Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,590 times

Advertisements

I feel like I'm dying right now where I'm at. I wake up and just want to get out of here..it's so boring where I live and going out to the same bars and night life all the time is draining the life out of me. I feel like if I don't leave now and go somewhere I haven't been, I will fall into a deep depression and hate life.

A little background on me: I graduated from a UC school in southern california at 23. At that time, the economy was ****, so I took a couple marketing internships while I planned my move..I ended up studying for business school before leaving to figure out what I actually wanted to do. I dd OK on these tests but now don't even know if b school is what I want.. dumb move I know, but at the time it seemed smart (get your 'test' out of the way before you move to the city).. This took me about 4-5 months and I spent this time unhappy, lonely, stuck at my parents house. Finally, I took a contract job out in San Francisco for about 6 months. I moved back home right after..didn't take the time to really adjust and just wanted to come home.. big mistake again i think..after agonizing months of unemployment, I took several internships at production companies in Hollywood. I soon moved back home once again to plan on something else. Following this, I took work doing sales, and work in administration... I am now 26 and have money saved up to move somewhere else, but I worry that my work experience is sort of paltry and all over the place, so to speak. I am approaching my early late 20's and wonder if I can hack in it a big city like NYC, especially since I have only lived in places like San Fran and LA for about 6 months each... and in between have lived in my hometown.. I keep moving out, only to kind of fail and move back home. Anyway just some general advice would be appreciated..

I'd love to live in NYC, and have about 20k saved up to try to make it out there.. but wonder if somewhere else would be a better bet.. I have internships at media companies and have worked for a major, well known tech company in the bay area. I really want to go somewhere new... I've done SF, I've done LA.. I think, why go back? Why not go to Chicago, or New York...? I took a week long trip out to D.C., thinking I wanted to work at a think tank or NGO.. but ultimately just am over working in politics..it was something I was interested in my early 20's.. but now basically just follow politics as a hobby..the thing is, I have more connections in SF and LA and could land a job sooner.. but I feel like it's too comfortable.. and it's not what I want.. I'm very family oriented but feel I need to get away on my own, away from family to really figure out what's important in life... and I'm fascinated by New York an Chicago.. but more New York..I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what I want out of life yet career wise but am very ambitious and have money saved up for grad school. Thanks in advance for your advice..how old is too old for city-hopping?? Your perspective is appreciated..!

Last edited by oldsportish1; 01-21-2013 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
Hard to recommend a city when you are all over the place on the career.

You can try NYC; you will just burn through your savings faster. Being aggressive in finding work and with the networking would be more helpful here than other cities.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
You have 20 grand saved up, that's plenty enough to move anywhere without a job. But you definitely need to decide for sure where you want to live, if it's NYC or not. And stay there. I wouldn't just go on a whim.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
You failed in SF and LA, what makes you think you will succeed on NYC? But then again if some yokel from Alabama can move to Brooklyn and became mrs America anything is possible.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsportish1 View Post
How old is too old for city-hopping??
I moved to the city at 29; I was determined to spend my 30th birthday as a New Yorker. You’re not too old, but it’s easier to put up with roommates and small apartments (almost inevitable when you first move to the city) when you’re young.

If you want anything resembling a hip, elite career, you’re probably going to have to intern again.

Yes, the economy is bad right now. I was lucky that I graduated at the beginning of the dot.com boom. Companies were hiring anyone will a pulse in those days—but it’s not what I’m doing now. The fundamental truth remains: if you’re well educated and have a broad skill-set, it takes a long time, and a good bit of trial and error, to find a fulfilling career. The economy is an added hindrance, but no one is hanging around waiting to give you a cool job; they never have been and they never will be. You have to pick up experience, polish your skill-set, and make it for yourself.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
29 is definitely not too old to come to NYC and start over. I'm always a little surprised at the stiff cultural norms in the rest of the U.S. that have to do with age. It seems like in many parts you've gotta be married with kids, and living in a home you own by 27. If you hit 30 without these things you get labeled a "Peter Pan" type of guy. Never mind the huge volume of divorces that result.

Anyway, getting back to the point you've got more money saved than most young people that come here but you'll need to be someone's roommate. The only concerning issue is that NYC can be a very expensive place to find yourself in. It would be better if you had a focus before coming here -- since most successful people in NYC have a laser like focus and unwavering dedication to what they do.

If you haven't even visited NYC yet then I'd certainly do that first. If you still want to give it a go then I think you should.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
The good thing for you is that if it doesn't work out you can always move back to your hometown again, like you continue to do.

I say get the city out of your system.

What's your original hometown, if it's not California?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
I wouldn't move anywhere by myself where no relatives or
even friends live, unless there was a really good job there
waiting for me.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM

22 posts, read 36,087 times
Default Get a p/t job at least

With 20k, you could at least apply to or send out resumes to jobs in NY pretending you live there, and take a quick flight for an interview.

The cost of living in New York City, as previously stated, is very high. IMO, you shoud not move here with 20k and no job, once you figure out security deposits, commuting costs, etc., you might come close to blowing that. I'm in my late 20's and don't know anyone w/ 20k saved. Hang onto it. I came back to NYC from traveling in August and I have not found permanent f/t work yet with 2 degrees and a somewhat steady and consistent work history.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
i would stay in CA and first figure out what you want to do in life. You have 20K saved up that is pretty good. What was your major? You stated marking and business school but didn't advise what major. ALso, you job history is all over the place. You might come across a job hopper to a HR person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: