with so much culture as it appeared from an outsider but sadly this is not the case and now I am stuck here til May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
I would hope that you "have no problem taking the subway" because honestly in any city you should venture outside of your immediate neighborhood.

First, have you been to NYC?

What makes you want to come to NYC?

You moved already to a different city and it's "not for you", so what makes you think NYC is for you?

As for studios near NYU, you realize that would be close to $2,000/month + utilities.

What are you majoring in?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 PM

19 posts, read 68,771 times
welcome to nyc

Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotlowski View Post
ok, i currently live in minneapolis just having moved here from madison, wi. it's not what i expected, really not for me and I'll leave it at that in case someone from the twin cities is reading this. Anyways, I'm still in college and looking to move to NYC, I doubt my grades are of the quality to get into NYU or Columbia but does anyone know of any "second tier" private colleges with great business schools in NYC? and the cost of a studio apartment near campus. I have no problem taking the subway as well so maybe not near campus is also an option. I hate to post yet ANOTHER thread since there already exists so many of them it was just a little over-whelming. I've lived in Frankfurt am Main, Germany for a few years as well kinda missing that whole "compactness" if someone could recommend an area with everything close together that would be exceptional.
With all the improvements in public transit in Minneapolis they still have a long ways to go compared to NYC.
Sorry if this post is by no means curt and to the point but I was so excited to move to Minneapolis with the hopes that it would be the metropolis of the north with so much culture as it appeared from an outsider but sadly this is not the case and now I am stuck here til May.
If you are looking for undergrad go to Baruch. Lot of white shoe firms hire from Baruch.

Anyway, each graduate school is different and specializes in a different area. For example, if you want IB you go to NYU. If you want consulting you don't go to NYU. That applies for every grad school. You go to the one that specializes in your field.

If you are 21 and thinking about grad school pros and cons.

Cons:
-Big mistake to go straight to grad right out of undergrad.
-No experience means no job.
-Even MB7 graduates with no work experience get no job offers.
-Typically, the good schools prefer if you have at least 2-3 years of work experience.

Not only do you need something to write about, but it also acts as a cutoff point for some universities. Nowadays, everyone passes the GMAT and people with 3.0 GPA get into MB7 schools. That means your essays are really the deciding factor as it's the only thing that separates you from the pack. You can't write a good essay if you have no work experience. Internships don't count as work experience. Average MBA student is 25+ so that is who you are competing with. A 3 month internship can’t compete with an Analyst who has been working full time for the past 3 years.

Pros:
-If you have nothing else, get an MBA and do an internship
-Increase network
-Abuse professional development center to death
-Depending on which school you go to, can get away with having no experience

Old 01-19-2013, 06:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
In addition to Baruch's MBA program, Yeshiva and St. John's University have MBA's. So does Fordham University. Yeshiva, St. John's, and Fordham are private (the last two are Catholic, the first is Jewish).

Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I would hope that you "have no problem taking the subway" because honestly in any city you should venture outside of your immediate neighborhood.

First, have you been to NYC?

What makes you want to come to NYC?

You moved already to a different city and it's "not for you", so what makes you think NYC is for you?

As for studios near NYU, you realize that would be close to $2,000/month + utilities.

What are you majoring in?
Just curious, what issue do some posters have here with young people moving to NYC to go to school or work? In a worst case scenario, if the person doesn't like it they can always leave. Its really up to them to figure out the details and all.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Just curious, what issue do some posters have here with young people moving to NYC to go to school or work? In a worst case scenario, if the person doesn't like it they can always leave. Its really up to them to figure out the details and all.
NYC is a great city but has little to do with the reputation it developed over the years. Young people from all over the world, dream of a place that exists only in their imagination. If NYC was a commercial entity, it would have been sued for false advertisement long ago.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM

115 posts, read 206,437 times
What's so bad about young people moving into NYC?? We young folks move to New York BECAUSE its a great city. Every city's reputation changes. I'm from Miami, and before it became the Party City and the Gateway to Latin America, it was the vacation home and permanent residence of many northerners, including old winter fleeing New Yorkers. Many people who came in the 40's and 50's would tell you that it's a different place now.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
If you can't get into Stern/NYU, then there is no point in going to business school. Get a job, then go to business school. If you want it to be in NYC, fine.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
You need to work before b-school. No one hires b-school grads who went straight from undergrad, even from the top schools (and certainly not outside the big seven). Business is extremely prestige and experience-driven. It's an enormous waste of money to go to b-school straight from undergrad or to go to a mid-ranked b-school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City