Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,003,647 times

Advertisements

According to the New York Times, Baychester is the place to buy!

Here is the link!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/re...pagewanted=all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 PM

34,127 posts, read 47,356,745 times
I could never live in a place where you have to take the bus to the train. I always have to be within walking distance (max 15 minutes) from the train.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,221,590 times
Well as long as the New York Times tells me to!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,066,593 times
That whole area was devasted by the mortage housing crisis. Its not really a working class, its more moddle class, and most of the people that live in baychester work in medical or healthcare fields. The areas is almost similar to southeast Queens or Canarsie in Brooklyn.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,151,355 times
The article says the MEAN household income for Baychester is $70,000 according to census data. Wikipedia says the MEDIAN household income in Baychester is $42,000 according to census data.

Is this some trick the Times is playing? Mean and median household incomes can be very different numbers, and (someone correct me if I'm wrong), when it comes to household income, it's the MEDIAN that is normally used, not the mean.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,423,473 times
You are correct, Henna, it is the median that is generally used when discussing the demographics of an area. However, I think it is a typo, because C-D's page on 10469 has a 2009 median of $62k. It's a middle-class area, overall.

What never fails to drive me crazy is when you read in The Times and other sources that it's just a piece of cake to buy a multi-family home and rent out the other unit(s) to pay your mortgage. That's a recipe for financial disaster, since you should be paying the same amount for which you would rent the unit, and either use it as a reserve in case of vacancy in the other unit(s), legal proceedings to get rid of a bad tenant, repairs on the house, including new plumbing, electrical, or HVAC. When it's your house and the hot water heater dies, you can schedule its replacement, but when you have tenants, it must be done on an emergency basis, or you will be in violation of housing regulations. They fail to mention that it's basically setting up a part-time business at your own home that never closes, and to which you need to be responsible 24-7. It can be financially advantageous, to be sure, but it's not as easy as just collecting rent checks and depositing them each month so you have no mortgage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,819,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The article says the MEAN household income for Baychester is $70,000 according to census data. Wikipedia says the MEDIAN household income in Baychester is $42,000 according to census data.

Is this some trick the Times is playing? Mean and median household incomes can be very different numbers, and (someone correct me if I'm wrong), when it comes to household income, it's the MEDIAN that is normally used, not the mean.
There is NO standard of use. Each has a different implication.

"Mean" is the same as Average.

"Median" is the midpoint or middle.

So, which is more telling to you?

A neighborhood in which HALF the people earn less than $42K; or where the average person earns $70K?

What does that tell you? Objectively? Does it tell you anything in terms of the *true* reality of the quality of life? Does it tell you what the quality of your neighbors will be like in any random block or sub-area?

Really important question:

Aren't either of those stats SKEWED by the presence of THREE housing projects?

Wouldn't the income of just those folks living in NYCHA bring down the *average* of the overall neighborhood income?

While satistically accurate, if the NYCHA authority incomes are discounted, wouldn't the *median* income be significantly higher for the rest of the neighborhood?

Answering those questions, how then does one view the quality of the area?

Should the area be considered "working class", middle class, or what?

Also, considering that NYCHA is often *high crime*, then is Baychester a high crime area? Or, does most of it have a better rate of crime?

I go through all that to emphasize that little to nothing can be gleaned from a single independant statistic; and, w/o feet on the ground what can anyone objectively KNOW?

IMO, one of the more telliing facts, is 'housing quality'!

Housing quality tends to mirror people quality, particularly, within the five boroughs!

Unfortnately, there is an emphasis, in this forum, on meaningless *independant* statistics, especially *crime* stats!

Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
That whole area was devasted by the mortage housing crisis. Its not really a working class, its more moddle class, and most of the people that live in baychester work in medical or healthcare fields. The areas is almost similar to southeast Queens or Canarsie in Brooklyn.
Here we go again with definitions of "class"!

What to you may appear as middle class, I would consider to be working class. Carnarsie is, and always has been, a predominatly working to lower middle class area.

Perhaps, even more so, in Carnarsie, given the increased *density* per household!!!

('Density of Households' hasn't been much of a subject topic in terms of household incomes, but it is an important point of determination.).

What percentage of singles and/or heads of households earning $100K to $150K? Does the housing quality meet such a demand?

That article did NOT describe *truly* desireable attractive middle class housing. Certainly not housing which can compete with a McMansion in the suburbs!!

Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I could never live in a place where you have to take the bus to the train. I always have to be within walking distance (max 15 minutes) from the train.
That is a pretty narrow viewpoint.

Take Queens, there are several two fare zones which would get you to the City in half the time it takes from the Rockaways!

So, in terms of commuting, such a hard and fast rule, doesn't really make sense. Especially when neighborhood quality, and/or school quality is considered.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,636,263 times
Some aluminum awning company must have made a fortune in Baychester, because they are everywhere - over doors, over windows - you name it. If the city would pass an anit-aluminim awning ordinance, the area would be much improved aesthetically, but even then, the type of housing is just not that attractive or desirable in my opinion- brick boxes with tiny windows on super flat terrain. This type of development can be found throughout the east Bronx to an extent, but in the northeast Bronx, there hardly seems to be anything else.

I understand that some people just really don't care about this stuff - they're looking for an affordable suburban neighborhood in the city and in that case, Baychester fits the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City